• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • casselmb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    I really like these guns. To the extent that it defies logic. I've read all the Kimber-hater threads (from several forums) and the caution/warning ones. The many posts about feeding, extraction, and return to battery issues worry me. I mean, it's a ~$900 gun. It should work, right? Glock and so many others can do it for half the price.

Yet for some reason, I still want one. :dunno: Why, you might ask? Well, I think the Kimber prestige suckered me in a little bit. In reality, I like the 1911 platform. When you take a 4-inch barrel with a full-size grip, that's a great package for carry. And.... Just look at it:

ProCarryII450.jpg

I'm tired of waffling on these guns. Can anyone who has experience with one (or more) push me one way or the other? Thanks in advance.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I really like these guns. To the extent that it defies logic. I've read all the Kimber-hater threads (from several forums) and the caution/warning ones. The many posts about feeding, extraction, and return to battery issues worry me. I mean, it's a ~$900 gun. It should work, right? Glock and so many others can do it for half the price.

Yet for some reason, I still want one. :dunno: Why, you might ask? Well, I think the Kimber prestige suckered me in a little bit. In reality, I like the 1911 platform. When you take a 4-inch barrel with a full-size grip, that's a great package for carry. And.... Just look at it:

ProCarryII450.jpg

I'm tired of waffling on these guns. Can anyone who has experience with one (or more) push me one way or the other? Thanks in advance.

don't worry, it's a 1911, it can be fixed if it jams:D

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have a CDP PRO II and I've never had any issues with it. Weren't most of the problems with Kimbers found on the early guns? I thought the newer Kimbers performed well. :twocents:

casselmb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    I have a CDP PRO II and I've never had any issues with it. Weren't most of the problems with Kimbers found on the early guns? I thought the newer Kimbers performed well. :twocents:

I think you might be onto something there. It does seem like most of the complaints, at least with the Pro Carry II, are from the earlier stages of production. It's hard to find a complaint post/thread more recent than 2009, and when you do, it's usually a used gun that was produced earlier.

I'm hoping that's the case. The replies in this thread are encouraging though. Thanks for your thoughts so far.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I have a CDP Pro II as well and mine has functioned flawlessly so far. I did a bunch of research on Kimber (good, bad, hates, likes, etc) before I bought one and I couldn't find much bad info on the ones produced over the past few years. The good news definitely outweighed the bad. Most of the issues I've read about seem to be issues that are probably caused by magazine choice and not the gun itself.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I've owned several and have a Pro Carry II HD stainless now.. Never an issue with any of them. You can't go wrong IMHO although I have heard of a few people having issues with some 3 1/2" guns from all makers. The smiths at Nighthawk told me that 3 1/2" pistols can be very "finicky" at times therefore they only build them on order and I believe Wilson Combat does the same.

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    Kimber

I have had my Ultra Carry for over 6 years and never had the 1 st problem with it.
    I know some guys who had problems when Kimber went with the external extractor on some of there 1911s

Benjamin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    Some Kimbers seem to require more maintenance than other pistols. And a lot of Kimbers really become reliable after about a 500rd break in period, as is common with many 1911s. I love the pistols and I think they get a bad rap because you have to be a little involved and knowledgable about your firearm to get the most out of it. Anyone can buy a Glock and it will probably keep shooting and functioning almost flawlessly even if they don't clean it or oil it or lube it or whatever. Still, Kimbers are awesome :rockwoot: Yeah you need to keep them clean and oiled and learn the oh so difficult process of using an external safety (sarcasm) but honestly you should be doing that for any gun you own anyway.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I bought my first Kimber 5 years ago and still use it as my main CC gun (a Tactical Ultra II), since that first one I've bought a Pro-Carry and a T.L.E. Custom II and all three have been fantastic guns with out a single problem. :rockwoot:

casselmb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    I guess it's not surprising that there are so many more satisfied owners out there. People are just less likely to start a thread called "Bought a Kimber, works fine" than something like "Kimber rip-off."

So I guess the next question is where to get it. I live on the northside of Indy. I've been looking around for one with no luck. Even the Kimber dealers in town are telling me 3-6 months for Kimber to fill an order. :xmad:

Oh well, I guess patience is a virtue. Premier Arms in Brownsburg seems to have the lowest price that I've been quoted so far. If I'm able to get one of these before the world ends, or someone invents laser guns, I'll give you guys a range report.

Thanks to all for sharing your experiences.

RHorn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    Noblesville
    I have been thinking about getting a pro carry. I have talked to a few people who talked bad about kimber in general but not really for quality problems, mostly just for them being over priced. Most people i have spoken to that actually own them have been very happy with them.

casselmb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    I have been thinking about getting a pro carry. I have talked to a few people who talked bad about kimber in general but not really for quality problems, mostly just for them being over priced. Most people i have spoken to that actually own them have been very happy with them.

That does seem to be the consensus. And that means a lot more to me than the people who say that their friend, or some other random person had one that wouldn't feed, etc.

I'm buying one. It's just a matter of finding it.

casselmb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Update: I found one on GunBroker for a decent price. It's on its way here. Will post a range report when I get the chance.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Top Bottom