• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CharlesGoodnight

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    Anyone hike this trail recently? I am thinking about hiking in the spring (thru hike) so assume water is plentiful that time of year? I would use a standard Sawyer filter. I would rather not do water drops if I can help it.

How about bugs on this trail during spring? I'll have some spray but assume colder nights might keep them at bay?

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    It's been my experience that the ticks are especially viscous early in the spring. Permethrin will be your best friend. Even the skeeters might be bad unless the temps are close to freezing at night.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I was planning a thru-hike of the Knobstone last October, but decided to do another trail due to a forecast of bad weather related to one of the hurricanes from the gulf. I didn't want to be 50 miles from my truck with the possibility of strong winds and rain, so diverted to the Deam Wilderness and spent three days there.

It's my plan to do the Knobstone this spring, starting at the south end and going north. As johntheplinker said, I've run into more ticks in the spring in Indiana than any other time. I spray my pants with permethrin a week or so before a trip and then tuck them into my socks.

Also, I had mapped out several water-cache spots, since it was really dry in October, and I suspect water may be a problem on parts of the trail year-round, since you're on the tops of ridges. I had gotten some maps and other good info from KnobstoneHikingTrail.org, and I'd recommend it for anyone interested in doing a thru-hike. I've heard that there are several spots where it's easy to lose the trail, with other trails crossing it here and there.

I've heard it's a butt-kicker of a trail, and I'm anxious to see how long it takes me to do the 50 or-so miles.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    My wife and I are planning to do the entire trail via section hikes. It's just too much trouble for us to do it all in one shot due to responsibilities at home. We already did the same thing with the Tecumseh Trail in 2019. The only aggravation is having to drive two vehicles. We normally do most of our hiking during the fall and winter months (we hate chiggers!), but this winter has just been too horrible.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    They don’t call it the Little AT for nothing. You might only go up and down 200’ but you’ll do it all day long.
    As far as water drops and 2 cars, we hired a ride to take us from our parked car, drop water, and take us to the south end.
    We went in September and needed the water (1 drop) but you might get by without it in the spring.

whiskey6gun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Lots of good info on the Hoosiers Hikers / Backpackers Facebook group.

I’m wanting to give this a go also, but concerned with the water aspect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    As far as water drops and 2 cars, we hired a ride to take us from our parked car, drop water, and take us to the south end.
    Yeah, I knew that there was at least one woman offering shuttles on the KT. Our problem is that we have to hire someone to come in and take care of our cats anytime we're gone for anything longer than an overnight. We do that once or twice a year to hike the Smokies, but never have for in-state hikes. I've got some fairly light gear (including a Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2 tent), but it's just so much nicer to bust out a long day hike fast and light on the feet. We did the 12 mile or so Delaney/Spurgeon loop at the north end of the KT in just under four hours. I felt that was pretty respectable for a couple in their 50's. LOL!

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Yeah, I knew that there was at least one woman offering shuttles on the KT. Our problem is that we have to hire someone to come in and take care of our cats anytime we're gone for anything longer than an overnight. We do that once or twice a year to hike the Smokies, but never have for in-state hikes. I've got some fairly light gear (including a Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2 tent), but it's just so much nicer to bust out a long day hike fast and light on the feet. We did the 12 mile or so Delaney/Spurgeon loop at the north end of the KT in just under four hours. I felt that was pretty respectable for a couple in their 50's. LOL!
    We have two small elderly dogs that my wife is certain would wither and die if we ever put them in a boarding kennel. She enjoys day-hikes, but she's not as into a multi-day 30-plus mile hike. So, she's fine to stay home with the dogs. My son got me into backpacking, with a hike of the Two Lakes Loop near Tell City in 2017. On that hike, fat and out of shape, I barely made the 10 miles to camp the first night. After lots of miles walking, and losing 40lbs, the miles come a lot easier. We did 45 in two days last summer. I went on my first solo hike last fall and I really like that (although I'd never turn down a chance to hike with my wife or kids). Really looking forward to getting back out there this spring.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    My son got me into backpacking, with a hike of the Two Lakes Loop near Tell City in 2017. On that hike, fat and out of shape, I barely made the 10 miles to camp the first night.
    I hiked in and camped overnight very near the dam of Celina Lake in 2018, but didn't hike the loop. I'll definitely be going back for that, but I'll be sure to time it when ticks and chiggers aren't bad. The reviews I've read of that loop say it is very tick infested.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    We've done the Two Lakes Loop twice, in September and in November. Both times, we started at the boat ramp and went counter-clockwise. There are several good camp sites along the West side of Indian Lake, but we camped at a really nice site just east of the Indian Lake dam. You may not see the site from the trail, but as you get back into the woods after crossing the dam, you'll see a jumble of big boulders on your left as the elevation rises. The camp site is between the boulders and the trail. We didn't see a ton of ticks when we hiked it, maybe because it was Fall. Funny thing, that first trip in September 2017, I only had a tarp shelter with a ground sheet, foam pad and sleeping bag. It was hot so I slept on top of my bag and I still remember feeling ants and other bugs crawling on me but I was so tired I just lay there and fell asleep.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    We've done the Two Lakes Loop twice, in September and in November. Both times, we started at the boat ramp and went counter-clockwise. There are several good camp sites along the West side of Indian Lake, but we camped at a really nice site just east of the Indian Lake dam. You may not see the site from the trail, but as you get back into the woods after crossing the dam, you'll see a jumble of big boulders on your left as the elevation rises. The camp site is between the boulders and the trail. We didn't see a ton of ticks when we hiked it, maybe because it was Fall. Funny thing, that first trip in September 2017, I only had a tarp shelter with a ground sheet, foam pad and sleeping bag. It was hot so I slept on top of my bag and I still remember feeling ants and other bugs crawling on me but I was so tired I just lay there and fell asleep.
    Sorry but seeing "Indian Lake" reminded me of this... :): I'm assuming you weren't wearing a sportcoat and ascot.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I hiked in and camped overnight very near the dam of Celina Lake in 2018, but didn't hike the loop. I'll definitely be going back for that, but I'll be sure to time it when ticks and chiggers aren't bad. The reviews I've read of that loop say it is very tick infested.
    Yeah, this whole area is loaded with the little bastiges. They're so bad that Indiucky on here refers to his place near St. Croix as a tick ranch. And to make things even better, the last couple of years we've been getting more Lone Star ticks than any other.

LostHoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2016
    Noblesville
    Posting to follow thread. My brother and I want to hike KT and maybe train for AT. Live north of Indy so not a lot of great trails like that up here unless someone has tips

Top Bottom