• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmiley1963

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Is there a place anyone can recommend on the west side of Indy that can put a razor's edge on my knives? I have tried for years to sharpen my knives the way my dad used to. He could shave hair off his arm with his pocket knife. I have never been able to get them that sharp. So I am looking for someone I can count on. Any ideas?

Thanks!

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Have you tried wet/dry automotive sand paper after a stone? That's how I do it and if it's good metal it will sharpen to a razors edge.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Buy a good bench stone and some cheap knives from Walmart. Practice on them. Every man needs to know how to sharpen a knife. Make your Dad proud. It's not that hard. It's simply a matter of finding the right angle and keeping it as you hone. Honing guides are available. There are tons of good how to articles on the Web. You can do this.

maver1ck

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    107   0   0
    Nov 17, 2013
    NW indiana
    Buy a good bench stone and some cheap knives from Walmart. Practice on them. Every man needs to know how to sharpen a knife. Make your Dad proud. It's not that hard. It's simply a matter of finding the right angle and keeping it as you hone. Honing guides are available. There are tons of good how to articles on the Web. You can do this.

I really need to start learning how to do this. I like your suggestion. What stones do you recommend one buy to start learning?

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    A 2 in. X 6 in. (minimum) bench stone to start, either natural Arkansas/Ouchita (medium grit) or a man made diamond stone (diamond stones cost more but never wear down and become non flat). Use oil on the natural stones and water on the diamond stones. Place a piece of non slip mat (Lowe's, Menards, Home Depot) under the stone so it won't move while you use both hands to hold the blade. Use light pressure and hold the blade at about a 20 degree angle. The whole trick is to maintain the same angle on every stroke. Eventually you will raise a burr on one side and then remove it with one last stroke on the opposite side. There are numerous articles on the internet and Youtube.

Last edited:

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I really need to start learning how to do this. I like your suggestion. What stones do you recommend one buy to start learning?
    My personal favorite is the Razor Edge System ... Razor Edge Systems - Knife Sharpening Systems ... buy a starter kit with stones and guides, watch the videos, and you're home free ... this is an easy system to use. I only use the 8" stones with this system.

Even easier is a motorized belt system like Work Sharp ... Work Sharp Tools ... also very easy to use and FAST. I don't like it as much as the Razor Edge System, but when you're sharpening a bunch of kitchen knives for your in-laws, the Work Sharp can't be beat.

Best of all both these systems are dry systems.

alc1985

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Burns Harbor by the Dunes
    I have had a Lansky system for almost twenty years. It took me a long time to learn how to get good results but now I'm glad I have it.
    Some on this and others forums praise the Sharp maker so it must also work.

Dave A

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    Hancock Co.
    The GATCO system works like the Lansky except the GATCO stones are longer and wider. I have been using the Lansky system for years and it works well for getting a sharp edge.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I have used a Lansky for many years and the only downside is that if you try to use it on a blade much longer than say, 4 in. (like a pocketknife), you will need to move the guide down the blade as you go. It is pretty much foolproof though. For long kitchen knives I use an 8 in. Norton India bench stone. Just get a bench stone and some cheap knives and play with it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    For any system, tool, or freehand sharpening, it's going to help anyone to understand what you're trying to do when you sharpen a knife. I've a significant number of knives whose bevels were cosmetically beautiful with a nice mirror shine that did not form a sharp cutting edge because they did not "meet" at the bottom.

Ed Juranich's "Razor Edge" book/guide is worth it just to understand the ideas. The basic concepts are applicable to any tool or jig.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    For any system, tool, or freehand sharpening, it's going to help anyone to understand what you're trying to do when you sharpen a knife. I've a significant number of knives whose bevels were cosmetically beautiful with a nice mirror shine that did not form a sharp cutting edge because they did not "meet" at the bottom.

Ed Juranich's "Razor Edge" book/guide is worth it just to understand the ideas. The basic concepts are applicable to any tool or jig.

I think I figured out what causes that, when you use the strops (stropping is the only way to get the mirrored bevels) you have to back the degree of stropping off by a couple degrees per side. If you do not do this the leather which is soft will form to the apex of the edge and actually roll it. Just saying.....

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think I figured out what causes that, when you use the strops (stropping is the only way to get the mirrored bevels) you have to back the degree of stropping off by a couple degrees per side. If you do not do this the leather which is soft will form to the apex of the edge and actually roll it. Just saying.....

That's one thing!

Another is when someone doesn't understand that the bevels have to actually meet to make an edge. They will have two shiny surfaces, then then a relatively thick strip of untouched metal where the edge would form if the bevels met.

Top Bottom