• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fourtrax

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Hey Ryan! I talked about the grip in the opening post. It does balance the gun nicely. I also compared it to my gun, which has a Brazos Thundercomp 2 and 2 Poppleholes.

I think this setup is every bit as good as mine, if not better. Once we got it sprung right the dot tracked from middle of lens straight up about 3/4, then straight down to middle. I don't know how much is due Cheely's new comp, AllenM's amazing gunsmithing, or the recoil absorbing/balancing power of the steel grip. Probably all 3. I do know that I really liked how the grip balanced the gun for me.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    The big thing to me was getting to shoot a steel grip. I really wanted some comparison against the standard STI 2011 grip I've shot for 10 years.
    I really liked how the steel grip shifted the feeing of balance. This thing felt centered in my grip, solidly in my hand. My gun, JuJu, which AllenM fitted a new slide to about a month ago, feels a little more forward in the hand? It's hard to describe, but suffice to say I'm now a steel grip fan.

I love the steel grip.
    It balances the gun very nice.

Hey Ryan! I talked about the grip in the opening post. It does balance the gun nicely. I also compared it to my gun, which has a Brazos Thundercomp 2 and 2 Poppleholes.
    the dot tracked from middle of lens straight up about 3/4, then straight down to middle. I don't know how much is due Cheely's new comp, AllenM's amazing gunsmithing, or the recoil absorbing/balancing power of the steel grip. Probably all 3. I do know that I really liked how the grip balanced the gun for me.

what frame/grip??

Again, who makes the grip?
    Bet that's a heavy gun then!

-rvb

ok, you guys are going to make me go do the research into who is making steel grips now, aren't you. gheesh, let the cat out of the bag, who makes the %$#@ thing?! It's been a few yrs, but I might still remember the secret open-gun-shooter's handshake. :)

I asked about weight since I didn't see anyone talk about transitions. open guns are heavy as-is, open guns w/ full big-sticks are really heavy... all steel must be even heavier yet.

I'm not really sure what "ballance" affects in a pistol... I can see the more the center-of-mass is to the rear the more control you're going to have over the muzzle (esp in regards to the dreaded dot dip), so I can see it as a good thing..... but it's a world of compromises and I'm wondering if anyone put up any <0.15s transitions. ;)

-rvb

Killion

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 11, 2013
    Indianapolis/warren
    4 months in and a new open gun? Way to dive in to the sport!

Past metal grips were Al IIRC, so steel may have been needed to keep them together. Again, who makes the grip?
    Bet that's a heavy gun then!

-rvb

Hell yeah! I'm going to build a backup gun pretty soon! I got addicted very quickly!

Phoenix trinity made the grip and frame. I think it balances the gun very nicely. The plastic grip guns seem top heavy to me, but what do I know I shot 1 open gun before I got this!

Killion

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 11, 2013
    Indianapolis/warren
    I have no way to compare the transitions....sorry!

I don't think the gun feels heavy at all with the big stick in it. I actually think I'm going to pick up a few more big sticks and just use them all of the time.

Hell yeah I can pull a .15 transition but I wouldn't hit anything! The gun just hasn't been shot enough to answer your questions. We broke the gun in Saturday but didn't use a timer for anything. I just don't think the grip steel vs plastic would make much of a difference? I can only move my body so fast as it is and a few ounces isn't going to change that for me. That question would be best answered by the top open shooters in the country. Or once Chad and Chris shoot it more they can probably answer your questions.

I prefer the steel grip for several reasons....

