• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    Been thinking about getting a Kimber Solo for CCW. Got a while before LTCH will be back and am finalizing which gun for that purpose. I have researched several articles concerning the mini's and subs and really like the Kimber. I guess is it worth the $$$'s or should I go cheaper, say the Berretta Nano? Handguns are not my specialty, but I have used several in the service and shooting with friends. Don't want a double stack due to conceal ability and don't really don't want to go 380 or 32. Plan on sticking with 9mm and like the Kimber Solo in the Diamond Coat with the Crimson trace lazer grip. I know it's pricey, but it will be my 30th wedding anniversary gift. Any thoughts, critiques, advice greatly appreciated. :cool:

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    My advice is general and not specific to your consideration of the Solo. "If you're looking at a Kimber, keep looking elsewhere." All bling, no quality. A really high-priced Taurus. The only good thing Kimber has done in the last 10 years is get rid of Cohen. Sadly, we inherited him.

You asked for opinions. That's mine. Good luck in your search.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I would suggest to buy something that has a good track record (I wouldn't buy anything Kimber), I have first hand experience with them and friends don't tell friends to buy a kimber. There is a lot of great options out there in the same size Shield, CW9, Nano, LC9, just to name a few that are known to be reliable.

Last edited:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Funny thing is I just saw the gun I was gonna recomend right here in the INGO classifieds. SAS model and all.

From everything I have read and heard the Kimber Solo is a no go. Lots of bad press and very little good to be found on them when you dig deeper.

Hit up SmokinSigs357 see if you can hash out a deal on this sweet little piece. I'd be all over it myself if my funds were not all ready spoken for.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-sig_p239_sas_gen_2_9mm_never_been_fired.html

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    From everything I have read and heard the Kimber Solo is a no go. Lots of bad press and very little good to be found on them when you dig deeper.

^^^ This.

I'd research it (I have), if just buying one. Carry is another issue, I want something reliable.

BTW, the SAS he's referring to, is a hard pistol to find. Very good option for carry.

DIRTROAD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    You might look at a Springfield emp 9mm , lot of money but if you where going to buy a kimber I think they are about the same range I have an emp and love it, shoots like a big gun but small

sig-man

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    North
    I will add one more to what seems to be the general vote here. Way to much money for something that has gotten a lot of bad reviews. I did some research on it and a lot of the articles said it was extremely particular to certain types of ammunition. I would save my money and get something more reliable. A Shield, Nano, Kahr, LC9, XDS would all be better choices in my opinion. Really anything other than a Kimber!

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I wanted one bad. I put down money for the first to come through my lgs. It came, and I got scared from the bad press, put the money towards another gun. Don't regret it one bit.

Single stack, pps has my money. I'll never part with mine.

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Do not trust your life to a Kimber.

The only pistol in that size range I would trust is the shield or a well-tested and broken in Kahr.

FirearmPatriot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    I have a Kimbe Solo. It is an expensive gun to shoot as it is subject to malfunctions unless you put premium hollow points in it. When it does jam it will normally require two people to unjam it. It is a nice shooting pistol. However, after 550 rounds through it, the finish is coming off the frame. In addition, the manual safety on the right side fell off the other day for no apparent reason. There are better guns for your intended purpose than the Solo. Some have already been mentioned. This is the review of the Solo. I try to be as fair and unbaised as possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCFjs814DTc

cmstuard

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    96   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    SW Indiana
    Just bought a Solo. Top notch gun. I own several high end quality guns...Glock, Colts, Springfield, Sigs, etc. and the quality of the solo is very good. There are bad reviews out there, but mine ran perfect at the range... 250 rounds with most of those being 115 grain FMJ, which the solo isn't suppose to like. My only complaint on the gun is that the mag release is very firm and the weight is a tad heavy for a pocket gun. I was impressed with the trigger. Gun was pretty snappy with +P ammo. I have no regrets in my purchase as I knew about the mag release and weight going in. It is replacing my S&W Bodyguard 380 and G26 after one or two more trips to the range. If anything comes up I will be sure to post it. Hope this helps.

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Been thinking about getting a Kimber Solo for CCW. Got a while before LTCH will be back and am finalizing which gun for that purpose. I have researched several articles concerning the mini's and subs and really like the Kimber. I guess is it worth the $$$'s or should I go cheaper, say the Berretta Nano? Handguns are not my specialty, but I have used several in the service and shooting with friends. Don't want a double stack due to conceal ability and don't really don't want to go 380 or 32. Plan on sticking with 9mm and like the Kimber Solo in the Diamond Coat with the Crimson trace lazer grip. I know it's pricey, but it will be my 30th wedding anniversary gift. Any thoughts, critiques, advice greatly appreciated. :cool:

One: I'll just echo this just to make sure you get the point.
    Never.
    Buy.
    Kimber.

Two: Carry a full sized gun. HOW you conceal is far more important than the size of your gun. I'm 5'8" and 150lbs, I have zero problems concealing a full sized M&P 9mm or a 5" government 1911.
    Why a full sized gun? Because that will actually get you through a fight. Average violent encounter has 2.5 criminals. 7 rounds in a mouse gun won't get you that far.

Three: Never buy a mini-1911 of any make. They all have problems.

Four: If slim is what you want, a full sized 5" 1911 (of a good make. See 10-8 performance on how to select a good 1911) conceals well. Believe it or not, the M&P 9mm is very slim and conceals well too.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    I seem to be echoing lots of folks here, but if you are looking for a very small all metal firearm I'd look at the Kahr MK40 or MK9. I have an MK40 and have never had a malfunction. Grant it this isn't a range gun but I've got enough through it to be confident it won't have issues when I need it. They aren't cheap. I have the Elite version with night sights and was lucky enough to get a really good deal on it.

Top Bottom