• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Duron219

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2012
    East Chicago
    I'm looking for a fixed-blade knife to carry as and EDC knife. The maximum blade length I want is 5". I'm not sure of what to get. I have always carried folders and I currently carry a Gerber 06 FAST.

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    opplanet-benchmade-nimravus-fixed-tanto-knife-combo-bk1-blade-green-handle-141sbk-adc.png

Benchmade nimravus

FortWayneGunfighter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 13, 2012
    The desert...
    i know its a folder but Cold Steel Spartan great knife but i stress that it is designed to be a weapon not a tool as many knives are this thing is made only for killing. I carry one while on base because i cant carry my Glock

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Look no further than the Izula-II by ESEE. They are hard to find in stores, but Brad's Knives and the Knife Lady are dealers. You'll never, ever regret this purchase. I suggest getting the kit with the knife--it will provide everything you need for any EDC situation and beyond.

IZULA-II-DTKIT%5Blarge%5D.jpg

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I really hate chiming in here twice, but I really cannot resist the urge to impres upon everyone how great the ESEE Izula-II is. It comes standard with Micarta grips. The steel and the overall knife construction is of excellent, American made quality. You can literally carry it anywhere and for any reason. I have mine comfortably tucked into my pocket. However, you can get a boot/belt clip, attach it to a bag or tac vest, or wear it around your neck. I urge you to go the extra mile and buy one of these. It will be the best knife purchase you will ever make that is under $100.00.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Strider MFS
    Strider DB
    Tom Krein Mini 8
    Tom Krein 8
    Tom Krein Hydra
    Bark River Bravo
    Grayman Dinka
    Grayman Suenami
    Dervish Golemn
    Olexley FOS
    Brock C2
    Brock Cathead
    Hossom Dog Tag
    ESEE line
    Mello Fallout
    Foltz Minimalist

i could go on, but we need more specifics on what you would like and expect from the knife.

Duron219

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2012
    East Chicago
    By EDC I mean self-defense and if I am able to do light work with it that is a plus. Price isn't too much of a problem I want to see what is out there for now. I looked at the ESEE knives before and I liked them. Multiple mounting options are a plus, I don't want one that is too bulky and too heavy.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    By EDC I mean self-defense and if I am able to do light work with it that is a plus. Price isn't too much of a problem I want to see what is out there for now. I looked at the ESEE knives before and I liked them. Multiple mounting options are a plus, I don't want one that is too bulky and too heavy.

If you like the esee line, you might consider the 3 or the 3 mil. It was the last one I bought (for me, bought some izula 2s for my daughter and a buddy). It's not bulky at all. The blade is thin and is great for slicing but still very strong. Light to medium work load not a problem at all. It's a dream to carry.

Blade length is just under 4" and weight is less than 10 oz with the sheath and molle back.

I trade off between the 3 mil and the izula 2 as a my edc but I always have one or the other on me.

I really like my 4 too but it's bulkier. The 5 is very bulky at .25" thick IIRC.

Good luck with your search for a good edc. Knifelady and Brad are awesome resources on this site and are super helpful. I think they have forgotten more about knives than I'll ever know.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN

multipule mounting options are nice. but one thing that KILLS me is: 99% of ALL sheath knives have multipule options. a fixed blade sheath is like a blank canvas. ESEE doesn't represent any type of advantage in this area... sorry.

i have said it before, and i'll say it again: without knife specific self defense training, one knife to another will be all but identical for you. a knife is a knife, to reword the old Bruce Lee saying. unless you train and fight, a knife is a knife.

things i would look for in a knife to purchase for carry:

materials
    -quality steel, quality handle materials, and a quality sheath
    design
    -something appealing to MY taste

for your dollar, you can't get a better all around knife steel than cpm154. you can't get a better sheath than just a standard spine fold sheath.in the end, get what YOU like.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN

My current favorite off-the-shelf fixed blade for self-defense purposes, that's within your budget, is the Benchmade 375. It runs between $100 and $125 generally, is double-edged (spine is serrated), and has a good sheath that has a lot of mount options. It's also pretty thin, which makes it easy to conceal. It's made of D2.

If you get this, though, I recommend cord-wrapping the handle. It's easy to do, and makes it a little thicker.

I'm currently wearing mine as a neck knife. Most people would say it's a little big for that, though.

One of these days I'm going to get a new camera. But in the meantime here's a stock pic:

375s.jpg

and a big +1 for "get what YOU like."

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    ^^^^^
    That Benchmade is a beautiful knife indeed. I might have to look at one of those. I think my next knife purchase will be an ESEE 3, but I may have to give that Benchmade a try. Heck, if the money is good, maybe I'll buy both!

Duron219

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2012
    East Chicago
    Im not too knowledgeable when it comes to knife brands and types of materials, the reason I got the Gerber is because my Dad has a few Gerber knifes and he showed me them. The one I have has a tanto style blade, the only problem I have with it is that it is sometimes hard to cut things with.

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    I second the Benchmade 375. Very nice knife.

Benchmade 375 Fixed Adamas

Also, through Monday, coupon code BF2012 saves you 12% on a lot of non clearance items in our store, so you can get a little better deal on one of these. As of right now we have 4 left in stock.

Free shipping over $90 as well!

Last edited:

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    I just purchased a Blackhawk Crucible FX2. It comes with a sheath that has several different carry options. Belt, IWB, Paddle, Boot, neck carry options. It is very easy to carry and conceal. The handle is great and is a very solid knife. I paid $105 on amazon.

Top Bottom