• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hot rod al

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I just got kicked out of the Old Navy on 86th St for carrying a firearm.

As always I carry conclealed wherever I go. I was minding my own business at this lame Old Navy Store waiting for my mother and sister to finish up in the fitting rooms or wherever they were at, when this lame manager came up to me telling me to step out of the store. When I asked him what was up, he told me that I am carrying a firearm and that this is not allowed in this store. When he told me this, I replied to him saying that I am legally permitted to carry since I have an up to date license and that they dont have any "No Firearms" signs posted anywhere! He then told me that it is Gap and Old Navy policy that firearms are not allowed unless you are an LEO and told me to leave the store agian. I told him that since this is the case I will not be spending any more money at any Old Navy affiliated stores. He then said that he knew that I had others with me so he would give me a couple of minutes to leave.

I called my sister on her cell phone to get them to leave all the crap that they were wanting to buy and get the heck out of this lame store, but as always nobody ever picks up the damn phone when you need them to! :xmad:
    I then started walking around trying to find my mother and sister with this lame manager on my tail the whole time. I got fed up of this manager following me everywhere so I eventually left the store with my mother and sister in their own freaking world and waited in the truck.

I do not open carry but the barrel of my 1911 was peaking out from under my jacket causing it not to be fully concealed at all times. I was wanting to go back to the manager and tell him to post some "No Firearms Permitted" signs if this is the case but I did not want to start a commotion and end up getting into some deep bull...

Should I write a letter to the Corporate office over this situation or not because this has pissed me off so damn bad I can't see straight! :xmad: :n00b:

How would have you guys and gals handled this situation?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Letter to corporate, but expect the usual:poop:. Sign or no sign I believe you would have been trespassing had you failed to leave. Win for them lose for you. You did the right thing.

Quad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Good thing they have that policy in place. That will make certain that no criminals with bad intentions will ever enter that store with a firearm!:facepalm:

Truly ridiculous!

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    You know, for stores like this a boycot is in order. I don't know if anyone remembers but a few years back there was a problem with Best Buy.

CPZ Signs at Best Buy Come Down

While that happened in Ohio, as I recall they had other complaints from people in other states as well and the no gun signs came down nationwide.

What we need to do is create some kind of local group of gun owners here in Indiana :p who will agree to boycot businesses that have policies like Old Navy.

While it is their right to have them, and I do not believe any laws should be passed to stop it, it is also our right to refuse to do business with them for unwanted policies.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    I would leave the store (their store, their rules), I would then travel to the nearest gun store and buy a more concealable weapon.
    Don't get worked up over it. You can write a letter to corporate headquarters, but you will not receive a reply or they will stand up for their manager. They really don't care if you shop there or somewhere else, they are not going to go out of business over it.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Why would you admit to carrying a firearm if you are carrying concealed?

Tell the manager you have no idea what he is talking about and if they want to pursue it, tell them you have a medical device for a digestive problem you have. :D

If they continue to ask you to leave, then leave. Do not risk having security or law enforcement get involved. Remember Old Navy is a private business and you don't have a "right" to be in there.

I agree with you if you choose not to spend money in there again, but in the end it unfortunately won't make a difference to Old Navy as their customer base isn't really centered around the 2nd amendment followers.

You got spotted. I would consider it luck on the side of the manager.

hot rod al

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I would leave the store (their store, their rules), I would then travel to the nearest gun store and buy a more concealable weapon.
    Don't get worked up over it. You can write a letter to corporate headquarters, but you will not receive a reply or they will stand up for their manager. They really don't care if you shop there or somewhere else, they are not going to go out of business over it.

They might not go out of business, but they would take a hit if enough people boycott companies with retarted policies like this.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    This is one of those cases where being right was wronged, and doing the right thing by leaving and not making a scene shows you to be the better person.

As said by others, write corporate very nicely letting them know the laws of the land, but expect them to brush you off. Also very nicely let them know you are posting their response on a national website.

Good luck with your letter, and really sad that some managers don't understand the law.

BowhuntnHoosier

Angry Old Conservative Fart
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Terre Haute
    My wife and I spent time in Old Navy in TH last week. I was CC wearing a jacket because it was cool out. I will no longer even consider spending my money there. Thanks for the info.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    They might not go out of business, but they would take a hit if enough people boycott companies with retarted policies like this.

You're right, "if enough people", try to get that many people to stand together for anything. Sort of like, if enough people boycott the gasoline companies, prices will come down, or if we all start buying only Ameican made products, then jobs will start coming back to the U.S.A., it's really a good concept, too bad not enough people will stick together.

I'm not trying to **** in anybodys Wheaties, it's just human nature, if it doesn't effect us directly, we won't do anything.

Last edited:

LFD102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Brownsburg
    I can't stand Old Navy anyway this is more reason to not shop there. But it had to take a big set of cahonas to approach someone you know has a gun and confront them. jmho

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    Here is the letter (using the letter written to best buy as a template) I am sending Old Navy. I will also put my "money where my mouth is" and not shop and any old navy or gap stores (or stores affiliated with the company) unless there policies are changed:

SENTO: custserv@oldnavy.com and custserv@gap.com

Dear Old Navy

My family and I have been regular customers of Old Navy over the years and have made many purchases amounting to thousands of dollars there.

