KNIVES I THINK ARE COOL (but not a lot of other people have or know about)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Isn't Brian Griffin the dog on Family Guy?

Huh. Rhino stole a dog's knife. That's dirty, man, just dirty.

Hey, he wasn't using it!

I was confused by that too! :scratch:

I also don't know what knives other people have in their collection. :dunno:

Maybe the Douk Douk knife, a traditional French slip joint design (Cold Steel made a copy of it).

Quite a slim design, here on top of an Opinel knife:

It's similar to the Japanese Higonokami (bellow), also maybe not very famous but really cool history and design.

The Douk Douk is interesting because of its design. Making a frame/handle with a single sheet of metal folder over is a brilliant way to make an inexpensive, sturdy working knife.

Aren't they very common in parts of the African continent?

Speaking of draditional French design of course you have the Opinel and Laguiole.

Laguiole, traditional sheperd's knife.

The Laguiole now became a luxury knife.
    Each maker has a unique pattern handcrafted on the spine of the knife.
    They use fancy woods or horn for the handle, sometimes damascus steel for the blade.

Most of the makers will make you a unique knife, right in front of your eyes, if you walk into their shop.

The Opinel is still going strong all over! One of my favorite knife series of all time were the original Cold Steel TwistMasters. They were a copy of the Opinel design with a fiberglass reinforced nylon handle and a wide, thin, flat ground Carbon V blade. They were superb slicers and work knives, but I think the fact that you couldn't open them with one hand made them not cool enough to sell well.

I have one Laguiole in my collection, which my father brought to me from . . . France! They are a classic, elegant design.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Some Opinel models also come with a corkscrew.I think it's required by law.

7741_1024x1024.jpg

They also make a "safety model", known as the Le Rhino, with a rounded tip for people who tend to stab themselves by accident.

mon-premier-opinel-bout-rond.jpg

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I think the fact that you couldn't open them with one hand made them not cool enough to sell well.

It makes them popular in some parts of Europe where the law requires that you can't open them with one hand.:rolleyes:
    But you can lock them open so they might be illegal in the UK still.
    Not like the Swiss Army knives that you can't open with one hand (most models) and can't lock open (most models).

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I really, really want this to be true.

Any cool knife shop I should visit in Paris?

Sadly it's not.It's known as "my first knife", it's for kids who can't be trusted with a pointy knife.
    Maybe Rhino needs one though.

We have many big knife shops over here, same way you have gun shops in the states.
    Most gun shops also have a large knife collection.

I'm not too familiar with the shops in Paris.
    I know just a major one called Armes Bastille (gun store, knives, tactical gear etc).

https://www.facebook.com/Armes-Bastille-162834597083240/

Armes-Bastille-162834597083240

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    My Benchmade 180 Outbounder. I've not seen another one in the wilds yet, and it's one of my favorites.

YD7ipwP.jpg

Original box, original sheath, and a kydex sheath I had made so I can use it as a skean dubh. It works really well for that.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    A Rhino Custom Knife?

youtube result
    [video=youtube;9RGxTE96IE0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RGxTE96IE0[/video]

Does he wear all them rings and things to protect from cuts?

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Although I don't own any I am obsessed with the design of Extrema Ratio knives. They to me have the look of a high-tech 80's spy movie knife or something. Kinda like an HK USP has that same appeal.

Also Bawidamann knives. They are more an ultra modern look and feel. Love the three I have.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Although I don't own any I am obsessed with the design of Extrema Ratio knives. They to me have the look of a high-tech 80's spy movie knife or something. Kinda like an HK USP has that same appeal.

Also Bawidamann knives. They are more an ultra modern look and feel. Love the three I have.

I follow a knife maker on FB that has a Bawidamann Huginn. Oh man oh man oh man oh MAN. Want. Muchly.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I follow a knife maker on FB that has a Bawidamann Huginn. Oh man oh man oh man oh MAN. Want. Muchly.

AWE MAN! The Huginn had me drooling but couldn't swing it on the date the pre-order went live. Now they have production model slicer grinds available on their website. But I want the dagger grind and am patiently waiting for them to release the production run.

I have a Pogn drop point that I EDC, also a Rogue and a Stark. Probably my three favorite knives knives right now. And all three came scary sharp.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    AWE MAN! The Huginn had me drooling but couldn't swing it on the date the pre-order went live. Now they have production model slicer grinds available on their website. But I want the dagger grind and am patiently waiting for them to release the production run.

I have a Pogn drop point that I EDC, also a Rogue and a Stark. Probably my three favorite knives knives right now. And all three came scary sharp.

If I spent the $325 on the Huginn slicer - I firmly believe that I'd probably wake up with it impaled in my chest. *sigh*

Top Bottom