• ...and so much more!
  • Vodnik4

Aspiring Redneck
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2021
    Monroe
    8A0B2A3D-4D5C-4531-8811-2C9AA0B5D1BD.jpeg
    Cricket on top, Remington , then Ruger 10/22 on the bottom. All with trigger at approximately the same place.
    The first one does feel cheap, with iffy sights and wobbly. But it’s light and manageable for little hands, plus fun color.
    The second is slightly forward-heavy, but already feels like a real gun.

Last edited:

Frontiersman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    East Central Indiana
    My son started with a Henry Mini-Bolt. He still has it, though it is small for an adult. My daughter had a cricket but grew tired of it in short order. My little Annie Oakley. She moved to a model 60 and still has it.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    @indyjohn started our daughter out on a Ruger 10/22 as her first rifle. The semi-auto worked really well for her at the prone position and the look and feel of the rifle meant it would stay around longer that something she would quickly outgrow. The bolt action might have slowed down the amount of ammo she could chew through. LOL, that kid was spinning steel at 25 yards through iron sights and blazing through a 500 round box of Remington.

99zhuggerz99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    I’m having the same debate about what to start my son with.
    Leaning towards the CZ scout. As it is just a stock and barrel away from being anything he would want down the road. One that can truly ‘last a lifetime’.
    Haven’t totally decided, but if I walked past one, I would probably walk out with it.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Ruger 10/22 Charger pistol works also. I have one with a nice wood stock and a bipod attached to the front. I also put a holographic red dot (cheap amazon one). My 7 year old was hitting steel at 50 yards 9/10 times. It was his second outing with the gun.

His hands are almost too small for the pistol grip; he was using both hands to pull the trigger on some of the pulls. I also found putting the brick of ammo I had under the pistol grip helped him get it to the right height.

I had considered buying a cricket, but I think given how well he did this weekend I'm not going to. I have 2 other single shot 22's. One of which was my grandad's and the first rifle I ever shot.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I picked up a CZ 457 Scout for my kid. He turned 6 in March, and he's been to the range twice so far. He is a big/strong kid for his age, and the Scout is a bit too much for him to handle off hand, but so far he has done well shooting off the bench and prone. We also practice safe operation at home with snapcaps.

The great thing about the Scout is that it's a rifle that he can grow into, the downside is that it is pretty heavy for a smaller child. It's nice that it comes with a single shot adapter, but can run a mag once he's ready for that.

drm-hp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Brownsburg
    First was a Cricket - it reinforced safety, started her shooting.
    Second - Ruger 10/22 First repeater, her Squirrel rifle.
    Third - CZ 527 International, 223 Rem, her first big gun.
    Fourth - Custom Mauser, 243.
    I made the mistake of selling her Cricket without her consent, bad dad! I had to get her a new one, just like hers. The world is rotating again now.
    It was a logical progression that she intends to use with her children.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    I've taught several kids to shoot with a Crickett rifle from Keystone. I've even donated a couple to the club I belong to. Only the smallest of children (and both of them very tiny little girls) have had any problem lifting or closing the bolt.

Lately I recommend https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/mini-bolt-youth/. Price is higher, but so is quality. Sights are much better. Overall feel is better. The bolt lever looks a little weird, but tiny hands usually use the side of their hand to "hammer" the bolt closed anyway. It works good for that.

I've considered picking one up for myself many times for a compact survival rifle.

Last edited:

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I started my son out with a Savage Rascal. He s pretty small for his age so my Marlin Model 60 and Savage B-22 were just too big and heavy for him. I'd rather spend the money to get a gun that fits him than have him struggle with a gun that's too big and learn bad form and habits.

Once he graduates from the rascal, my sister's kids will use it, and then my brother's kids, and eventually come back to my son for his kids. My only regret was not getting the threaded barrel version so I could put my dead air mask on it.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I started my son out with a Savage Rascal. He s pretty small for his age so my Marlin Model 60 and Savage B-22 were just too big and heavy for him. I'd rather spend the money to get a gun that fits him than have him struggle with a gun that's too big and learn bad form and habits.

Once he graduates from the rascal, my sister's kids will use it, and then my brother's kids, and eventually come back to my son for his kids. My only regret was not getting the threaded barrel version so I could put my dead air mask on it.
    CCI Quiets are pretty much just as quiet out of a bolt. That is what I use in my Cricket.

garni

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2018
    New Albany
    I am looking for a gun for when my daughter is a little older and I get her into shooting. She will probably be about 7 years old or so. Obviously I want a .22lr for her, but beyond that I have no idea which would actually be good for her. Does anyone have experience training their kid to shoot?
    A good. 22 LR is a good way to go. I personally started out with a Daisy 880. My Dad was a 30 man in the Army and taught me carefully to shoot well and to care for guns the way they should be.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    I bought a 10/22 to start with. My son was happy with slow controlled fire at the beginning. I tried to level-up the cool as he got older to compete with video games. I added an Angel Fire adjustable stock for better LOP and after he mastered iron sites I added a red dot. Once he had the skill to control it we tried mag dumps.

I think it worked well. He's 23 years old and has attended formal training, owns a 19x and is a relentlessly careful and responsible gun owner.

My daughter? Zero interest in guns after she hit her early teens.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield

Bolt .22-Remington, Winchester, Greenfield they teach the kid how to use iron sights. My son was taught on a Marlin and he can use trapdoors, Sharps, High Walls, and Rolling Blocks using iron sights. Put a scope on one and he owns anything the cross hairs are on. He learnt how to shot.​

His up grade was a MARLIN 1897 .22 CALIBER LEVER ACTION RIFLE my grandkids will up grade to it after they learn.​

pewpew2232

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 22, 2021
    Charlestown
    As a devoted CZ fan, I’d be remiss if I didn’t suggest the Scout!
    452 Scout was my first, highly recommend. They also have the advantage of being able to take a normal sized stock once the kid grows out of the youth stock. Same goes for the Browning micro midas, youth Henry lever action and several others.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I am looking for a gun for when my daughter is a little older and I get her into shooting. She will probably be about 7 years old or so. Obviously I want a .22lr for her, but beyond that I have no idea which would actually be good for her. Does anyone have experience training their kid to shoot?
    Why not try for a FREE rifle to give her?
    Check out the Free rifle re-revisited thread in general firearms discussion.

Top Bottom