• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    I recently purchased a spyderco delica 4 and i dont think it is very sharp. Is it just not meant to be very sharp to begin with? Its not a very expensive knife but i would like it to be as sharp as possible.

acarnahan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    All my spydercos including a Delica 4 have been very sharp out of box. I had a fairly long quest of trying sharpeners, and all I can say is that some work great for certain people but suck for others. After testing about 7, I landed on Spyderco's Sharpmaker and I'm happy with it for most of my knives. I have recently purchased an Apex that does an amazing job but may not be the first sharpener I'd recommend.

We have a shop in town that will sharpen knives for $1 per inch, so it's probably $3 for a Delica. Look locally to see what businesses charge.

Last edited:

DBH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Carmel
    I think the sharpmaker is a great product for touching up and sharpening knives. It might seem pricey to some, but works great on knives that are not super dull or just need a touch up to get sharp again. I use a belt sharpener or paper wheels on a buffer now, and get the results I want. The Apex system or wicked edge systems are great but pricey. Looks the previous poster indicated might want to check with a local business to sharpen as well.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Belt sander - $39 + cost of belts

Sharpmaker - $53 + cost of fine rods

Other system?

Which one would you choose for obtaining truly razor sharp edges?

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    An inexpensive belt sander from Harbor Freight will do a nice job of sharpening with a few micron belts and a leather belt from Lee Valley, but the edge will be convex and not a perfect “V”. I use a Tormek to grind the nice “V” profile and the belt sander with a leather belt charged with white jeweler’s rouge to power strop to a razor edge. I can usually sharpen then strop to a razor edge 15 knives per hour with this process. The two blades in the third image have just been sharpened and are a Strider SNG and SMF.
    1dqi.jpg

sharpeningservice005.jpg

smfsngedge.jpg

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    I am surprised your knife did not come razor sharp. But to get it sharp I recommend the Spyderco Sharpmaker. The sharpmakers are compact, easy to use and they come with a video to show you how to use it.
    Amazon has them for a good price.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    I do Convex grinds. Mouse pad and various levels of grit sandpaper. Then follow with leather strop and honing compound. Cheap setup and makes a wicked edge.

tt5stargeneral

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2013
    Southern California
    I second the Spyderco Sharpmaker. It is easy to use and creates a scary sharp edge. Make sure you pick up the diamond rods for dull edges and the super fine ceramic rods (and perhaps a good strop - knives plus being my favorite - to get hair splitting results.

Top Bottom