• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This threads is going exactly where I expected it too - AND I LIKE IT!
    A little bit of American really helps to emulsify a cheese sauce. In my mac and cheese I use about 90% cheddar and 10% American.
    Ditto. But I go with Land O'Lakes America. I'm a bit of a Mac and Cheese connoisseur - I'm seraching for the perfect recipe, but I don't really want to find it. Half the fun is grabbing cheeses and seeing how it works.

And yes, I make a beschamel for it - your choice of cheese is less important than how your cook with it.

Cheddar's OK. You just have to get a good one, not the plain stuff that most American manufacturers make (Kraft included). Some of the aged cheddars are fantastic and a good sharp cheddar can't be beat. Ireland produces a number of really good cheddars, as does the UK. There are a few American artisanal cheese makers who do up a nice cheddar, too. Black Diamond makes a mass produced 4 year old cheddar that goes really well with baked chicken. Find a good one and you might be surprised.
    Ironically, there's only one (or zero?) Cheddar cheese makers in the region of Cheddar, I believe. So, some of the best Cheddar is American, and (gulp) from upstate New York.

Best grilled cheese is a slice of moz and a slice of prov on some nice bread grilled with real butter. I may look into some of the good cheddars, though I'm not expecting much, as much as I've hated what I've had.
    Myself, I prefer a young Gouda and Havarti. Never been a fan of Cheddar in grilled cheese.

Since we're on a cheese kick, I found a source for Brick cheese smeared with Limburger cultures.... it reeks :puke: ...and I love it.:wwub:

Oh, anyone here MAKE there own cheese? So far I've only made Mozzarella.

Top Bottom