• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    My father-in-law called me this afternoon asking me about his deck project. After awhile, we both finally figured out I had no clue what he was talking about. Apparently my wife forgot to mention it to me.

My f-i-l just turned 69 and my m-i-l is 64. To hear him tell it, they're hours away from their death beds. He's wanting to build a deck on the back of his house for a wheel chair ramp. They both get around just fine. I asked him how soon he needed it done and he said as soon as possible. He's had 3 estimates for sidewalk replacement and needs the deck done so they know where to go with the sidewalk. It's October 1st so I don't know if he's thinking they'll pour sidewalks in the snow or what.

Here's the problem with doing these types of projects for him. He's cheap. He's cheap. He's cheap. Oh, did I mention he's cheap? There's currently an 8x8 concrete porch off of his back door and he wants his finished deck height 4" higher and he wants to add 2' in 1 direction. His plan is to lay three 4x4's on top of the 8x8 porch and put deck boards on top of them. I don't know if 4" is to the bottom of the door or if there's any more room to play with. A 3 1/2" tall board with 5/4" decking is taller than 4".

I told him that I'd use composite decking over treated as it will last and stay nice a lot longer but he said that stuff's expensive. I'm not sure he's ever walked on treated decking with a nice dusting of snow.

IMO, to be done right, the porch needs torn out and put in six 4x4 posts with 2x10 joists and girders. Instead, it's going to look like a hillbilly built it. I told my wife my budget will probably be $20, a pack of gum, a shoe string and some duct tape.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I know what you mean as far as being cursed. Somehow (ANd I dont know how) I have picked up an all around handyman (cars, houses, etc.)... My parents, and other family members call me at the strangest times to see if I can fix their car (and they usually want it done the day before tehy call me)...

Sucks.

I spit milk all over my keyboard over what your estimated budget is...

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Try working in IT :rolleyes:

Yes, I am a geek. No, I will not fix your computer!

My brother-in-law (an appliance repairman) and I are the family "fix-it" men. If it is broken, one of us gets the call first. I've stopped performing miracles, since I just don't have the time like I used to.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Try working in IT :rolleyes:

Yes, I am a geek. No, I will not fix your computer!

My brother-in-law (an appliance repairman) and I are the family "fix-it" men. If it is broken, one of us gets the call first. I've stopped performing miracles, since I just don't have the time like I used to.

I work with computers, more of the simple fixes (I hate computers). I also used to deliver appliances, and own a truck. I swear I get the first call for everything.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I work with computers, more of the simple fixes (I hate computers). I also used to deliver appliances, and own a truck. I swear I get the first call for everything.

Trucks are a curse. When you buy a truck, there is some fine print that says you have instantly become a moving company for anyone you have ever met!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    A guy tried to get me to fix his VCR circuit board a few years ago.
    Entire board was cracked. The board is the entire top of VCR.
    I told him I COULD fix it. But I won't. Would take a week.
    If it was the LAST ONE, sure. Go pay $60 for a new one.
    I got a earful about how I was lazy.
    There were a hundred broken ckt runs. Damaged components. Board would have to be strengthened.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I just dont do it anymore. Its not worth the headaches. Every now and then I will find someone in deep doo doo and can tell they actually need someone to extend a hand and help them out of a mess. (Think single mother with 2 kids that has a broken car and no other transportation).........Her and I have lived together now for over 3yrs and have a son together now. ;)

See what I got myself into ! :dunno:

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Yeah, add a trailer to your collection and see what happens.:(

Also have an older car hauler from the 70's single axle though. Still get that call quite a bit.

Funny when you ask for help with a project how fast the other people always run.

BURNSURVIVOR725

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Vincennes
    Hey! youre a car guy right?

yeah

you like working on cars right?

yeah

will you work on my car?

no, i like working on MY car. not yours.

now i will do stuff for my broke friends here at vu or kids that are down on their luck. i work for beer or home cooked meals though.

Top Bottom