• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Well, we picked her up from Rohrmans tonight. They matched everything we could get elsewhere. I've been informed its her Harley and I won't get to drive it much. The only base moss colored one they had had the aluminum 16" wheels on it. I do think they were worth the extra money as they make the car look a lot nicer than the steel with hubcaps.

C9FE9F3F-27C8-4C96-8939-49A409E1ACEC-1166-00000098466A6B05.jpg

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Congratulations!

Our fleet's getting pretty long in the tooth. It won't be long until we'll be in the car market, I'm thinking. I've been trying to prime the pump for a mid-size or smaller car for my wife. But she told me the other day she wants an Acadia or Envoy...but I'm not really wanting to buy a $40k vehicle.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Congratulations!

Our fleet's getting pretty long in the tooth. It won't be long until we'll be in the car market, I'm thinking. I've been trying to prime the pump for a mid-size or smaller car for my wife. But she told me the other day she wants an Acadia or Envoy...but I'm not really wanting to buy a $40k vehicle.
    Neither was I. Instead we went for a Honda Pilot. Saved a good bit of money over Toyota or Government Motors. Has lots of features on even the base model we got. Turns into a real luxury model at the $40K level. Love the ride and it's bigger than my old 4-Runner by a bit. Made in America, too, (unlike so many "American" cars out there). Mine's from Alabama. Has a great ride, too and a turning radius that's killer!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Neither was I. Instead we went for a Honda Pilot. Saved a good bit of money over Toyota or Government Motors. Has lots of features on even the base model we got. Turns into a real luxury model at the $40K level. Love the ride and it's bigger than my old 4-Runner by a bit. Made in America, too, (unlike so many "American" cars out there). Mine's from Alabama. Has a great ride, too and a turning radius that's killer!

I'm sure they're great. As a GM employee though, it might be career damaging to not buy a GM vehicle. I'm still kinda old fashioned about supporting my employer. Though, anymore, from what some of my friends are telling me, depending on the vehicle, we can buy competitor vehicles about at the same price points because the employee discount is a shell of its former self. I'm trying to steer her (pun intended) towards a used vehicle. But it's tough trying to find a good used car, 2-3 years old, with less than 50-75k miles.

She will get what she wants. Of that I'm sure.:D

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'm sure they're great. As a GM employee though, it might be career damaging to not buy a GM vehicle. I'm still kinda old fashioned about supporting my employer. Though, anymore, from what some of my friends are telling me, depending on the vehicle, we can buy competitor vehicles about at the same price points because the employee discount is a shell of its former self. I'm trying to steer her (pun intended) towards a used vehicle. But it's tough trying to find a good used car, 2-3 years old, with less than 50-75k miles.

She will get what she wants. Of that I'm sure.:D

I said I'd never buy another new vehicle again. We bought our 2000 Lesabre fall of 07 with 68,000 miles for under $6000. I looked at 05 Lesabres (last year they were made) in the 60-80k mile range and they're wanting over $10k now. Used cars have skyrocketed in the last few in price in the last few years. A loaded 2011 Soul with 73k was $13,300 out the door. We paid $17,600 out the door for a brand new one that had all the features we wanted. It doesn't have power mirrors but I think my wife and I will be able to settle on a passenger mirror setting so we won't have to mess with it.

We also got Rohrman to match Butler's 20 year 200,000 mile warranty. At best, 1 in a 1000 customers would ever get use out of it because if you're ever late on a single oil change, miss a recommended service item, etc., the extra 20/200k warranty is voided. All service has to be done by any Kia dealer. I'm sure Butler carries the same stipulations. We've not been good on doing the tranny services and stuff and we're going to force ourselves to do so on this car. We want 200,000 miles out of it. We put 100,000 miles on the Lesabre in 6 years.

A luxury vehicle, this isn't. But I think it's going to be perfect for our needs.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I said I'd never buy another new vehicle again. We bought our 2000 Lesabre fall of 07 with 68,000 miles for under $6000. I looked at 05 Lesabres (last year they were made) in the 60-80k mile range and they're wanting over $10k now. Used cars have skyrocketed in the last few in price in the last few years. A loaded 2011 Soul with 73k was $13,300 out the door. We paid $17,600 out the door for a brand new one that had all the features we wanted. It doesn't have power mirrors but I think my wife and I will be able to settle on a passenger mirror setting so we won't have to mess with it.

