• jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    :(
    cg21 i hope you have not yet runned away.
    has your 5 year old shot her cricket yet.
    my 12 and 10 year olds have outgrown the cricket. :(
    have you done the eddie eagle rules for her yet?
    plus have you demystify the rifle yet?
    im not sure where the website is at its a moms website that goes into the rifle and kids.

basically if the child want to touch/see the guns you drop everything and under your supervision they get to see/touch tje guns.

this basically causes the kids to not see the gun as oh ah a tool i can never touch and when they see one later on in life its meh to them.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    :(
    cg21 i hope you have not yet runned away.
    has your 5 year old shot her cricket yet.
    my 12 and 10 year olds have outgrown the cricket. :(
    have you done the eddie eagle rules for her yet?
    plus have you demystify the rifle yet?
    im not sure where the website is at its a moms website that goes into the rifle and kids.

basically if the child want to touch/see the guns you drop everything and under your supervision they get to see/touch tje guns.

this basically causes the kids to not see the gun as oh ah a tool i can never touch and when they see one later on in life its meh to them.

SOOOO SO this. I was that kid. Dad wasnt proactive with me and Its lucky nobody got hurt. (nothing went off, but I was handling them without permission when I had no business nor training) Once he found out and removed the mystery (and tanned my hide), problem solved.

I do the same for my kids. ANY time (within reason, like except for right before bed, before we must leave for an appointment, etc) . It was frequent at first. Several times a week. Now they dont even bother to ask but maybe every couple months.

And it also helps to post the 4 rules with funny verbiage. (e.g. "Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until you are ready to fire.") Both my 12 and 9YOs can recite the rules by heart. The 9YO forgets and sweeps sometimes, but she's working on it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    SOOOO SO this. I was that kid. Dad wasnt proactive with me and Its lucky nobody got hurt. (nothing went off, but I was handling them without permission when I had no business nor training) Once he found out and removed the mystery (and tanned my hide), problem solved.

I do the same for my kids. ANY time (within reason, like except for right before bed, before we must leave for an appointment, etc) . It was frequent at first. Several times a week. Now they dont even bother to ask but maybe every couple months.

And it also helps to post the 4 rules with funny verbiage. (e.g. "Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until you are ready to fire.") Both my 12 and 9YOs can recite the rules by heart. The 9YO forgets and sweeps sometimes, but she's working on it.

When teaching the scouts, I used to have to berate them CONSTANTLY to take their fingers off the trigger when they picked up the guns.
    After I added that phrase, I would see the kids go to pick up a gun, then give a quick giggle. I knew what they were thinking about.
    But, I didn't have to tell them. :)

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Nope haven’t ran away I only come
    on here once a day. I’m certainly not the liberal yuppie whoever was referring...... I can kill deer... my daughter has gone hunting with me since 2yrs old. She has helped me clean every deer since she field dresses squirrels... anyways that’s all the time I have for you sir.

the reason I want someone who is an expert to train her is because I know I am not.... do I get the job done yes...... do I have a ton of bad self taught habits yes. I feel if I don’t pass the habits onto my daughter she will be a better shooter than myself..... once taught the wrong way it’s hard to get away from it because it is what you know.

yes she handles guns knows all the rules won’t point toy guns at people. She has shot her Crickett and also cleaned it.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Coach my wife and I came out and did a day of pistol training with you and it was great. For one day the drive wasn’t awful but pretty far to do anything steady. If you think you could do some good with a couple days with my family maybe we could work something out. If you gave us pointers and we came back after training at home? Just a thought

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    cg21, I asked where you were from so I'd know if I could help.

That's a long way from here, but I'd consider it. The problem though is the lack of range. I suppose you know it, but Lake Co. is rough for that sorta thing. This really is a case where you may have to drive a little way.

Are you familiar with Bonfield, Illinois? The Illinois State Rifle Association's State Range is in Bonfield (isra.org which seems to be down at the moment?!). It is a very nice facility, with range to 300 yards, and various other facilities. The Highpower competition crowd in Illinois is one of the very best of any State (ironic, I know). Any of the upper end of those guys know enough to teach you and your daughter for weeks. If you'd like, I can troll a line out there to a few of them and see if they'd be interested?

Now at home...What do you mean by "need a proper backstop"? Does that mean you have adequate real estate and location to shoot, but need a tractor and some railroad ties?

-Nate

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Sent a private message Nate. But yes plenty of room to shoot here just no backstop.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Check with your local 4h extension office. There is a Shooting Sports program that is geared around teaching youth. Your daughter is not old enough for it, but the 4H leader-coordinator may let you sit in at meetings, or they might arrange some private time with your family.
    At age 5, she just wants to shoot for fun. Hold back on the self defense, stand your ground stuff. She doesn't need to go armed because another 5 year old took her cookies.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Check with your local 4h extension office. There is a Shooting Sports program that is geared around teaching youth. Your daughter is not old enough for it, but the 4H leader-coordinator may let you sit in at meetings, or they might arrange some private time with your family.
    At age 5, she just wants to shoot for fun. Hold back on the self defense, stand your ground stuff. She doesn't need to go armed because another 5 year old took her cookies.

already tried 4-h to young won’t let us do anything. She likes shooting but really wants to shoot for hunting... squirrels and deer.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Following for info. Have a 5yr old daughter who is becoming increasingly interested in shooting. She also has a Crickett.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Sent a private message Nate. But yes plenty of room to shoot here just no backstop.

ah so you do have the room just need to build a mini range. which means u must be south of i65 in southern lake county then unlike us thugs north of us30. :)

let me see if some of the nwi ingo members who live south of us 30 can help u out as several have built their own small range on property to shoot.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    It takes dirt, lots of dirt.

We had our driveway widened and lengthened, which gave me a large amount of dirt to play with. I used my tractor to build a berm to shoot into.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Maybe contact Infinity Solutions, or another one of the training companies and ask them for a class.
    Maybe they don't know there is a need for it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I am by no means an expert firearm instructor or operator. I started in firearms as an adult... self taught. My daughter (5) is interested in shooting and hunting. She has a cricket... and youth .243. I do my best helping her and teaching but I really don’t want to teach her my bad habits. Any family friendly instructors in the northwest Indiana area? Reasonably priced? Don’t want to take a class would prefer private session.

thanks and have a nice weekend.

FORTRESS DEFENSE CONSULTANTS

Fortress Defense focuses primarily on defense-related training, but they're in your neighborhood. I would trust Frank Sharpe and his crew to train my kids if I had any. If they can't help you with basic instruction for your daughter, they can certainly refer you to someone in the area who is well suited for that task.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Because this thread is interesting for a lot of us, and can become a great resource thread maybe...

Has anybody ever used one of these with many rounds into it?:

https://www.doalloutdoors.com/product/bt222-22-17-bullet-box/

It appears to be the heaviest one readily-available, but I've not handled it.

I do know that some of the traps are a POS...one yellow brand Air trap didn't take even a sleeve of pellets through a 500 fps target rifle before it was ruin't.

-Nate

Top Bottom