• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I have two questions. I have alway kept a pocket knife handy, usually a small Gerber Paraframe. But I realize that in a survival situation, though much better than nothing, it leaves alot to be desired.
    My first question: If you were going to supply every family member (say 4-6 people) with the same type of knife for survival, what kind of knife would it be? I'm guessing a fixed blade would be best, but what length of blade, type of blade, etc.?
    Second question, if you could have three types of knives/blades total for the entire family (one of each), what would they be? (i.e. small fixed blade, hatchet, machete)
    As always, links and/or pics would be appreciated.
    TIA

OneShotFOGE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I love the Kabar. Theyre about $65 or so and are pretty solid. I think a fixed blade can do everything you need as far as knives go. Maybe throw in a hatchet, axe, and machete to share among the family. Everyone probably needs their own knife, but you can share those.

I'll let someone else cover the folders. Im not that knowledgeable with them, as I buy some cheaper stuff to beat up. I will plug the CRKT M16 though. Great knife!

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    One word: Morakniv

I like stainless for survival purposes. At < $15 each they are a phenomenal buy. Sharpest knives I have ever seen right out of the box. I have, quite literally, shaved my face with one of these as an experiment, and while it doesn't do as good a job as real razor, it does the job. The edge is durable, too. For the price, you won't find anything else remotely close to this quality.

They're so inexpensive that I have them everywhere - my truck, wife's car, the bike, the BOB, bedside table, garage, my hunting backpack (in blaze orange, no less), camping kit. I build little survival kits for my (adult) kids' cars and always include one of these as well. For $15 I just add one to an Amazon cart occasionally when I'm buying something else.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    As for other bladed things, if we're limited to three I would not go with a hatchet. Instead, I would choose a boy's axe and a good machete. Everybody gets their own knife. A boy's axe, or chopping axe (like this) is small enough to pack but big enough to do realistic work. Plus, it would make a serviceable impromptu weapon. Machete is for clearing and light stuff.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    I've had to deal with this exact issue. I've been using Busse for close to 20 years now. While I would love to out fit everybody with a small, medium and large Busse that just isn't going to happen. What I have done is get a medium size Scrapyard for 4 and I have Busse for the other 2. I fit the knives to the users. Just wait until you get to guns for everybody and you'll really go crazy. :laugh:

Bob

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I agree what is your budget. there are a ton of great knives out there in all price ranges. I love me some mora's and the Mora is a great little knife but they are definitely not a survival knife imo. for bushcraft, carving, food prep ect they work well and they weigh nothing so as a back up in your bob or car definitely isn't a bad idea at all.

for a true survival knife I would definitely want something full tang and quality. However that is going to cost you more money too. pricing from least expensive to most here are a few brands I would look at.

Becker- very reasonably priced. solid warranty and steel comes with sheaths but not the best. - Knife lady on the forums here stocks these.

Esee- great knives. one of the best warranties in the business, 1095 w/ a good heat treat. come with solid sheaths.-- Knife lady also stocks these

Bark river knives- can get them in basically any steel 3v, s35vn, ect, come with nice sheaths, good warranty and tons of models.

Swamp Rat- great steel, one of the best warranties in the business, most don't come with sheaths though. stupid tough knives.
    Scrap yard knives- same as above

Busse Knives- INFI steel which I love, one of the best warranties in the business, no sheath though, tons of models ect.

custom Knives- any maker, any material, can get exactly what you want how you want it.

Me personally I would take a Busse with me. I love infi steel and have beat them so much they just take it and come back for more. stupid tough, hold a great edge and are very easy to sharpen.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Thanks for all of the quick responses. As for budget, there isn't one, but I want "survival" qualities and not "collector" qualities. If I could find a good survival knife for under $100, I would be happy.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Condor makes some quality stuff too for the price. Some of the stuff I have gotten needs the blades touched up, but the materials in there are good.

Something to consider...
    What about a Tomahawk
    Large Fixed Blade Knife
    Small Fixed Blade or Folder Knife?