We also got Rohrman to match Butler's 20 year 200,000 mile warranty. At best, 1 in a 1000 customers would ever get use out of it because if you're ever late on a single oil change, miss a recommended service item, etc., the extra 20/200k warranty is voided. All service has to be done by any Kia dealer. I'm sure Butler carries the same stipulations. We've not been good on doing the tranny services and stuff and we're going to force ourselves to do so on this car. We want 200,000 miles out of it. We put 100,000 miles on the Lesabre in 6 years.

A luxury vehicle, this isn't. But I think it's going to be perfect for our needs.

This is a good point. I ran into this issue a few years ago when I bought my tractor. Used prices compared to new--might as well buy new and get to enjoy that "new tractor smell":D. Last year, we helped our son buy his first car and it was difficult just finding a good car with less than 100k miles--regardless of price.

My wife has to commute quite a bit. It just makes me sick to think she'll be beating a brand new car to death, driving up and down IN-37 everyday.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    This is the first new car we've bought since 1998 and we haven't had a car payment since about 2003. There's been several clunkers in between. As a rule I want a year for every $1000 to $1500 I spend. We got that out of this Buick so I think we've gotten our money's worth. To do that with this car, I need at least 10 years out of it. At current used prices, it's not possible to get the $1000 to $1500 per year.

We're going to keep driving the Buick til it dies. Hopefully we can get another year or 2 out of it.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN

Keep a close on on the transmission fyi...the Odysseys and some newer accord been having premature transmission failures.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Keep a close on on the transmission fyi...the Odysseys and some newer accord been having premature transmission failures.
    That's why I have a 6 year warranty on it. The tranny in my 12 year old 4-Runner bit it and forced me into a new car. If there are any issues early on, I'll let Honda fix it.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    The salesman was showing us all the features of the car and I went to lift up the floor board in the back and asked if that was where the spare was. It doesn't have a spare tire, it has a tire mobility kit. It's a little compressor with a bottle of sealant that are used together to seal and air up the tire. I just watched a Kia video on it and it seems like a pretty cool system. Especially for chicks that wouldn't know which end of the lug wrench to use.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The salesman was showing us all the features of the car and I went to lift up the floor board in the back and asked if that was where the spare was. It doesn't have a spare tire, it has a tire mobility kit. It's a little compressor with a bottle of sealant that are used together to seal and air up the tire. I just watched a Kia video on it and it seems like a pretty cool system. Especially for chicks that wouldn't know which end of the lug wrench to use.

Seems like I've read where a lot of car companies are going to that.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I saw on ebay where you can buy a spare tire, jack, etc to put in if you want. There's room to put one in. The Kia video said a plus is that it's less weight in the vehicle for better fuel economy. Not sure how much a spare tire and jack weighs. It does free up a decent amount of room that you could store jumper cables and the like down there.

With so many people using roadside assistance any more, there's probably not a whole lot of tire changing going on anyway. At least with this kit, a small woman in the middle of nowhere stands a chance of fixing the tire.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I saw on ebay where you can buy a spare tire, jack, etc to put in if you want. There's room to put one in. The Kia video said a plus is that it's less weight in the vehicle for better fuel economy. Not sure how much a spare tire and jack weighs. It does free up a decent amount of room that you could store jumper cables and the like down there.

With so many people using roadside assistance any more, there's probably not a whole lot of tire changing going on anyway. At least with this kit, a small woman in the middle of nowhere stands a chance of fixing the tire.

Yeah, I think those were two of the primary reasons they started going this way: they didn't think people used their spares (at least to a significant degree) and the weight savings. They're all the time, shaving ounces and gram where they can to save weight to help fuel economy. I also think you might be able to buy a spare tire and jack from the dealer, if you wanted to pay extra, no?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'm sure they'll sell you anything but they never said anything about upgrading to a spare tire kit. I think we'll just stick to the mobility kit as my wife will be doing 90% of the driving. The canisters are a one time use so I'm curious how much replacements are.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I'm sure they'll sell you anything but they never said anything about upgrading to a spare tire kit. I think we'll just stick to the mobility kit as my wife will be doing 90% of the driving. The canisters are a one time use so I'm curious how much replacements are.

$$$

Top Bottom