• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BStarkey 46947

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    "A knife is classified as a tool as long as the intention is not to use as a weapon." Per my son's MS Principal. I too carried a pocket knife everyday to MS and HS in the early-mid 80s. Common sense isn't so common anymore.

cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    It’s crazy how people get so unraveled about man’s oldest tool. Sure if someone tries maliciously stabbing people, arrest ‘em. But some dude carrying a knife in a school never raises an eyebrow for me.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    FWIW, my knife is very obvious. I work EMS and my knife reflects that. Bright orange folder with a star of life on it. Clipped to my pocket and no one has batted an eye.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    When I was in high school in the early 2000's almost every male student had a pocket knife on them. It was technically against school policy, but no one cared. I remember one time a teacher needed a knife for something and actually asked the class if any student had one he could use and at least 5 students pulled one out right away.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    FWIW, my knife is very obvious. I work EMS and my knife reflects that. Bright orange folder with a star of life on it. Clipped to my pocket and no one has batted an eye.

Same here. I typically carry three knives at work, a multi-tool with a blade, a folder I've carried since I was in the Army and a spring assist pocket clip knife.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    In my high school, in the late 70s, two of my friends made large Bowie-style knives in our Woods & Metals shop class. No one thought it was a big deal. One of them even used his knife project as the subject of his demonstration speech in English class, showing off the finished knife.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    In my high school, in the late 70s, two of my friends made large Bowie-style knives in our Woods & Metals shop class. No one thought it was a big deal. One of them even used his knife project as the subject of his demonstration speech in English class, showing off the finished knife.

In 8th grade metal shop (would have been 1978-79), I sandcasted a pair of nunchaku from aluminum. Those suckers were heavy.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I guess I MAY have broken the law for 18 years then. Before I carried a folder I carried a Swiss Army knife.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    In Boy Scouts, when we gave kids their Tomahawk Badge, we always explained to them, that the badge does NOT mean they can take their knife to school.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    The real question is why would anyone send their child to a school that bans pocketknives - or to allow any school to do that? If you send your child to a school that wishes to brainwash them with liberal stupidity they WILL become brainwashed. Look at Great Britain today. We must never start down that road where the Govt. gives themselves the authority to ban anything solely because you "might" do something bad with it. The whole idea of preventing crimes by banning objects is absurd.

Last edited:

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I remember the small knives that used to be given as prizes at the elementary school fund raisers. Times have really changed since the 1970's.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The Tomahawk Badge? That predates me. Lol I got my whittling **** in Cub Scouts and we had the exact same conversation.

Crap. Now I can't remember what it was called.
    There was a card for building and maintaining the fire.
    And one for knives, axes, saws.

Totenchip.
    Okay, that's it

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    evolevo
    Top Bottom