• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    I've had an odd affliction with this knife for a while. Haven't pulled the trigger on one yet.

I'm going to preface this by saying when it comes to knives.... My taste is more utilitarian. As in, I like and appreciate good and decent stuff, but I'm not the type to carry a 200 dollar benchmade. I just don't use a knife so much as to justify it. Call me middle of the road I guess.

I like the size, style, and features a lot. This Kershaw is quite a bit different than anything else I've got. It would seem to fill the role of an EDC pocket knife well for me.

My question is, would this be a good buy for a casual user like myself? Are there better options for this style of knife? Thanks.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I think you'd be fine with it. I don't have any experience with the Barstow, but I've owned a few Kershaw's over the years. I can do without the Speedsafe mechanism, as I've broken a few torsion bars with those after years of regular use, and hence prefer no assisted opening, but they generally last a good long time.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I don't have any direct experience with the Barstow but have plenty of Kershaw's in my collection ... Leek, OSO Sweet, Needs Work, Fraxion, Misdirect, Brandywine, Mixtape, Dividend, to name just a few. They're all solid knives that come with a sharp edge and are easy to maintain the sharp edge. FWIW, I use Razor Edge hones and guides to maintain my knives.

Are there other knives that are similar or better? Sure, but if you like the looks and feel of the Barstow, then buy it if the price is right. In my opinion, you won't go wrong with a Kershaw.

It took me a while to come to the realization that buying a pocket knife isn't something that needs to be over thought. If you like it and it feels good in your hand just buy it if the price is right. It won't be the last knife you buy. But, if it is your holy grail of knives, then buy a dozen (or more) ... they will get lost or broken or worn out over time, and by the time that happens, the knife may no longer be in production.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    That is a nice looking knife! As for me, I tend to buy knives so that the point can be used to clean my fingernails, so daggers, and dagger point knives are luxuries for me ( I do own several though)

Top Bottom