I am a member of an internet forum for Indiana Gun Owners. This forum is comprised of Law Abiding Citizens, Law Enforcement (former and current), as well as Military (former and current) and has a little over 18,000 members.

Many on this forum are strong advocates for our 2nd Amendment protected right. In Indiana it is lawful to carry a gun if you have obtained a "LCTH" or are an active or retired (LEOSA) law enforcement officer. I myself am both a former LEO, former Military member, and current holder of an “LTCH” issued by the State of Indiana.

Today I was made aware of a situation which occurred in your Old Navy store located on 86th St. in Indianapolis Indiana.

The "post" was as follows:

I just got kicked out of the Old Navy on 86th St for carrying a firearm.

As always I carry conclealed wherever I go. I was minding my own business at this lame Old Navy Store waiting for my mother and sister to finish up in the fitting rooms or wherever they were at, when this lame manager came up to me telling me to step out of the store.

When I asked him what was up, he told me that I am carrying a firearm and that this is not allowed in this store. When he told me this, I replied to him saying that I am legally permitted to carry since I have an up to date license and that they dont have any "No Firearms" signs posted anywhere! He then told me that it is Gap and Old Navy policy that firearms are not allowed unless you are an LEO and told me to leave the store agian.

I told him that since this is the case I will not be spending any more money at any Old Navy affiliated stores. He then said that he knew that I had others with me so he would give me a couple of minutes to leave.

I called my sister on her cell phone to get them to leave all the crap that they were wanting to buy and get the heck out of this lame store, but as always nobody ever picks up the damn phone when you need them to!

I then started walking around trying to find my mother and sister with this lame manager on my tail the whole time. I got fed up of this manager following me everywhere so I eventually left the store with my mother and sister in their own freaking world and waited in the truck.

I do not open carry but the barrel of my 1911 was peaking out from under my jacket causing it not to be fully concealed at all times. I was wanting to go back to the manager and tell him to post some "No Firearms Permitted" signs if this is the case but I did not want to start a commotion and end up getting into some deep bull...

Should I write a letter to the Corporate office over this situation or not because this has pissed me off so damn bad I can't see straight!

How would have you guys and gals handled this situation?

END QUOTE

While I'm sure the intent of this policy is to promote the safety of your customers and employees, it in fact has the opposite effect. A criminal, intent on committing criminal acts, will freely bring any weapons he chooses regardless of your policy.

Your policy will however turn away those law-abiding citizens who have passed criminal background checks and have no history of mental illness that have been granted a license to carry a handgun (LTCH) by the State of Indiana.

It should be noted that there have been numerous occasions that LTCH holders have saved themselves and others from serious injury or death from attackers. LTCH programs in 47 other states, some dating back to the mid 80s have records of beneficial effects as well.

Your firearm prohibition policies are a message to criminals that you have disarmed those who might otherwise have the means of protecting themselves in your stores and parking lots.

Our policy as a family is to patronize and recommend those businesses that do not infringe our right to protect ourselves. I hope that Old Navy / Gap will see the wisdom of rethinking your prohibition policy and we can again shop at your stores.

Don

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I can't stand Old Navy anyway this is more reason to not shop there. But it had to take a big set of cahonas to approach someone you know has a gun and confront them. jmho

It doesn't take any cojones at all. They know that someone who is seen carrying (OC or unconcealed CC) is likely carrying legally, and those who carry legally are only a threat to those who would commit a crime against us.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Old Navy isn't at all like the old Navy where I served!!

If there are no rules posted in "a private store" selling to the public and inviting in the public, I would stop DRT and ask the manager for the Chapter & Verse of their rules. He might be right, and he might be wrong. Have him make a copy of that portion of the rules for you. Stand your ground until he gives you proof. Don't emulate his prickishness, but stand firm. I am shocked, sort of, at some comments here telling us that "we don't have the numbers" to have any affect. . B.S.! ! ! How many are HERE on INGO? Do you know other guys who shop with their wives/GFs, and who might keep Sweetie OUT of Old Navy? Tell her why. Let her understand you. Do you belong to any Shooting Clubs, Veteran organizations, shop many LGS-s and Mil. Surps? We will get what we settle for. (How many friends would you lose if you letter to the editor on this tolic got published? Who needs "friends" like that?)!! O, BTW, take your copy of the "rule" with you along with some more copies, to your next Membership meeting. Spread the love.

wpframe01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    IMHO, unfortunately, the manager was within his rights to do what he did - not that that MAKES it right. :( And if you had refused to leave, in all likelihood you would have been arrested for trespassing.

Just my:twocents:, IANAL, YMMV.

wpframe01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    IMHO, unfortunately, the manager was within his rights to do what he did - not that that MAKES it right. :( And if you had refused to leave, in all likelihood you would have been arrested for trespassing.

Just my:twocents:, IANAL, YMMV.

Oh yeah - Just as the manager was within HIS rights, you are equally within YOURS to spend your money elsewhere, and to tell your story OFTEN and LOUDLY. :)

Top Bottom