A Tomahawk is no axe, that is for sure, but they are light and can do some good chopping. A large knife could do some chopping. Both the tomahawk and large knife could be weapons as well. The smaller knife can be more for food prep and smaller detailed stuff. This set would kind of be the same as a machete, large fixed blade knife, and small knife.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I agree with the poster above, for me Kabar was the way to go. They have about every style knife you can think of, good quality, good price point. I own several of the ZK series, as well as USMC's and folders, all are great knives and I. Know they will last me forever.
    If you go Kabar keep an eye on ending soon auctions on ebay. I have gotten several warthog folders for less than $5 including shipping. Can also find USMC's for 40ish if you keep a close watch.

Edit: my favorite machete I actually got at strawtown flea market for $5. I have chopped limbs, stuck it in the ground, left it outside in the rain and snow, I have beat this thing up for 5 years now and it ain't pretty but still sharp. For a $5 throw away with a sheath it was as great deal. Made in Brazil I think.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I've had to deal with this exact issue. I've been using Busse for close to 20 years now. While I would love to out fit everybody with a small, medium and large Busse that just isn't going to happen. What I have done is get a medium size Scrapyard for 4 and I have Busse for the other 2. I fit the knives to the users. Just wait until you get to guns for everybody and you'll really go crazy :laugh:

Bob
    Already been there and back! I'm broadening my horizons, I just hope they aren't as addictive as guns.

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    I don't feel that there is really a survival use for a thin-bladed machete in our area. We're mostly an urban/suburban setting and I would much rather have a stout prying/batoning/chopping tool. Becker TacTool, Ontario SP8 or similar.

A Gerber Basic is my EDC.
    Gerber Prodigy and Ontario SPEC-PLUS are the other main knives here.
    I have been using a Cold Steel GI Tanto this year that has so far not let me down.

I sold all of my folders, I'm done spending money on them. There are too many good small fixed blades (that don't get flipped out of my pocket and lost).

Khazik

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I dont think 1 knife could do all the "jobs" you'd have for it, I just cant see using my skinning knife to widdle some wood or hack a branch off for my shelter...

That said, I have a Benchmade folder that I got years ago in the Corps, great knife, does work when work needs done. I got a Buck knife for skinning, and a Ka-Bar Kukri (I'd recommend looking at this one). The design of the Kukri makes it by far the most utilitarian and versatile blade I have; and ya, it'll hack a thick branch or sapling with ease.

If you need 1 "standard" blade. You'd probably wanna invest in a full tang fixed blade with some decent steel. IMO, I'd diversify based on strengths of the user/s, and a folder as a "standard" pocket knife for the on-hand blade.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Thanks again for all of the comments. What I'm hearing is that there are several good knife makers with lots of good choices, but no clear "best bet". The reason I wanted a single choice was to get a handful of them and just put them into storage with fire starters, batteries, etc until needed. I know there is value in diversity, but I also believe there is a certain value to redundancy and familiarity (the same reason I don't have M&Ps, XDs, Sigs to go along with my Glocks). I know what to expect no matter what I pick up. Maybe I should rethink the situation and buy 4-6 different types of knives...hmmm...
    How many of you find serrations on the blade useful?

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Stop by the Busse table or Bradsknives table at the indy 1500 the end of August and you'll be able to handle a wide variety of steel to make an informed decsion. I'll be at the Busse table so stop by.
    BTW, I hate serration unless I'm cutting a bunch of rope
    Bob

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Stop by the Busse table or Bradsknives table at the indy 1500 the end of August and you'll be able to handle a wide variety of steel to make an informed decsion. I'll be at the Busse table so stop by.
    BTW, I hate serration unless I'm cutting a bunch of rope
    Bob

This! Stop by and see Brad and Sheila (Brads knives and Knife Lady) they also do a lot of other local shows. Also you would be supporting an INGO site advertiser! They have a huge selection of knives and best prices. Customer service and product knowledge is top notch!

Top Bottom