• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LOWLEFT1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    Tippecanoe County
    I have asked questions here before and have always got quick and what I thought were down to earth answers. Once again I seek the wisdom of the more experience. My wife is in the hunt for a new carry pistol. A Kimber Ultra CDP II in 9mm has caught her eye. What information should I be aware of. I have see a couple things on youtube and they were not happy with Kimber. I would appreciate any and all comments.... thank you.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If you search the site for kimber opinions, I'll bet you'll find at least a 99% satisfaction rate. Seems like a question such as this came up just a few weeks ago. But i dont mind bragging :D I bought a Crimson Carry in 45 acp and couldn't be happier.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I haven't put a Kimber in the stable yet but I have shot a couple and held many. I don't see Kimber being a bad choice personally, I will get one of the aluminum framed 4" models one day for CC. :twocents:

KillStick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Anderson
    It seems that people on this forum enjoy and like their kimbers, On a strictly 1911 forum; not so much. Personally I say if it is a good price get it and enjoy it.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    You hear good and bad things about every make. I have a Kimber 1911 TLE II. I bought it used from a member here. It was my first 1911. It runs really good. I would buy another.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I already posted on another thread but I will say Kimber does stand behind their products. After 2 years of trouble free shooting (5000 rounds or so) I had to send back the slide for replacement of the front Meprolight quit glowing. They fixed it free of charges, paid shipping both ways and had it back to my door in 11 days.

If you buy the 4 in model be advised that recoil springs do need to be replaced periodically, the one feature I don't like much but for me it's worth putting up with.

dwp9mm

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Greensburg
    I've got 2 Kimbers and love them both. IMHO I think that if she likes it she should get it. If she decides it isn't for her I'LL TAKE IT!

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I already posted on another thread but I will say Kimber does stand behind their products. After 2 years of trouble free shooting (5000 rounds or so) I had to send back the slide for replacement of the front Meprolight quit glowing. They fixed it free of charges, paid shipping both ways and had it back to my door in 11 days.

If you buy the 4 in model be advised that recoil springs do need to be replaced periodically, the one feature I don't like much but for me it's worth putting up with.

That whole recoil spring thing, that's not specific to 4", or to kimber, or to...

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I have the Ultra CDP II in 9mm and I couldn't be more happy with it. Fits the hand great, never a single issue, carries beautifully and a very comfortable, compact gun to shoot. The sights are great in low light conditions. I would also recommend getting one of the fitted leather holsters from the Kimber website for it.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    there are some experts in the field who say to avoid Kimber non-Gen I pistols at all costs. Here's an interesting read

Personally, I think any of their "Custom" guns are completely overpriced. For $1200-1400, I'll take a TRP or even a used Les Baer. Combine that with the common complaints about their CS (it's always the ammo, never the gun) and that's enough for me. I don't think I've ever seen someone complain about Springfield Armory not taking care of a problem with one of their pieces.

Kinda reminds me of the DPMS vs Colt/DD/BCM threads. Sure DPMS puts out plenty of rifles that work. But it's all about minimizing risk. ymmv.

Last edited:

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    Go to 1911forum.com. There are sections for each major manufacturer, with complaints about all them.

I have no doubt that people have had problems with Kimber customer service, and at some point with every brand of customer service.

I have no doubt that there are experts that don't like Kimber. I also have no doubt that a lot of those experts have never owned a Kimber, but have read about issues and regurgitate what they read in other forums. Many will say avoid Gen 2. Many will say only the Clackamas roll marked ones are worth having. I'm guessing most have never shot a Clack, a series 1, and a series 2 side by side. I own 2 Clacks, 3 Gen 1s, and 6 Gen 2s, and have 10,000+ rounds through them. I can't tell any great differences in quality between them. MIM parts are a cost savings for Kimber, as are plastic MSH. I can understand the concern with them, but how many MIM parts actually fail? None on mine so far.

I won't tell you what to buy, or what not to. I will just tell you that I have been 100% happy with the ones I own. I also own Para, Colt, and Springfield. I prefer my Kimbers to the other ones I own.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Go to 1911forum.com. There are sections for each major manufacturer, with complaints about all them.

I have no doubt that people have had problems with Kimber customer service, and at some point with every brand of customer service.

I have no doubt that there are experts that don't like Kimber. I also have no doubt that a lot of those experts have never owned a Kimber, but have read about issues and regurgitate what they read in other forums. Many will say avoid Gen 2. Many will say only the Clackamas roll marked ones are worth having. I'm guessing most have never shot a Clack, a series 1, and a series 2 side by side. I own 2 Clacks, 3 Gen 1s, and 6 Gen 2s, and have 10,000+ rounds through them. I can't tell any great differences in quality between them. MIM parts are a cost savings for Kimber, as are plastic MSH. I can understand the concern with them, but how many MIM parts actually fail? None on mine so far.

I won't tell you what to buy, or what not to. I will just tell you that I have been 100% happy with the ones I own. I also own Para, Colt, and Springfield. I prefer my Kimbers to the other ones I own.

The first time I took my Raptor apart I was extremely disappointed to find the MSH made out of plastic. Ordered a stainless replacement right then and there. I do love that weapon though. Best handgun I ever owned and if I could have only one, the Kimber would be it.

richwin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Lebanon
    Kimber is very nice. I had a chance to shoot the 9mm CDP this weekend, and all I can say is my next gun will be a Kimber.

Top Bottom