• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    My EDC has been a Kel-Tec P3AT for quite some time. I finally decided to upgrade.

This past weekend, I picked up a Kahr CW9 from Bradis. Haven't had a chance yet to get it out and test it, but I really like the way the gun feels and I plan to get an IWB holster for it.

I've been on a wait list for a Kimber Solo Carry for months. I've never even seen one and was starting to believe they were an urban legend.....until this afternoon. I got a call that IN Gun Club got one in and my name was next. I went to check it out and there was no pressure to buy it as they have a large list......I bought it anyway.

Now I'm not sure what to do. I know that the majority of you will say "Keep Both", but I'm really not sure that is an option.

I think what I'll do is take the Kahr to the range and test it out. If it fells good and shoots well, I'll probably keep that and sell the Solo. If I'm not sure, than I'll put some rounds down range with the Solo.

The Kimber is smaller, but it weighs more. I'm really not sure. As things stand now, I have some time to decide and I won't be able to get to the range this weekend at all as family plans are taking up our entire schedule.

Anyway, it's a dilemma. But at least it's a good one to have.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    You just bought the CW9 this last weekend? You are in luck. Kahr is having a promotion on CW9s and CM9s- free magazine with a purchase in September through November.

Form link

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Wow that's about the same kind of luck I would have! Sure is a dilemma, but like you said, not really a bad one. At least either way you end up with a new gun!:D Since keeping both might not be an option, which unfortunatly I understand all too much. I would say try them both out and keep the one you like best and shoot the best. Good news is that neither of them should be too hard to resell. Anyway congrats on your purchases and good luck with your tough decision! :ingo:

GoDawgs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    NWI
    Going on the 'use what's best for you' mantra that everybody preaches at INGO, I say split a box or two of bullets between the two of them at the range and see which one YOU like the best. At this point, both are now in 'used' (or "LNIB" even) condition, so I don't think 25 test rounds through the pipe will make any difference if you want to resell one or the other.

Personally, I'd probably take the Solo just because I know everybody would be jealous of me at the range! It's a beautiful gun

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    I picked up a Kahr PM9 from PSS. My lust for a Kimber Solo ceased. I think the verdict is still out on the Solo as far as reliabilty. They are certainly beautiful, but very hard to come by right now. The PM9 feels the void rather nicely :)

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I picked up a Kahr PM9 from PSS. My lust for a Kimber Solo ceased. I think the verdict is still out on the Solo as far as reliabilty. They are certainly beautiful, but very hard to come by right now. The PM9 feels the void rather nicely :)

Ditto for me.
    I traded for a PM9 at Cosners and have carried it every day for about a month now.
    It is really a great gun.
    For me, between a CM9 (a PM9 with regular barrel, a staked front sight, some MIM parts, and less machining on the slide) and a Solo, it would be a very difficult decision.
    Mostly beauty (the solo) over utility (the Kahr) assuming that the Solo trigger is as good as the Kahr.
    Here is a comparison chart from defensivecarry.com's forum. and a link to the thread http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum.../118934-comparison-charts-kimber-solo-vs.html
    PM9-Solocomparison-1.jpg

Now the CW9 is a different story.
    I would choose the Kimber Solo just for the smaller size.

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport

And, the PM9 is the same size dimensionally as the PM40

LuckyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    That's actually a pretty tough dilemma. My first thought would be to keep the Kahr and sell the Kimber. I do like the idea of having a hard to get firearm first (not something I typically do).

I would at least shoot both and see which is better for you. I doubt you'll have a hard time selling the Solo if it's the Kahr you prefer.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    Any update on what you decided?? A coworker and I were just comparing the Kimber Solo with the Kahr PM9 and the CW9.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    For those considering a Solo, note that there have been a LOT of complaints by owners about the pistols not working and many have been going back to Kimber for problems... sometimes multiple trips.

There are a number of threads about this on DefensiveCarry.com by owners talking about the various problems they're having including a rumor that production of the Solo has ceased until they work out some issues. Of course this is unverified as Kimber hasn't said anything that I'm aware of regarding production of the pistol.

USMC3041

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Just a thought, there is an article in this months issue of American Rifleman on the Solo. If I remember right it is designed for 124 +p only and springs have to be changed out every 1000 rounds. The gun was not engineered for anything but those, shooting reloads and 115 gr through it causes problems. And I could be all wet on my memory, it does suffer at older age ya no...

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    I took both out to Eagle Creek Pistol Range this past Sunday and broke them in. I'm undecided as of yet.

As to performance, they were both flawless.

The book for the Kimber Solo states to use premium, hollow-point, self defense ammo only of 124-147 grains. I bought a box of Winchester 147 grain to test it out. We ran all 50 rounds through it (I fired about 30 rounds, Guy at ECPR fired a magazine or two as did James). It has a long trigger pull (to be expected) that will take some getting used to.

After that, I still had some Federal factory ammo of 115gr red box Wal-Mart purchased variety. I ran 4 magazines of that through the Solo, fully expecting it not to cycle the slide. I was wrong. Even with that "plinking" ammo, the gun was flawless.

The CW9 is obviously a little bigger and not as snappy as the Kimber. I only tested that one with the Federal factory and a couple of magazines of my own reloads. It performed great with all ammo. The trigger pull is also long, but I was able to keep it closer to on target. Again, it will take some practice to really get the fell for the gun and the sites.

To sum up, both guns were flawless, including the Kimber performance using plinking ammo. I am still undecided on what to keep. I really don't see the need to keep both. However, I'm also not sure yet what I'll do.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    The Solos are harder to come by right now.

If you unload the Kahr and decide you want another one, it should be easy to find one.

If you unload the Kimber and decide you want it back, you may be waiting awhile...

DaveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Washington IN.
    I have a CW9, there isn't anything I don't like about it. I've held the Solo, not shot it. I would put some more rounds through the Kahr, at least a couple hundred, I think that will help you decide.

mpluers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    I love to shoot, and I like nice guns. I like to shoot nice guns. And that is why I have a PM9 and not a Solo. A PM9 will eat almost anything that you feed it. A Solo, on the other hand, is particular about the rounds that you run through it (per Kimber), which is a problem in my book. If I wanted to spend $1/round at the range, I'd be shooting a .50, not a 9mm.

Top Bottom