• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RyanV

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    La Porte County
    It's also not "illegal" to sell assisted opening knives anywhere in Indiana since they do not violate any actual laws. Each and every assisted opening design on the market was specifically designed not not violate any switchblade or autmomatic knife laws.

Then what does IC 35-47-5-2 mean? The display, offer, or sell clause would mean that those guys at the gun shows are selling the knives illegally right? So none of the "automatic" knives are actually automatic? Hmmm, confusing me thinks.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    The whole set of rules is confusing - you can "get" an automatic knife, but you can't "possess" one??

Really??

Let's just do away with these silly laws anyhow, don'tcha think? I knew many an LEO in Ohio with an automatic knife, and I could open my manual knife just as fast as they could. Many times, I was faster than their knife was, and I carry a manual! If you want an automatic knife, then I think you should have one..

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I'd love to have an automatic knife! How does it know to open automatically when i need it?

Jedi training. Lots and lots of Jedi training.

It involves standing in a horse stance and beating beaten with sticks and splashed with ice cold water. Ya know, Jedi training.:D

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Anyone can get an automatic knife in Indiana. No one can possess them legally, and that includes police and military personnel as there is no statutory exemption for them (see the pertinent section of the Indiana Code quoted previously).

I do not know for sure what Rhino meant, but I interpreted the above to mean this:

Obtaining an auto knife is not impossible. Illegal, but still feasible. Just like saying weed is illegal. Yes, its illegal, but it wouldn't be hard to go buy some. Yes, its not sold at Walmart, but there are other venues for buying illegal commodities.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I have to side with Kirk on that, I cannot find that anywhere. Therein lies the issue with some states: the state is VERY liberal towards guns and protection, however, municipalities can be really weird!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I do not know for sure what Rhino meant, but I interpreted the above to mean this:

Obtaining an auto knife is not impossible. Illegal, but still feasible. Just like saying weed is illegal. Yes, its illegal, but it wouldn't be hard to go buy some. Yes, its not sold at Walmart, but there are other venues for buying illegal commodities.

Exactly. You can often find autos at gun shows and even sometimes in display cabinets in stores. You can get them mail order.

Just because you can get them and they are freely available doesn't mean that it's within the law to do so. It means that the law can't be enforced effectively, and that it's likely to only be enforce selectively, such as when it's "helpful" to LEOs to do so.

Indiana law does not "allow" anyone to acquire or possess them, regardless of their occupation.

It is a stupid, stupid law that was motivated by the same kind of unthinking hysteria that gives us all of our gun control laws.

mrw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Several states outlaw dirks and daggers or other knives that are sharpened on both sides.

I'd like to know about saps too. I used to live in AZ and they were illegal there, at least at that time. CCW was illegal too but that has changed since I left.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    about four years ago I bought an "automatic letter opener" at the 1500 it was cheap but make no mistakes it was a knife and it was sharp. also when I was younger I used to buy ninja stars at the college mall when the knife shop was there. I do have a question as to the legality of this knife though?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa_NC-_fvKs"]YouTube - WASP Injection Knife vs. Watermelon[/ame]

JimFloyd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Indiana Law

Information Maintained by the Office of Code Revision Indiana Legislative Services Agency
    12/20/2008 08:34:42 PM EST IC 35-47-5
    Chapter 5. Prohibited Instruments of Violence
    IC 35-47-5-1
    Repealed
    (Repealed by P.L.123-2002, SEC.51.)

IC 35-47-5-2
    Knife with blade that opens automatically or may be propelled
    Sec. 2. It is a Class B misdemeanor for a person to manufacture, possess, display, offer, sell, lend, give away, or purchase any knife with a blade that:
    (1) opens automatically; or
    (2) may be propelled;
    by hand pressure applied to a button, device containing gas, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.70-2000, SEC.2.

IC 35-47-5-2.5
    Possession of a knife on school property
    Sec. 2.5. (a) As used in this section, "knife" means an instrument that:
    (1) consists of a sharp edged or sharp pointed blade capable of inflicting cutting, stabbing, or tearing wounds; and
    (2) is intended to be used as a weapon.
    (b) The term includes a dagger, dirk, poniard, stiletto, switchblade knife, or gravity knife.
    (c) A person who recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally possesses a knife on:
    (1) school property (as defined in IC 35-41-1-24.7);
    (2) a school bus (as defined in IC 20-27-2-8); or
    (3) a special purpose bus (as defined in IC 20-27-2-10);
    commits a Class B misdemeanor. However, the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if the person has a previous unrelated conviction under this section and a Class D felony if the offense results in bodily injury or serious bodily injury to another person.
    (d) This section does not apply to a person who possesses a knife:
    (1) if:
    (A) the knife is provided to the person by the school corporation or possession of the knife is authorized by the school corporation; and
    (B) the person uses the knife for a purpose authorized by the school corporation; or
    (2) if the knife is secured in a motor vehicle.
    As added by P.L.72-2006, SEC.9.

IC 35-47-5-3
    Repealed
    (Repealed by P.L.269-1995, SEC.10.)

