• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hntrroy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    Winslow IN
    I inherited an old RIA Springfield 1904 that has a low serial number. The rifle is not usable due to an issue with the heat treating on the receiver. It looks like someone attempted to do a restoration and only got part way through it and discovered that it was defective. So now my question is about what to do with it. I was wondering if the metal can be used to make a knife. I am new to knife making and just wasn't sure about how good it would be. I figured that with all the experienced people on INGO I would get some good advice. Thanks in advance.

PoolQs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Noblesville
    I am sorry that I can not answer your question. Not being a gun guy and not knowing what type of steel that was used
    for the barrel, I have no answer. Maybe if one of the gun guys can answer the material question, I should be able to
    answer the forging question. Troy

PoolQs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Noblesville
    I just happened to come across this and remembered your question.
    If you do a little research, you might be able to find your answer.

attachment.php

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    The barrel is most likely a Chro-moly steel, 41XX series. While it could be made into a knife, other materials would perform much better. Reading around, Blind Horse made knives at one time out of 4140, interesting find I must say.

With all that said, if you mind is set out on it.... Give it a try, it might just lead you someplace you never expected to be...

Deadeye(+)

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2015
    Bainbridge
    If you really wanted to do some forging a piece of carbon steel could be forge welded into the edge while the body of the blade could be made of the lower carbon steel. Tough job but would turn into a pretty nice knife

Top Bottom