• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • moischmoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Noble County, IN
    I have a 23,000 BTU kerosene heater for emergency heat, but I'm thinking about getting a propane heater. The specs on the heater say it will run 24 hours on 4 gallons. Around here, kerosene currently costs $4.30/gal. If I ran the heater 24 hours, it would cost $17.20 per day.

Also, in my area, kerosene is not as available as propane. Some towns don't sell any, some towns only have one place. One the other hand, every town has at least 2 or 3 stores that sell propane, and thats not counting the several propane supply companies that are in my area.

So, let's discuss the virtues of kerosene vs. propane.

I do have one specific question though:
    How many gallons would a comparable sized (23,000 BTU) propane heater use in 24 hours?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Propane is about 91,000 btu/gal. Kerosene is about 135,000 btu/gal.

Propane burns fairly clean and start instantly. Kerosene heaters burn clean when they are maintained properly, but you have to fill them daily or more and they can have odor when started and stopping.

With kerosene you can have as many drums of fuel as you want, and it can be stored in 55 gallon containers. With propane tanks are expensive and can only be filled by someone licensed to do so.

I aux. heat my shop with both and I prefer propane from a convenience standpoint (I hit the switch and heat is on immediately). I prefer kerosene for keeping the shop warm at night when the woodstove is banked. I then fire up the propane to take the chill off while the woodstove is getting up to temp and shut them both down.

In the house propane is the only aux. heat source. and the house is well enough insulated that the coals in the wood furnace usually keep it relatively warm until morning.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I have a 23,000 BTU kerosene heater for emergency heat, but I'm thinking about getting a propane heater. The specs on the heater say it will run 24 hours on 4 gallons. Around here, kerosene currently costs $4.30/gal. If I ran the heater 24 hours, it would cost $17.20 per day.

I have both for emergency (non electric) back up, and a wood stove for primary heat and if needed I have a Heat Pump with Gas LP Furnace. LP is expensive but I'm paying 2.04 a gallon in bulk. Last Time I priced K-1 it was over 3+ dollars a gallon. I have not had to use the K1 heater since I've been here. I have used the LP for short term supplement heat in emergencies probably cause it's easer for me

Top Bottom