• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 13, 2013
    South Side Indy
    Thinking about getting one of these for summer, always thought they were a neat lil gun, I have heard they are picky with ammo, is this true? Any other known problems with these, personal experience's ?

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Over priced for its use IMO. A cm9 is every bit the gun for what 300$?

If money is a non issue.. I guess give it a whirl.

JJenn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    I have been looking at these as well.
    one concern I have is how smooth the grip area is.
    no knurling on the front strap might make it hard to grip.

goober45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Thinking about getting one of these for summer, always thought they were a neat lil gun, I have heard they are picky with ammo, is this true? Any other known problems with these, personal experience's ?

I have had mine over a year and have put about 700 rounds thru it with no problem. But I have stuck to the preferred ammo that Kimber recommends. 124 and 147 grain.
    I have read where some people have been able to run 115 with no problem, I just haven't tried yet. Yes they are more pricey, but I loved the way it felt in the hand, and it disappears in iwb holster. I have found it to be very accurate for a short barrel. The only thing I didn't like was the 8 rnd. mag I bought, it looks awful and I had feeding problems with it, I just stuck to the 6rnd.
    I have heard a lot of good things about the cm9, I have no experience with one, but I would like to get one also. It just comes down to your preference's, and if your willing to shell out more money.

Needmorammo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Columbus
    I have a solo and love it. It completely disappears in a crossbreed mini tuck. As stated it does perform better with 124 gr. and up ammo. I have had no problem with different brands. But useing 115 gr. ammo does not always cycle the slide hard enough so you get a FTE. The owners manual clearly recommends using 124 gr. ammo and up. I really don't understand why people complain about FTE problems when they don't follow recommendations. You wouldn't run a high performance race car on 87 octane then blame the car for bad performance. Ergonomics are very similar to a 1911 and mine is a lot more accurate than I am. I have no problem hitting steel plates at 25-30 yards. The solo is a little bit "snappy" but not unpleasant for me. And realigns well for follow up shots. At least 2 friends have tried it and stated that they need to start saving their money. They are a little pricey, but IMO well worth the expense. Hope this helps.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I've heard mixed reviews from the folks I know who've purchased them.
    The one I got to play with never hiccuped on a variety of ammo (not exclusively the recommended stuff)...but there were others who've had trouble even when ONLY using the suggested ammo.
    It's been about half and half love/hate. I've personally (due to that) nicknamed them "Kimber SoSo".

arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    I just picked up a rosewood P938 and it is a beauty. I haven't shot it yet, but if it runs as well as people are saying now it might be a good alternative option for you.

Also, since it has been mentioned by a few on here, a friend of mine owned a CM9 for a short time, and we both HATED the trigger on it. I don't know if it was just his gun, or if it's a problem with the design, but needless to say he doesn't own it any more.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I have a Solo and it shoots 115gr without any issues though I did break it in with about 300 rounds of 124gr. I also sent mine back to Kimber (at no expense) as it would drop the mag while firing... this happened to both my wife and I. When we got it back it no longer inadvertently drops the mag, but it's also very hard to purposely drop the mag. The trigger has a shorter length of pull than my Kahr (PM45), but it's not as smooth.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Well, I fully intend to purchase a Solo sometime this year, while the other subcompacts may work well, all that I have seen excepting possibly the Bersa are tupperware guns. I abhor plastic frame firearms - son and I have near 100 firearms and none have working parts of plastic. I am fully aware the plastic will work and work well for a good length of time ~ but I don't want to purchase a "limited life" firearm. I intend for the firearms I purchase to be handed down to my heirs - not purchased for my lifetime! I am willing to spend the extra for a metal frame.

The ONLY reason the poly frame was manufactured was to cut the cost of manufacturing. I just can't wrap my head around buying something like that while for a few dollars more I can buy a proven material with unlimited life. I have many firearms of wood and metal that are 75 to over 100 years old. These still function well and are not deteriorating in any way - nor should they if properly stored - for many generations.

bersa Can't fault those that consider a firearm a tool and purchase poly frames - they have a proven track record and will likely outlast the owner. I just want mine as investments for the generations to follow.

Jim McKalip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Cumberland
    Sig P938

Well, I fully intend to purchase a Solo sometime this year, while the other subcompacts may work well, all that I have seen excepting possibly the Bersa are tupperware guns. I abhor plastic frame firearms - son and I have near 100 firearms and none have working parts of plastic. I am fully aware the plastic will work and work well for a good length of time ~ but I don't want to purchase a "limited life" firearm. I intend for the firearms I purchase to be handed down to my heirs - not purchased for my lifetime! I am willing to spend the extra for a metal frame.

The ONLY reason the poly frame was manufactured was to cut the cost of manufacturing. I just can't wrap my head around buying something like that while for a few dollars more I can buy a proven material with unlimited life. I have many firearms of wood and metal that are 75 to over 100 years old. These still function well and are not deteriorating in any way - nor should they if properly stored - for many generations.

bersa Can't fault those that consider a firearm a tool and purchase poly frames - they have a proven track record and will likely outlast the owner. I just want mine as investments for the generations to follow.

My Sig 938 has an alloy frame, not plastic.

Top Bottom