• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diablo750

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Middletown
    I've been trying to determine which knife or set of tools would be best for me in a survival situation. Currently im considering a victorinox swiss army knife or a multi-tool made by either leatherman or victorinox. As a maintenace man I've found that a 8" adjustable wrench, 6 in 1 screw driver, pry bar, and hammer can fix about 90% of our repairs. I've also been torn on which saw to pack lately. I think I would like a folding saw, possible with blades for metal and wood. High quality is also necessary. If anyone can give me any ideas or feedback it would be greatly appreciated. Below are some links to the things I mentioned.

1. Victorinox Hunter Multi-Tool: Hunting : Walmart.com
    2. Purchase the Victorinox Swisstool Spirit X Multitool for less at Walmart.com. Save money. Live better.
    3. Get the Leatherman Super Tool 300 at Walmart.com. Save money. Live better.
    4. Gerber 46036 Exchange-a-Blade Sport Saw: Hunting : Walmart.com

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I've been trying to determine which knife or set of tools would be best for me in a survival situation. Currently im considering a victorinox swiss army knife or a multi-tool made by either leatherman or victorinox. As a maintenace man I've found that a 8" adjustable wrench, 6 in 1 screw driver, pry bar, and hammer can fix about 90% of our repairs. I've also been torn on which saw to pack lately. I think I would like a folding saw, possible with blades for metal and wood. High quality is also necessary. If anyone can give me any ideas or feedback it would be greatly appreciated. Below are some links to the things I mentioned.

1. Victorinox Hunter Multi-Tool: Hunting : Walmart.com
    2. Purchase the Victorinox Swisstool Spirit X Multitool for less at Walmart.com. Save money. Live better.
    3. Get the Leatherman Super Tool 300 at Walmart.com. Save money. Live better.
    4. Gerber 46036 Exchange-a-Blade Sport Saw: Hunting : Walmart.com
    Jesus Christ no on that Gerber exchange a blade saw. Worst saw I ever owned.

Either buy quality like a silky saw or cheap value like a Fiskars. My Gerber POS came in a kit with a pair of pruners and a cool sheath. The pruners were an even bigger disappointment, I killed those year one BUT like I said the sheath is cool and it holds my Silky, a 25 year old pair of Fiskars anvil pruners and a 20 year old hori hori knife. I use them year round.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I have a couple kits that I use for different things. All have some sort of Victorinox or Wenger item in them. Some of the knives are 30 years old now and have never failed.

The absolute favorite of all my multi tools is one like this. Mine is from 1998 but similar to this one. It is a real knife, a real saw, real pliers, big and heavy but no that bad and it is not brittle. Also, no small wood saw is better than the Swiss ones like the knife you linked and the one on the Wenger is just a bigger version. Those teeth cut. I like having fewer, stronger more effective tools.

MultiTool.org SwissGrip® 16954 Wenger Swiss Army Knife

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I carried a "Swiss Army Knife" for years as a military and civilian helo pilot. Unlike other posters in this thread, I HAVE had a Swiss Army Knife fail in the field. I've tried lots of other pocket tools, but I currently have mostly Leatherman products. I broke the first Leatherman pocket tool I ever owned and, unlike Wenger, Leatherman replaced it. My EDCs are a Leatherman Surge and for "dress up", a Leatherman Wave. I also have various Leatherman pocket tools in each of my survival kits.

Personally, in a survival situation, I don't think a person can have "too many" knives. I would want a sturdy pocket tool, a small or medium folding knife, and a medium-to-large fixed blade knife for long-term survival. I've got both a Becker BK-2 and a Cold Steel Kukhri tucked away in various BOBs and in my vehicles to deal with emergency situations.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I don't know about Wenger, but I broke the tip off of the small screwdriver on my Victorinox Swiss Tool, and they replaced the whole tool no questions asked.

JAFO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 16, 2012
    Basic leatherman for me... funny how I've always managed to do whatever chore was on hand with whatever I had.. seems you'll figure it out, if it really needs to be done

diablo750

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Middletown
    Surge

The leatherman surge seems like a good choice. I was wondering, do they make other blade for the interchangable saw? Id like to have one for cutting metal.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I carried a "Swiss Army Knife" for years as a military and civilian helo pilot. Unlike other posters in this thread, I HAVE had a Swiss Army Knife fail in the field. I've tried lots of other pocket tools, but I currently have mostly Leatherman products. I broke the first Leatherman pocket tool I ever owned and, unlike Wenger, Leatherman replaced it. My EDCs are a Leatherman Surge and for "dress up", a Leatherman Wave. I also have various Leatherman pocket tools in each of my survival kits.

Personally, in a survival situation, I don't think a person can have "too many" knives. I would want a sturdy pocket tool, a small or medium folding knife, and a medium-to-large fixed blade knife for long-term survival. I've got both a Becker BK-2 and a Cold Steel Kukhri tucked away in various BOBs and in my vehicles to deal with emergency situations.

I second this. My EDC is a spyderco folder and the BOB has a BK2, Multi-tool, and lower quality folder.

Top Bottom