• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    So I want to try my hand at making a couple knives for myself this winter. I plan on getting a 1x30 belt grinder from Harbor freight and I have files and such. I was just wondering where a good place to source steel and handle material around Indy. Im thinking 440c for one and 1095 for another. The 1095 would be my first trial then move to the stainless for the other. As for handles I want a canvas micarta or g10 material. Thanks in advance. :ingo:

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    My husband just took up knife-making so I will ask him for you. For his first knife, he bought the blade and just made a handle from our wood at home. Second knife, he bought a rectangular piece of steel then sourced everything else from our property and managed to use tools we already have (we do have a grinder.)

I'll ask him where he ordered the steel. I know he's been watching youtube videos and he spoke with a knifemaker at the gun&knife show.

This is the first "from scratch" project; it was my Christmas present and I think it's pretty cool. The wood is from a walnut limb. the rivets were made from a salvaged part from a toilet we replaced (I'm not mechanical but ya know the bronze arm that goes across the tank), and the lanyard opening is from a spent round from my .44 deer rifle) It has a palm swell to fit my hand and the jibbing location was also sized for me.
    knife.jpg

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    I have looked online for steel, I was just wanting to source locally. I have been reading a lot (jayfisher.com is awesome IMO) and youtubing. I know I can do it, as long as my patience holds out! That is an awesome knife dusty88! Looks like a lot of time, effort and thought went into it! I will probably start with a bushcraft style with the 1095 or 01. steady my hand anf grind then move to a stainless tactical utility.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Skip leaf springs. You are going to work too hard to want to risk that.

got some 1095 and some g10.

matter of fact. Send me your address and I will send you some stuff, free of charge. You need to post pictures of what you work on though!

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Bad Joe! Another hooked!! Buwahahaha!!!

Horse stall mat works great for non-slip handle material. The knife cutting pros all use it. Cheap, easy to grind and grippy!

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    Im a mechanic so I already have all that. Horse mat you say? All the pros you say? I may try vehicle undercoating but buying an entire mat new is not in the budget! :):
    I did buy some small files to try some filework too. Go big or go home.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Im a mechanic so I already have all that. Horse mat you say? All the pros you say? I may try vehicle undercoating but buying an entire mat new is not in the budget! :):
    I did buy some small files to try some filework too. Go big or go home.

You can buy it by the foot off a roll at rural king

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    I would definetly go with a high carbon steel, that being 1095 or another in that catagory. They are easy to work with and can hold a wicked sharp edge.

I do know that I want high carbon steel, I just want to know a good place to get it. Ive heard one places 1095 may be different than anothers 1095.

Top Bottom