• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Kayak the mangroves on the top of the island. Go snorkeling. Take a 1/2 day fishing charter. Wade the shallow water of Smathers beach. Go to Irish Kevin's bar on Duvall St. Take the wife to the dessert restaurant "better than sex" (it's not, but damn close). Eat breakfast at the Blue Heaven. People watch on Duvall Street at night.

Hehehehehe.
    People watching can be a full time thing there. I still have family living in Key West. Interesting place.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I have never lived there but it feels like it for the amount of times I have been there. My grandmother use to have a place on Marathon right by the airport. The hot sauce store is Peppers and there is a lot there and some good options. I would 2nd the jet ski tour around the island. It was pretty cool. I also went on a cruise out to kayak and snorkel and it was a lot of fun. I went out with https://www.dangercharters.com/ and I would recommend it. I went out to the Tortugas also and took the fast cat which was also fun. Lots of history there and if you want you can even camp out on the beach to.

There is a cuban/mexican restaurant right by cigar city that is pretty good also. Which is where you can get some hand rolled cigars. Try Islamorada fish company, some pretty good food there to. Big Pine key has the blue hole where you can check out some gators, though its not the same. Before you could actually walk around it but someone lost a dog and I think a kid got attacked also (?) so now you have a prier you can walk out on.

Also dont hit the deer, that would be very bad! Watch out for the Garden of Eden...unless you and your wife are into that sort of thing. :wrongdoor:

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Best breakfast in town is a place called Harpoon Harry's.
    You have to stop in at night at Sloppy Joe's.
    Mallory Square in the evening to see the sunset and all the entertainers.
    Best advice is to rent a little 50cc scooter to get around on. They are much easier to park than a car or a full size Harley.

Enjoy, but you can see everything you need to see in about 3 days.

Shootsforfun

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I second the scooter thing above.. Also you must try one one the many Mahi sandwiches there...biggest slab of Mahi you could ask for..and fairly Cheap....yum

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    I've been to the keys 3 times and had a blast everytime. Fallow what's been said it the above posts they pretty much summed it up. Will be going back sometime this summer.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    The Hemingway House and Mel Fisher Maritime Museum are both worth seeing, on the docks in late afternoon a lot of fishermen are bringing in the daily catch to be delivered to local restaurants, lots of great mahi sandwiches available in the evening.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The Hemingway House and Mel Fisher Maritime Museum are both worth seeing, on the docks in late afternoon a lot of fishermen are bringing in the daily catch to be delivered to local restaurants, lots of great mahi sandwiches available in the evening.

My Grand parents lived there from the late 50's until the passed. 1 of my uncles both was based there until retirement.
    I would go down to the docks with them to meet the boats and they would by shrimp and other items right off the boats. Once you have tasted "Fresh" shrimp and such it ruins you.
    I have not been back down there for years but 1 cousin still lives on the island. He has been beating on us to make the journey.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Best breakfast in town is a place called Harpoon Harry's.
    You have to stop in at night at Sloppy Joe's.
    Mallory Square in the evening to see the sunset and all the entertainers.
    Best advice is to rent a little 50cc scooter to get around on. They are much easier to park than a car or a full size Harley.

Enjoy, but you can see everything you need to see in about 3 days.

Yes. Harpoon Harry's. Can't believe I forgot that.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    In all honesty, my favorite thing to do down there is eat my way around the island. So many small mom and pop places with amazingly delicious sea creatures on the menu :drool:

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    The best advice I can offer is for you to send me all your tickets and vacation budget. I promise to provide a very complete and detailed report! :):

I'm jealous! Have a great time! Take lots of pics...maybe even a few suitable for posting in an AAR! :yesway:

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    There is a little open air bar and seafood place at the end of the dock by Mel Fischer's museum that has good food and drink. Can't remember the name, I've been down there 4 times but it's been about 8 years since I was there last.
    Someone posted above that the original African Queen was at Islamorada, but I had thought it was at Key Largo.

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    Eat at Santiago's Bodega. Check out Fury Water Adventures if you want to get on the water. Go fishing! The Keys have some of the best fishing in the world. The spring is tarpon time in the Keys. Take a walk through the Key West Bight Marina. There are plenty of restaurants and bars overlooking the docks. If you can, drive the Overseas Highway, at least to Marathon.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'll second the sunset show on mallory square. Lots of great street performers. Back in the 90s there was a guy who would balance crazy stuff on his chin. shopping carts, bowling balls on sticks, chairs, up to and including everything IN the cart at once.

Bob2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 24, 2010
    Pepe's Steak House.
    806 Caroline Street, Key West, FL 33040

Go there for breakfast,, don't look the building or the atmosphere... Go in sit down and order the most awesome breakfast you have ever eaten.

Agree, we went there several times for breakfast.

Also try BO's, best conch fritters I found in town BO's Fish Wagon

We also spent a very fun evening at Irish Kevin's. Had music playing comedian act on stage, was a blast. I also ended up on stage in a singing contest.... fun was had by all!

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    I spent a couple of months touring the Keys in the early 70's with a couple of buddies. Did a lot of camping, fishing, snorkeling and trying to stay one step ahead of the Police. Spent New Years Eve, 1973 I guess it was, touring the clubs on Duval street. I wonder if it has changed any since then?

Top Bottom