• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jtrent

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    I've got a 10 year old nephew and I'm looking to get him something to start with. I don't want any semi-auto for safety reasons he has shot before but I don't think he is ready for a 10/22 would rather have a single shot, lever, or bolt gun. I started a lot older so I'm not real familiar with the different options. I would like for it to be something that will last if taken care of. Also would like to stay under the $250-$300 range. What brands and models should I look and is the combo a feasible option?
    Thanks for your help.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I started my 10 year old out on a bolt action .22lr. It was an old Glenfield Model 10. Bolt is probably the cheapest option and the easiest to shoot.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Worry about the shotgun part later! Just get a nice single shot, or bolt action .22, and get the basics of firearm safety and marksmanship down first! At ten, by the time he is comfortable with the .22, and has the fundamentals down, he'll be ready for that 10/22, and won't care about a .410! My oldest is 13, and got a Keystone cricket for his 7th Christmas. By the time I was confident with his abilities enough, he was 11, and I gave him a Winchester model 72, tube feed, bolt action .22. He shot it for one year, and now, doesn't want to shoot anything but my AR, and my 1911!

Point is, once they get it, they progress quick, and unless you have more kids to train, I'd say spend as little as possible!

smspears592

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Jtrent, Thanks for starting this thread. I am in a similar boat looking for a gun for my son. I am looking at the Rossi comb pack but read some bad stories about quality. Has anyone else had quality issues with the Rossi? Thanks.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Jtrent, Thanks for starting this thread. I am in a similar boat looking for a gun for my son. I am looking at the Rossi comb pack but read some bad stories about quality. Has anyone else had quality issues with the Rossi? Thanks.

I own two.
    One in .22Lr/.410, the other in .22Lr/.20ga.

Never the first problem out of either of them.
    They're solid guns, and well worth the asking price.

Of course this is just my opinion.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I started my kids with a single shot, bolt action, manually cocked rifle sized for them ... one got a Chimpmunk, one got a Crickett, and the third got to use both of them. They all started around 5 years old. If I had it to do over, I'd go with a semi-auto and cut down the stock (or find a different stock to fit them). I say this because they outgrow the "kid sized" rifles too fast. Now these tiny rifles just sit in the safe waiting for the grandkids to come around (which better be a really, really, really, really long time from now).

Since then, I've also learned about Appleseed and if that program was around when my kids were first starting out, they would have been on the line pronto ... not at 5 years old ... but 10 years old on up works fine. Teaching your own kids how to shoot is a real lesson in frustration management. But if they hear the EXACT same words from a stranger, all of a sudden, the light bulb goes on and they understand ... gotta have the Pros from Dover ...

Bottom line is if you pick up an inexpensive semi-auto with a detachable magazine, it can be used just like a single shot by loading a single bullet in the magazine. Ruger even makes a special magazine for the 10/22 that only accepts one bullet.

Longhair

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Like philbert said above, save the shotgun for later. Sounds like a perfect candidate for a Henry Rifle! Get him a youth model and it will be useful for a lifetime. One can be had for less than $300.

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    The only reason I would go with an over under 22/410 is if you do a lot of small game hunting. Going with a 10/22 youth would really be the way to go, you can grow the rifle with the kid. The single shot magazine is a great solution also.

Edited to add: I also think the Henry levergun mentioned above would be a great choice also.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    There is no way on earth I'd recommend one of those Rossi 22/410 combo guns for anyone. I shot one a few years ago and I swear that lightweight 410 kicked harder (faster, sharper recoil) than any 12 gauge I've ever used. They're just too light. They ingrain flinching,

10 year old kids vary in size and shape and will go through dramatic changes in the next few years. Getting them a youth sized rifle may seem like a great idea, but you should be prepared to replace the stock in the next few years.

If you are concerned about ammo consumption and safety it's hard to beat a Savage MkII. They are a bolt action available in youth and adult models. They are insanely accurate and a pleasure to shoot.

If you're willing to consider a semi-auto the Ruger 10/22 is an obvious choice, but don't overlook the Marlin 795. The Ruger is a rifle that your child can customize for the rest of their life. The Marlin is more accurate out of the box than the Ruger and is a fine rifle. Either becomes a single shot when you only load one round in the magazine.

Regardless of which rifle you chose, take a serious look at getting them to an Appleseed. Appleseed is some of the best (and most affordable) rifle instruction on earth. They will learn safety, fundamental marksmanship, and a little something about their great country. Appleseed instructors are experienced in working with people of all ages, and love working with kids. It's not unheard of for a kid to outshoot dad at the conclusion of their first Appleseed.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I bought my son (age 10) Rossi 22/20ga combo. No quality issues, but the 20ga kicked like a mule. Even adults firing it didn't like the recoil. Ended up getting my son a youth 870 20ga and he had no issue with the recoil.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    The problem with the Rossi is it has no recoil pad. I got my wife the 22 with the 20 gage barrel. I had to put a recoil pad on it so it could be shot. After that it has been fine. I have had no issues with fit, finish or quality. Now if you think the fit is going to be like a $1600 shot gun you are going to be disappointed. The trigger needs work is about the worst thing I could say about it.

smspears592

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Christmas came with many smiles. Due to funds, I went with the Rossi 22/410 combo pack. To the reply that talked about kicking like a mule, they were right. My son shot the .410 ONCE. The .22 he fired about 200 times. No issues.

Top Bottom