• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grassman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    N CENTRAL IN
    Kosciusko County Sheriff's Department processed 21 gun permits Friday, an all-time one-day record for the department.The department processed 17 the day before. On top of the walk-in applicants, the department is receiving many more calls with questions about the gun permit application process.

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    We have gun permits in Indiana? I'll have to look into that. How does it compare to my license to carry?

Someone was going to say it. :dunno:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    IN has personal protection licenses and hunt/target licenses. I believe carry permits simply allow you to have the firearm on your person, loaded

They are screwing with your head.

There is no such thing as a gun "permit" in the state of Indiana. We have a "license" not a "permit" and some folks here like to cause grief over the terms.

Also, our state does NOT require the gun to be concealed, so we do not get "concealed carry" licenses/permits. We are issued a "License to Carry a Handgun" or LTCH. Our state recognizes both OPEN CARRY and CONCEALED CARRY as legitimate. Some local departments will frown upon Open Carry, but I've never had an issue, while others have had problems. In any case, if you document a problem with OC you can win a lawsuit.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    They are screwing with your head.

There is no such thing as a gun "permit" in the state of Indiana. We have a "license" not a "permit" and some folks here like to cause grief over the terms.

Also, our state does NOT require the gun to be concealed, so we do not get "concealed carry" licenses/permits. We are issued a "License to Carry a Handgun" or LTCH. Our state recognizes both OPEN CARRY and CONCEALED CARRY as legitimate. Some local departments will frown upon Open Carry, but I've never had an issue, while others have had problems. In any case, if you document a problem with OC you can win a lawsuit.

as long as you dont talk about it on ingo, in which case the city/county/state will bring up your ingo post along with others documenting how you were just trolling for lawsuit...

some purple implied there, but only a lil.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    as long as you dont talk about it on ingo, in which case the city/county/state will bring up your ingo post along with others documenting how you were just trolling for lawsuit...

some purple implied there, but only a lil.

Well it is possible to destroy your own lawsuit if you are a yappy idiot, so your advice is well noted.

My point was more that our state allows for OC and CC.

Some folks do troll for trouble, find it, and then chat about it while trying to sue the department that gave them grief. Not a particularly good idea.

Me, I have open carried on and off over the years. Walked past police officers without them blinking, been inside Starbucks, the grocery store, the bank, the super market and many other stores without so much as an odd look from a clerk or other patron. Simply have never had an issue with it.

Just trying to set the terminology straight for the newbies.

OC, CC both allowed.
    Permit, no. License, yes.

All41AJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    The license states that the license type is a "...Personal Protection", but the title on the actual card states "License to Carry Handgun". Right on melensdad : )

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    The license states that the license type is a "...Personal Protection", but the title on the actual card states "License to Carry Handgun"

Correct, but earlier in the thread it was referred to as a 'carry permit' not a license.
    IN has personal protection licenses and hunt/target licenses. I believe carry permits simply allow you to have the firearm on your person, loaded
    I think the state issues several variations of the license. Back in the old days (I got my first one before most people on INGO were born) we had a target license (to take your gun to a range) and an unlimited license (for personal protection). Both were 4 year licenses.

Now we probably have both of those, but have them either as 4 year or Lifetime. Not sure if there are others.

All41AJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Correct, but earlier in the thread it was referred to as a 'carry permit' not a license.
    I think the state issues several variations of the license. Back in the old days (I got my first one before most people on INGO were born) we had a target license (to take your gun to a range) and an unlimited license (for personal protection). Both were 4 year licenses.

Now we probably have both of those, but have them either as 4 year or Lifetime. Not sure if there are others.

Here are the different options on the application:
    Type of Handgun License
    4 Yr Hunt/Target $5 State Fee/$10 Local Agency Fee
    4 Yr Pers Protect $30 State Fee/$10 Local Agency Fee
    Dealer's Personal Protection Permit - Fee Exempt
    Life Hunt/Target no Current Lic $25 State/$50 Local Fee
    Life Hunt/Target w/ Current Lic $20 State/$40 Local Fee
    Life Pers Protect no Current License $75 State/$50 Local
    Life Pers Protect w/ Current License $60 State/$40 Local
    Retired Corrections Officer - Fee Exempt
    Retired Police Officer - Fee Exempt

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012

We do have both, but the target license is useless now that you are no longer required to have it to transport a handgun.

@OP: I meant no harm. It's all in good fun.

Top Bottom