• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Runt1122

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Fulton County
    The wife and I are thinking about going to Kentucky in June for a 2-3 day trip and checking out some of the Bourbon Trail. Looking for recommendations of tours, places to stay, places to eat, etc. Not really looking at staying in Louisville...more interested in Bardstown, Lawrenceburg, etc.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've not been to them all but Heaven Hill is my favorite. They have an appreciation for wheated bourbon and when I was there they let you walk through a barrel house. The smells coming out of that building were nothing short of amazing.

One of these days I want to go see Buffalo Trace. Maker's Mark is pretty decent.

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    A few Years Ago, we went and stayed Downtown Bardstown And stayed the Jailers inn Bed and breakfast the host was nice and the breakfast was excellent ate supper 1 night across the road at mammy's kitchen it was decent at good size portions. We wish we would have gone on the supper train . Jim Beam is opening up a New Restuarant that we hope to try in the Spring

Last edited:

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    Back in 2013 I took my Dad on a trip there. Tent camped at Taylorsville Lake State Park. Buffalo Trace is interesting and big, Wild Turkey is gigantic and liked it also. Willett with their Still shaped bottle was neat, and my favorite was Four Roses.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Taking the wife on a day trip to Jim Beam this week... need to go see Maker's Mark and one day head down to Jack Daniel's.

I drove by this place last week and almost stopped in...
    e6820577b7bd8165887d416ddc762580.jpg

Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Are any of these pet friendly? Would definitely help me convince the wife to do a weekend trip if they were. Thanks!

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    Have not been back for a few years but have made 5 different trips in the last 14 years- 2 times just passing thru for 1 day, others for extended, 2 or 3 days swings. Over the years all have have "Upped" their game.
    -Wild Turkey's visitor center started in an VERY old home next to the distillery - Now they are in a new, NICE, shiny building. Our tour guide there was one of the most knowledgeable and informative we have taken.
    -Buffalo Trace has also added a newer tourist center and is on lovely grounds, this is one of my wife's favorites. At Christmas time they have a lighted trail to drive. They also offer a "Haunted distillery ghost tour". They have some wonderful samples

-Heaven Hill gives a great tour and tasting. And as Phylodog said, the smell of the barrels house was awesome... old wood and bourbon.
    -One time we hit Jim Beam as they opened for the day, a weekday. Turned out only 2 couples were signed up for the tour. We got a very personalized, behind the scenes view that we had never seen on other visits.
    -Our 1st time at Four Roses we fell in love with the distillery and their products. The gentleman giving the tour was a long time employee and proud of his work. Last 2 times we've been back, they were also in a new showroom/tasting room. Both the very 1st time there and also the last, we were there at end of the day and got to chat longer with the tour guides. Always great folks, and when not rushed to get to the next tour... they have interesting tales and tend to pour deeper samples.
    -To get to Woodford Reserve you go thru some of the prettiest horse county. A few miles of rolling hills, fences and thoroughbreds.

Go to the brand you like the best. Go to some you have never heard of. There are new ones joining each year. There is a "Large/corporate" list and the craft distillery list. You will not hit all of them in 1 trip unless you take a week or two. We liked Kurtz restaurant in Bardstown. We liked the Longhorn in Frankfort. Do not remember the places we ate in Louisville. As Littletommy said, Frankfort was way better than Louisville, and safer. We heard gunshots (more than a few) in Louisville and in the morning saw that our downtown hotel was just blocks from some NOT good spots of town. You cant go wrong with the Trail in general. Enjoy.

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    I was planning on going late last year. What I realized now that wasn't the case in 2019 was everything is reservation based and you need to get tickets weeks or months in advance. Before you needed tickets, but it was same day no big deal. Now, it's all sold out because there's 10 spots instead of 30 on a tour. So get tickets to whatever place you want to visit

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Kentucky Gun Company in Bardstown is great. You can spend hours there. Indoor range too.

dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    FYI there are two locations for Four Roses. The distillery at Lawrenceburg is the more complete tour. The aging and bottling facility near Bardstown while still interesting is not as impressive as their distillery.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Wife and I went with a tour company called Mint Julep Tours. Highly reccomend them. Leave in a tour bus from a hotel in Louisville. Got to visit 3 distilleries in a day with lunch provided. Going back in a couple of weeks to Jim Beam and Bulleit.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I've been on the entire trail several years ago, and have the Tee Shirt!

IMO,
    Jim Beam was the most interesting/informative tour.
    Makers Mark Campus is Beautiful.
    Woodford Reserve has always been sold out for tours so haven't seen the grounds, but looks like it would be great.
    Angels Envy isn't worth it. It is all contained in a building downtown. All you see is the mash/fermenting tanks, and can look at the still through a glass window, but you don't get to experience any of the activities or smells of the other locations. The spirit is distilled there, and then taken away by tanker truck for barreling and aging.

--Rick

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    The Heaven Hill visitor center in Bardstown is worth a visit.

The Jim Beam distillery in Clermont is impressive just based on the volume of whiskey they produce. It was an informative tour.

Makers Mark in Loretto, KY is quaint and sits on a beautiful property. I really enjoyed the tour.

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    Wife & I enjoyed Tours @:

Jim Beam, Wild Turkey & Woodford Reserve in KY.

With that being said, far & away our Favorite Tour was Jack Daniels in Lynchburg, TN (I Know, you asked about the Bourbon Trail in KY). Just adding that a Trip down to JD was worth the Miles. Our Tour guide was an Older Gentleman & he could have been a Stand-Up Comedian. Wife asked him how many people worked at the Distillery & he responded "About Half of Them!"

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Wife & I enjoyed Tours @:

"About Half of Them!"
    Hey, that's my line! But I actually think I got it from that tour. My guy was funny also. Retired guy from JD. He also said that once per month they give each employee a small bottle of JD. He said it usually doesn't make it out of the parking lot.

Fun tour for sure.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom