• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I bought a little hand-held Gerber sharpener for five bucks. I ran my EDC knife through it a couple times and decided I didn't like it... So I bought a Spyderco Sharpmaker! I got a nice deal on a used one and I love it. It's easy to use and hard to screw up.

I still need to drop something off with Tyler though...

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    that is my experience so take it for what it's worth. if your gonna get one get the EP like grunt said the WE is far more expensive when you buy more or replacement stones.

Tough call to make on which one to go with...it all depends on what you read.....pros and cons with both systems. I'll take another look at the Edge Pro since your the man with the knowledge and experience.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    It would be for out in the field/bug out if needed. I would not be a backpacker bug outer, unless I absolutely had to. The Spiderco looks like the deal for me at this point.
    What about for axes? Any advice there?

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Small angle grinder works well for axes, shovels, etc... I have also used my dremel and a wet wheel I bought from Sears.

For most sharpening task, I use my Sharpmaker. I have a dozen or so other systems including the Lansky, but the Spyderco wins out. The ultra fine stones are essential IMO, and the diamond ones are nice for harder stuff. Bad thing is the diamond stones don't last long and get expensive.

There are some steels and blade shapes that are going to give you trouble with any system. I have found Tyler to be the best remedy. The guy knows his stuff, and is great to deal with.

Top Bottom