• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    My two favorite myths to dispel during classes are that you will have the physical ability to see your sights much less use them within 5-7 yards. The other is the 21 foot "rule", misunderstood because people see it as a gun problem and not a fighting problem. We show you how to survive within 5 feet. Nobody that participated in the class had any previous "knife" training but was able pressure test what was taught against the stun gun with just 3-4 hours of training. If that is how long it takes to learn it imagine how little time you need to practice it on your own with a partner to master it and gain confidence. In the same amount of time they became "masters" of IET, which the hardest part of as it is with the pistol is the ability to deploy it under stress. Once the knife is out, any knife, IET is intuitive, defensive, and defensible. Outstanding crew.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My two favorite myths to dispel during classes are that you will have the physical ability to see your sights much less use them within 5-7 yards. The other is the 21 foot "rule", misunderstood because people see it as a gun problem and not a fighting problem. We show you how to survive within 5 feet. Nobody that participated in the class had any previous "knife" training but was able pressure test what was taught against the stun gun with just 3-4 hours of training. If that is how long it takes to learn it imagine how little time you need to practice it on your own with a partner to master it and gain confidence. In the same amount of time they became "masters" of IET, which the hardest part of as it is with the pistol is the ability to deploy it under stress. Once the knife is out, any knife, IET is intuitive, defensive, and defensible. Outstanding crew.

Hey, George!

We've been corresponding for years (since bladeforums.com) and your assertion that you won't be able to see your sights much less use them always left me skeptical. Now I understand what you were saying all along, and it makes much better sense.

When you have stated it in the past, I didn't realize that you were referring (at least primarily) that you may not have the time or more importantly the distance required to actually get the sights between your eyes and the threat. I thought you were saying something completely different, but now it makes more sense.

Even if you have time to reach full extension with both hands, if someone is at contact distance doing so may be a really bad idea. If you're going to use a gun under those circumstances, it's going to be from a retention position or a contact shot or a combination of the two.

That makes a whole hell of a lot of difference!

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Rhino, hope you felt the same way about my explanation of why 90% of our pistol work is one handed. Only and idiot would tell anyone not to use their sights and sighted fire if they had the time,distance, and opportunity to do so. It has been long known that a trained shooter will do better the farther the bad guy is away. The problem is that gunfights start close, not at distance, so if your response to getting rounds on fired is predicated on getting two hands on the gun you are setting yourself up for failure. Once the pistol is deployed, and there never any issues with that....it is very intuitive to get rounds on target with one hand and no sights using point shooting. It should also be noted that point shooting is effective because of canting your hand as if you were....pointing, not at a 90 degree angle since that is an unnatural hand position. This is part of the reason why you are so much more accurate at distance when you use a support hand, because it allows you to stabilize and unstable potion. Combative anatomy, physiology, and psychology are more important than tool. They are constant and tools are not.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Check the first few seconds of this video:

[video=youtube;t-4iZjHrdBU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-4iZjHrdBU&feature=youtu.be[/video]

You will see:

• Movement to my left (93% righty bad guy's right)
    • One handed shooting as soon as I can get the gun out.
    • Gun canted slightly inboard.

You must have taken a trip in the Wayback Machine with Sherman & Mr. Peabody to coach me!

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    To backup Rhino (not back up to Rhino) George's was the first and only good explanation of merits to one-handed shooting I've seen or heard. This is assumed at the proper time and place, of course. Sadly, those times and places may be most encounters.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If a right handed shooter is moving from right to left, going one handed allows you to move a lot easier. If you're moving left to right, you can keep both hands on the gun longer and still do well.

Turf Doctor

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    Brownsburg

I agree with what is said above. Now I just need to work on the skills I learned in class to improve my chances in an altercation.

Great tactics and great training.

Top Bottom