• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmoan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 30, 2015
    Bloomington
    Took my new Kimber out for the second time last night put 250 rounds through for a total of 400 rounds, while cleaning it I noticed the ramp had two parallel grooves forming across the ramp about halfway up that appear could soon cause a feed issue. What is my best solution, last night rounds were 220 grain Winchester if that matters.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    View attachment 43684
    Finally got it broken down last night, here are the marks I'm talking about, and yes I'm using the stainless mags that came with it

looks as if the mag follower is ramin' it!!!!......i would send it and the mag back to Kimber.....you take anything off of that to clean it up and the angle will be way off.......it needs a new frame...:twocents:

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    Yep, mag follower is hitting the ramp. I only use wilson mag followers for my aluminum framed 1911's. This is a common problem with Kimbers with aluminum frames. Call Kimber and see if they will help. They usually are responsive to problems but there is some exceptions. The overnight return shipping to Kimber will set you back about $40 if you insure properly. If Kimber refuses to help, It appears there is yet hope to slightly polish the ramp. If there is not a feed problem now, I doubt there will be if you begin to use proper followers. Good shooting.

bmoan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 30, 2015
    Bloomington
    Thanks I will contact kimber, is there a mag or follower I should use to prevent this assuming it gets fixed, At this point I have had no feed issues but it looked like a lot of damage in a short time and will cause problems soon

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Probably is the mag follower, I have seen hollow points do the same thing. In my mind all Aluminum frame 1911's needs a steel feed ramp installed. That was one smart thing Ruger did with there Lightweights.
    I have done it before, not a terribly hard operation.....if you have a mill.

bmoan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 30, 2015
    Bloomington
    Kimber... no help, said it was normal and should not affect performance, I was told to get a Kimber pro tac mag? looks like the Wilson is a better design?

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Kimber... no help, said it was normal and should not affect performance, I was told to get a Kimber pro tac mag? looks like the Wilson is a better design?

normal??????......a chewed up feed ramp will cause a nose high jam.....pretty crapy CS in my book.....

too....i have had plenty of Colt LWC's and have never had a ramp do that in Super 38 or 45ACP....

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    normal??????......a chewed up feed ramp will cause a nose high jam.....pretty crapy CS in my book.....

too....i have had plenty of Colt LWC's and have never had a ramp do that in Super 38 or 45ACP....

Not to start a war but this sucks. Another reason not to own another Kimber.

OP, AllenM is your guy if you can get the gun up to him.

bmoan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 30, 2015
    Bloomington
    Yes it does suck, I was always a sig guy, but somehow decided I haaaaaad to have this Kimber and I thought this was going to be my new carry !!!! lesson learned!

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    I use wilson followers on all my mags for Kimber aluminum frames. They are plastic and work great. Again, if it is feeding ok, I would just use wison or like followers and shoot it. It will smooth out in time. I did a little light dremel and flitz polish when I first noticed mine getting dinged. It cleaned up fine. I've put many thousand rounds through mine without incident.

Top Bottom