• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    Starting look at replacing our worn out kitchen since the cabinets look awful and are starting to fall apart. I don't want to spend a ton of money but still get good quality:):. My biggest hurdle right now is where to get the cabinets. I plan on getting a quote from Lowes but doubt I'll buy from them. I know a Amish guy down in Odon that does great work but it's a 2 hour drive and I'm fearful of the logistics if there is a mistake and something has to tweaked once they are made. Fortunately my kitchen is pretty small, only need 6 full size uppers and lowers and a couple narrow cabinets. Is there any cabinet makers around central Indiana that are affordable?

Last edited:

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    There is an old saying. “Good, fast, cheap. Pick any two.” Seems as if you’re wanting all three.

I wouldn’t use IKEA or Lowe’s either. Lowe’s stuff is cheap. I can’t testify about IKEA, but can’t imagine a big box store resolving an issue quickly or easily.

Several years ago I used a local lumberyard on the south side. They provided a good product at a fair price. Don’t expect to get solid cherry or walnut for plywood prices. I can’t remember the name of the lumberyard, it was just off 465 on 67.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    I have to agree with amboy49, the Lowe's(or HD or Menards) cabinets are not high quality.
    You want quality, you need to go with a custom cabinet maker.

You don't want to spend a ton of money. What is a ton of money? (rhetorical question, but seriously- you need to have a budget). I just finished installing some exterior shutters for a long-time repeat customer. They wanted quality, solid raised-panel shutters(not vinyl), so I priced out cedar. Just the cost of the shutters was above their budget! They told me their budget and I found an alternative--solid composite wood shutters that met their criteria, and including paint and install was within their budget. By knowing what they wanted and how much they had budgeted, I was able to complete the job and have a very satisfied customer.
    Yes, custom cabinets can be costly. They can also be competitively priced with Lowe's when you compare apples-to-apples.

With that being said, I have also had potential customers that have balked at the cost of my cabinets. They were looking at cost only.

If you want, PM me and I will help as much as I can. (Mods, if this is out of line, delete post)

https://www.facebook.com/RockwellDiversifiedWoodworks/
    Rockwell Diversified Woodworks
    https://www.cabinetmakers.org/2017-wood-diamond-award-rockwell-diversified-woodworks.html

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Check the Habitat For Humanity Restores. They get surplus stuff donated and sell it. Some new. some used. I looked there when I was setting up my reloading dungeon. They had some cabinets but all I really needed was utility so I passed. Even though the prices were not bad, they were not what I was looking for.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I would suggest going to a Lowe's or find a Kraftmade dealer and call ahead and make an appointment with a kitchen designer. Bring all your measurements including where the windows and plumbing are located. Look at Kraftmade cabinets and definitely look at upgrading to the full plywood cabinet.
    With the full plywood upgrade and the quantity of finishing Kraftmade does, they are very nice cabinets.
    Disclosure, my ex sold kitchen cabinets for Lowe's and now a custom cabinet maker for 25 years or so, I put Kraftmade plywood cabinets in two homes now.
    The custom shop she works for now uses Kraftmade plywood cabinets for his builds, he builds the face frames, drawers and doors.

Top Bottom