• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    What is the best and safest way to sharpen a knife? Safest, I mean by no damage to the knife.
    I use to just use one of those cross wedged bladed or cross wheeled, bolted down knife sharpeners.
    Recently I bought a diamond block, and if anything but the cutting edge of the blade touches it, it scratches it up. I was just using a $20 Winchester Guthook stainless knive, and it is old and beat up already, so I didn't care
    But it does seem to get it a lot sharper than those cheap wedged or wheeled sharpeners that you just slice your knife through.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Not necessarily "best", but for relatively low cost and minimal skill, you can bring out a pretty decent edge with a Spyderco Sharpmaker. If used correctly, it won't damage the blade either.

204_L.jpg

jmdavis984

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Greenfield
    The best/easiest/safest way to get a sharp knife it to take it to a professional knife sharpener. They will have all of the tools/skill necessary to give you whatever kind of edge you desire, from tough cutting to mirror polished.

However, if you want to do it yourself, there are ONLY two things you need to get a good edge: a decent sharpener and LOTS of practice. I have avoided the Sharpmaker b ecause it just doesn't seem as versatile as the systems I will mention. I use a Lansky and a leather belt, and while it gives me a pretty good edge, it isn't perfect. The stones a bit thin, the rods are not hardened, so they will bend. However, there are LOTS of stone options (grits and shapes) and the system is quite affordable. For a cheap sharpener, if I had to make the decision all over again I would go with the Gatco system. It has hardened rods (no bending) and wider sharpening surfaces, a more versatile clamp, and the diamond stones are regarded as high quality. If $ is not a problem, the Wicked Edge system seems to get the most knods. In the middle is the Edge Pro Apex (probably the best option if you want to avoid marks on the kniofe, as it has no clamp). Of course there is always the "set of good stones and LOTS of time" method, which will surely protect your knives, but I don't have the time to build that skill.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Faff
    Top Bottom