1. It cost more and I love spending money....obviously!
    2. The inside of the grip doesn't get chewed and scraped up from a million reloads.
    3. I like the way it feels in my hand.
    4. When I tried to drop a mag out of a plastic grip it didn't drop. My grip was too strong and pinched the mag and it wouldn't fall free. Steel does not do that.
    5. Not many people have them and I do.
    6. I think it helps the gun shoot flatter, but that is hard to prove the slide weight, spring, and comp probably make this biggest difference.
    7. Plastic is for glocks.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I actually think I'm going to pick up a few more big sticks and just use them all of the time.
    I'm going to lazer in on this for a sec....
    The big sticks are awkward at best on reloads. There was maybe 3 times in all the years I shot open where the stage design forced me to end with and reload to the big stick. I maybe used my big stick two or three times per match. The trend here in IN is 32 rounds, and if you have to reload there's not usually an advantage to a 170 over a 140. I took two 170s and four 140s to matches. If I needed the big stick I'd have it in the gun and two 140s on the belt. If I didn't need a big stick Id have a 140 in the gun and two 140s on the belt.. :twocents:

I just don't think the grip steel vs plastic would make much of a difference? I can only move my body so fast as it is and a few ounces isn't going to change that for me.

My concern w/ the weight would be stopping/settling on the target after the transition. Maybe no big deal, I'd have to try it. I just know when I switched to open from prod it was something I noticed.... I couldn't quite snap the transitions as fast; the technique had to be slightly different...

I prefer the steel grip for several reasons....

1. It cost more and I love spending money....obviously!
    2. The inside of the grip doesn't get chewed and scraped up from a million reloads.
    3. I like the way it feels in my hand.
    4. When I tried to drop a mag out of a plastic grip it didn't drop. My grip was too strong and pinched the mag and it wouldn't fall free. Steel does not do that.
    5. Not many people have them and I do.
    6. I think it helps the gun shoot flatter, but that is hard to prove the slide weight, spring, and comp probably make this biggest difference.
    7. Plastic is for glocks.

1) :)
    2) Never had that problem. My almn mag well looks like ****, but the grip isn't too rough
    3) that's what she said. ;) haha
    4) I'm a "flipper," and I never had that problem. my grip is pretty relaxed during reloads. I've found that helps speed up the reload (by being relaxed the gun/mag can better align themselves)
    5) :)
    6) I don't doubt that at all

-rvb

Killion

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 11, 2013
    Indianapolis/warren
    I may change my mind, but right now I really like reloading with the big stick and shooting with the big stick. I can grab them so easy and they fit my hands nicely. I just haven't noticed a difference in being able to reload one better than the other. I will figure out exactly what I want and like after dryfire all winter. Its a totally new thing for me so it will take time to develop my personal preference on everything.

Fourtrax

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Funny, I didn't do a lot of transitions with Killion's new steel grip gun. I did, however, move and swing onto the target. Doing this I thought the gun settled well and I didn't feel like it was going to drag me off target due to its weight. I'm thinking the comp on the gun is titanium, so we lost weight at the very end and added it 5" to the rear of that point, basically the center of the hand.

I spent some time just waving the gun around, it is very different than my plastic gripped gun. One of my first comments was, "Gee, this thing feels lighter than mine". I think the weights are probably close, wish i could weigh them both and see. The big thing is distribution of the weight. Again, the steel grip gun just felt awesome to me, more of an extension of my arm if you will.

Yes, super secret handshake for open gunners is still the same. Sorry for being obtuse, didn't mean to be, lol.

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Great looking pistol and you guys have fed my crack habit a little more now. After looking around, fondling a few pistols (get ur mind outta the gutter!!), and just wanting a frikkin race gun :rockwoot:, you silly bastards have talked me into getting an open gun instead of limited. I will part with my cash sometime soon, just not sure where yet. I will give it a try and see how it goes. Still will wanna shoot my baer occasionally, but will commit to trying to learn open class next year.

Again....great looking pistol Kurt and it truly is a piece of art. This is the first pistol I have seen in person that Allen has built and fit/finish is definitely top notch. Now you just have to learn to compete with chad (Mr 32rnds in under 10 sec....piece o cake)

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I'd be interested to try the steel grip. I was interested in the almn being offered a few yrs ago, but not in always having to change them out and repair them.... But that was a long time ago (circa 2007/8???). I guess since then SV has gone w/ metal (almn?) grips.

I guess if I stay in prod to long, my open gun will become one of those "remember when..." time machines! haha. too late, maybe?

-rvb

Top Bottom