IC 35-47-5-4
    Repealed
    (Repealed by P.L.1-1990, SEC.350.)
    IC 35-47-5-4.1
    Sawed-off shotgun
    Sec. 4.1. (a) A person who:
    (1) manufactures;
    (2) causes to be manufactured;
    (3) imports into Indiana;
    (4) keeps for sale;
    (5) offers or exposes for sale; or
    (6) gives, lends, or possesses;
    any sawed-off shotgun commits dealing in a sawed-off shotgun, a Class D felony.
    (b) The presence of a weapon referred to in subsection (a) in a motor vehicle (as defined under IC 9-13-2-105(a)) except for school buses and a vehicle operated in the transportation of passengers by a common carrier (as defined in IC 8-2.1-17-4) creates an inference that the weapon is in the possession of the persons occupying the motor vehicle. However, the inference does not apply to all the persons occupying the motor vehicle if the weapon is found upon, or under the control of, one (1) of the occupants. In addition, the inference does not apply to a duly licensed driver of a motor vehicle for hire who finds the weapon in the licensed driver's motor vehicle in the proper pursuit of the licensed driver's trade.
    (c) This section does not apply to a law enforcement officer who is acting in the course of the officer's official duties or to a person who manufactures or imports for sale or sells a sawed-off shotgun to a law enforcement agency.
    As added by P.L.1-1990, SEC.351. Amended by P.L.2-1991, SEC.107.

IC 35-47-5-5
    Application of chapter
    Sec. 5. This chapter does not apply to any firearm not designed to use fixed cartridges or fixed ammunition, or any firearm made before January 1, 1899.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

IC 35-47-5-6
    Purchasing or obtaining a rifle or shotgun
    Sec. 6. (a) Any resident of Indiana:
    (1) who is eighteen (18) years of age or older; and
    (2) who is not prohibited by law from obtaining, possessing, or using a firearm;
    may purchase or obtain a rifle or shotgun in Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan, or Illinois.
    (b) Any resident of Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan, or Illinois:
    (1) who is eighteen (18) years of age or older; and
    (2) who is not prohibited by the laws of Indiana, his domicile, or the United States from obtaining, possessing, or using a firearm;
    may purchase or obtain a rifle, shotgun, or ammunition for a rifle or a shotgun in Indiana.
    (c) Any transaction under this section is subject to the provisions of the Gun Control Act of 1968 (82 Stat. 1213, 18 U.S.C. 0.922(B)(3)).
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.
    IC 35-47-5-7
    Repealed
    (Repealed by P.L.175-1984, SEC.5.)

IC 35-47-5-8
    Machine gun
    Sec. 8. A person who owns or possesses a machine gun commits a Class C felony.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.104-2000, SEC.3; P.L.123-2002, SEC.43.

IC 35-47-5-9
    Operating loaded machine gun
    Sec. 9. A person who operates a loaded machine gun commits a Class B felony.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.104-2000, SEC.4; P.L.123-2002, SEC.44.
    IC 35-47-5-10
    Applicability of statutes relating to machine guns
    Sec. 10. The provisions of section 8 or 9 of this chapter shall not be construed to apply to any of the following:
    (1) Members of the military or naval forces of the United States, National Guard of Indiana, or Indiana State Guard, when on duty or practicing.
    (2) Machine guns kept for display as relics and which are rendered harmless and not usable.
    (3) Any of the law enforcement officers of this state or the United States while acting in the furtherance of their duties.
    (4) Persons lawfully engaged in the display, testing, or use of fireworks.
    (5) Agencies of state government.
    (6) Persons permitted by law to engage in the business of manufacturing, assembling, conducting research on, or testing machine guns, airplanes, tanks, armored vehicles, or ordnance equipment or supplies while acting within the scope of such business.
    (7) Persons possessing, or having applied to possess, machine guns under applicable United States statutes. Such machine guns must be transferred as provided in this article.
    (8) Persons lawfully engaged in the manufacture, transportation, distribution, use or possession of any material, substance, or device for the sole purpose of industrial, agricultural, mining, construction, educational, or any other lawful use.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.104-2000, SEC.5; P.L.123-2002, SEC.45.
    IC 35-47-5-11
    "Armor-piercing handgun ammunition" defined; related offenses
    Sec. 11. (a) As used in this section, "armor-piercing handgun ammunition" means a cartridge that:
    (1) can be fired in a handgun; and
    (2) will, upon firing, expel a projectile that has a metal core and an outer coating of plastic.
    (b) A person who knowingly or intentionally:
    (1) manufactures;
    (2) possesses;
    (3) transfers possession of; or
    (4) offers to transfer possession of;
    armor-piercing handgun ammunition commits a Class C felony.
    (c) This section does not apply to nylon coated ammunition, plastic shot capsules, or ammunition designed to be used in rifles or shotguns.
    (d) This section does not apply to a law enforcement officer who is acting in the course of the officer's official duties or to a person who manufactures or imports for sale or sells armor-piercing handgun ammunition to a law enforcement agency.
    As added by P.L.332-1983, SEC.1. Amended by P.L.327-1987, SEC.2.

IC 35-47-5-12
    "Chinese throwing star" defined; related offenses
    Sec. 12. (a) A person who:
    (1) manufactures;
    (2) causes to be manufactured;
    (3) imports into Indiana;
    (4) keeps for sale;
    (5) offers or exposes for sale; or
    (6) gives, lends, or possesses;
    a Chinese throwing star commits a Class C misdemeanor.
    (b) As used in this section, "Chinese throwing star" means a throwing-knife, throwing-iron, or other knife-like weapon with blades set at different angles.
    As added by P.L.318-1985, SEC.2.

IC 35-47-5-13
    Unlawful use of body armor
    Sec. 13. (a) As used in this section, "body armor" means bullet resistant metal or other material worn by a person to provide protection from weapons or bodily injury.
    (b) A person who knowingly or intentionally uses body armor while committing a felony commits unlawful use of body armor, a Class D felony.
    As added by P.L.227-1996, SEC.1.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    A knife law went into effect prohibiting knives in schools a couple of summers ago. The only exception is for maintenance people to have knives that are issued to them by the school. Like the automatic knife prohibition, there is no exemption for law enforcement or anyone else.

Yes there is. If you are an amputee or are handicapped (like arthritis or something) or deformed. I know you can for a fact. I know this one guy, and he carries his all the time.

Top Bottom