• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Or maybe just pull the door handle on the inside and open the door.

Depends on the manufacturer. If you are in a preFOB GM vehicle with the doors locked you must unlock the doors before you can open them. Ford and Dodge front doors have panic locks on them, pulling the inside handle unlocks the door.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I seen that as well, that's what got me to researching if all cars had override mechanisms. Then I was amazed how many die from this even with the overrides. I can't even imagine the sadness of losing someone to this and know they just didn't think to read the owners manual.

BTW....We read our owners manual earlier and sure enough, the override is between the seats under the armrest, there is a little square notch...I often wondered what the hell it was for. You stick the fob there and car will run. I guess you get onstar to unlock your doors if fob locks you out as well. Now how many people would know this stuff exists to even read the owners manual. Guess if you were trapped and thought you were gonna die, reading the manual is the last thing a lot of people would do.

Still have not figured out where or what the key inside the Malibu fob is for or goes into. Guess I will learn that another day.

So there I was... trapped in my car, waiting for the sweet release of death. This was taking longer than I thought, so out of sheer boredom, and trying to fend off panic, I decided to read my owner's manual to take my mind off my dire situation. And that's when I saw it...

;)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Still have not figured out where or what the key inside the Malibu fob is for or goes into. Guess I will learn that another day.

Driver's side door and trunk is what they normally open. Sometimes there's a body colored plug over the keyhole to hide it. I don't know about the Malibu specifically, but that's what it's went to on the Fords and Chryslers I've had that are fob equipped.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The battery in my in-laws Buick died last month. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to make ANYTHING work w/o power. Couldn't get in it, as she has the seat all the way forward (she is short), and they are power seats. Couldn't get it in neutral to push out of the garage so I could work on it (push button start, and the gear shift must be electric, not mechanical). Thank goodness it was already unlocked, or I'd be in the same pickle as all y'all up-thread. What a pain.

Technology is great when it works. Pain in the kiester when it doesn't.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    I'm not on a fob system, but I always have this with me:

81I6871x%2B3L._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003PO38P2

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    There's a reason the manufacturers put that giant reference book in the glovebox other than to tell you how to set the radio presets!

Just another case of people not being prepared and not looking for ways out. Many on this forum are criticized for lack of planning and looking for the exit out in a hostile situation, why is the car any different? You get a new car and you have to plan out the worst case scenarios: what if the FOB battery dies, what if the car battery dies, what if I get a flat tire, what if I get locked inside (I have yet to see a car that doesn't have a mechanical lock and door handle somewhere).

A friend in school years ago had a story about one rainy night he was on the highway and almost rear-ended another car because the lights weren't on and driving well under the speed limit. They wouldn't pull over when he waved so he followed them to an exit a few miles later. when they stopped for a red light, he got out and had some stern words. turns out the elderly lady had a new car or was borrowing it (sorry, he told me 12+ years ago) or for whatever reason wasn't familiar with it and didn't know how to turn the lights on so she was just trying to be careful and drive slow so she didn't hit anything.

As for battery life
    -Simple keyless entry transmitter remotes will last a good long while because they only use power when you hit the button.
    -RFID keys are passive (hence the short range) and have no batteries.
    -Transceiver keys (the ones you leave in your pocket and have push-button start) transmit 100% of the time so the battery life sucks. Had to replace the battery in my transceiver key for my wife's Prius last week (it gave a warning on the dash saying it was getting low) after 3 years.

So there I was... trapped in my car, waiting for the sweet release of death. This was taking longer than I thought, so out of sheer boredom, and trying to fend off panic, I decided to read my owner's manual to take my mind off my dire situation. And that's when I saw it...

;)

We say such things jokingly but that's the sad reality of 2/3 of the population. Just look at all the people that think more laws fix will fix the problem and all the anti-s waiting for someone to come save them when something bad happens.

BStarkey 46947

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    My wife's old Chrysler van would not recognize her key fob all the time. Took it back to the dealer, re-programmed, new batteries, and 3 days later it would do the same thing. Dealer could never figure it out. Same vehicle would erase all the station presets and erase the contacts for the blue tooth speaker phone. PITA.

Back in the early 90's we had a Ford Expedition and F-150 that were keyed with the same key from the factory (Vehicles were 2 years apart in age).

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My wife's old Chrysler van would not recognize her key fob all the time. Took it back to the dealer, re-programmed, new batteries, and 3 days later it would do the same thing. Dealer could never figure it out. Same vehicle would erase all the station presets and erase the contacts for the blue tooth speaker phone. PITA.

Back in the early 90's we had a Ford Expedition and F-150 that were keyed with the same key from the factory (Vehicles were 2 years apart in age).

Loose connection.
    Those components need two different powers.
    1. Power all the time. For memory.
    2. Power when ignition switch on.

#1 must have had a loose connection.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    There is no way on earth that there is a car made that traps you in the car when a fob battery dies. No way.

Knowing that logic dictates this, you check the manual or look for a way to trigger the lock until you find it because it HAS to be there.

As for the hidden key, yes I have a car with one of those. Call me old-man HoughMade, but with the complexity of modern vehicles, I don't see not​ familiarizing yourself with the car and hoping for the best.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My FOB on my '02 still works and the battery has never been changed.

Nowadays they just rob you at gun point and take your key/FOB too.
    It's less about security and more about flashy marketing and convenience that can be upsold to people. Secondarily it removes a mechanical component that needs to be designed around on the dash/steering column likely reducing cost while charging consumers more for the convenience.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    My Harley has a Fob & Security System. It has a code you enter using the turn signal buttons so it will start without the Fob. Fob Batteries are available at Dollar Tree, 2/$1.00, their Sunbeam Lithium. Chrysler has the Emergency Key in the Fob, pushing the Start Button with the Fob gets you going if the Battery dies.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    My Harley has a Fob & Security System. It has a code you enter using the turn signal buttons so it will start without the Fob. Fob Batteries are available at Dollar Tree, 2/$1.00, their Sunbeam Lithium. Chrysler has the Emergency Key in the Fob, pushing the Start Button with the Fob gets you going if the Battery dies.

The story is too long to tell but the punchline is I lost BOTH of the key/key fobs for my ‘08 Road King on the SAME DAY ! As a result I learned about how to unlock a HD using the left/right turn signals. Pretty easy unless the owner has changed the factory installed code.

(And just for the record, I didn’t ask a motor officer to tow me home)

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    A friend in school years ago had a story about one rainy night he was on the highway and almost rear-ended another car because the lights weren't on and driving well under the speed limit. They wouldn't pull over when he waved so he followed them to an exit a few miles later. when they stopped for a red light, he got out and had some stern words. turns out the elderly lady had a new car or was borrowing it (sorry, he told me 12+ years ago) or for whatever reason wasn't familiar with it and didn't know how to turn the lights on so she was just trying to be careful and drive slow so she didn't hit anything.

Left Chicago via the Skyway, after dark, on Wednesday. Not much traffic. Saw several cars ahead hitting brakes but couldn't see why. There was car with no lights on driving in the left lane at 50MPH. Every car that got close, honked horns, flashed lights, etc. It was a newish Durango, so I doubt it had a total lighting system failure. More likely just a really dumb person behind the wheel.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom