• ...and so much more!
  • Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    February 2015? Wholly carp, those petroleum based cheese-like substances take a long time to become (blatantly) harmful. I guess, if they haven't actually gone bad already, what's the problem with eating them? I mean, if you eat stuff like that anyway...

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    A little bit of American really helps to emulsify a cheese sauce. In my mac and cheese I use about 90% cheddar and 10% American.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Gawd I hate cheddar. If there's indeed actual cheese in that stuff, it's just as well that nasty crap. Give me some St Agur, Cambozola, Gjetost, Stilton, heck, even some Lorraine. Cheddar need not apply.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Cheddar's OK. You just have to get a good one, not the plain stuff that most American manufacturers make (Kraft included). Some of the aged cheddars are fantastic and a good sharp cheddar can't be beat. Ireland produces a number of really good cheddars, as does the UK. There are a few American artisanal cheese makers who do up a nice cheddar, too. Black Diamond makes a mass produced 4 year old cheddar that goes really well with baked chicken. Find a good one and you might be surprised.

As for Kraft American Single. They're made with real cheddar, (other brands may be made from veg oils, but not Kraft).
    Product and Nutrition Information - Kraft Recipes
    Ingredients: CHEDDAR CHEESE (MILK, CHEESE CULTURE, SALT, ENZYMES), WHEY, MILK, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, MILKFAT, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, SODIUM CITRATE, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, SALT, LACTIC ACID, ANNATTO AND PAPRIKA EXTRACT (COLOR), NATAMYCIN (A NATURAL MOLD INHIBITOR), ENZYMES, CHEESE CULTURE, VITAMIN D3.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    A little bit of American really helps to emulsify a cheese sauce. In my mac and cheese I use about 90% cheddar and 10% American.

Melting cheddar is savagery. Cheddar does not melt well. The oils quickly render out of it and one is left with a tough shell of plasticized former-cheese and a huge puddle of oils. This is savagery of the highest degree, of the worst kind, of the greatest order.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Best grilled cheese is a slice of moz and a slice of prov on some nice bread grilled with real butter. I may look into some of the good cheddars, though I'm not expecting much, as much as I've hated what I've had.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Melting cheddar is savagery. Cheddar does not melt well. The oils quickly render out of it and one is left with a tough shell of plasticized former-cheese and a huge puddle of oils. This is savagery of the highest degree, of the worst kind, of the greatest order.

With a roux and heavy cream, even the driest cheddar will emulsify into a beautiful cheese sauce. Mmmm... mac & cheese made with a good extra sharp cheddar... :drool:

Top Bottom