• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    thanks to all! I didn't go with the lifetime simply for the money end of it. i had let my license expire so i had to start fresh. a lifetime cost more without a current permit. i took a gamble and figured i will get the lifetime when its cheaper in four years. mitch will still be in office so noone is gonna change the lifetime permit process. honestly though, after i left the local police station, i kicked myself for not getting the lifetime. i only have 3 years and 362 more days!

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    the thing i advise is, dont forget when it expires. if 4 1/2 years from now you get cought carrying your gun still thinking your license is good, its a felony. its easy to do and it happened to a friend of mine but he got let off.

thats the biggest reason i got the lifetime. so i wouldnt have worry when it expires and so i wouldnt have to go through the hassle twice b/c by me, you basically have to take a day off of work to get it done.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Right, it will be cheaper in 4 years. But when you ADD the cost that you just paid for your 4 years. It'll be more expensive than just getting your Lifetime to begin with. Not to mention, they could arguably cease the Liftime permit in that timeframe as this is currently the only state that has one, I don't think it's all that much of a stretch.

Lifetime $125
    4 year $40 + Lifetime with current permit $100 = $140
    $140>$125

Cheaper to just do it now.

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    thanks to all! I didn't go with the lifetime simply for the money end of it. i had let my license expire so i had to start fresh. a lifetime cost more without a current permit.

A whole $25.00.

i took a gamble and figured i will get the lifetime when its cheaper in four years. mitch will still be in office

Wrong. His term is for 4 years at a time, limited to two terms, IIRC, and he's in the 2nd year of his 2nd term. It's very possible that current- Lt. Gov. Becky Skillman will be elected governor, which would be good from our perspective, but it's nothing you can count on. Very risky move, based on faulty information.

so noone is gonna change the lifetime permit process.

Also nothing to count on. We presently have in the seat of Speaker of the House an anti-freedom, anti-rights SOB who would love nothing better than to destroy the possibility of peons like us from being armed. Get the same thing in the State Senate and we'll start getting bills passed to make that happen from one House to another. A governor cut of that same cloth would be disasterous for us.

honestly though, after i left the local police station, i kicked myself for not getting the lifetime. i only have 3 years and 362 more days!

You have another option as well, though I don't know if it's one you want to take: You can return your LTCH so you are without it at present. As fast as they're getting them back to us now, that would allow you to apply for a new, Lifetime LTCH sooner than the four years, as you would not be renewing.

OK... I know it looks like I'm kicking you when you're down here. That's not it, though. What I'm trying to do is make the errors obvious so someone else doesn't make the same ones. Yeah, you did some things other than as I would have (probably other than quite a few of us would have), but turning it into a learning experience for other readers might be a way to make something good come of it.

I also have just a little room to talk here because out of my own ignorance, I applied for my LTCH almost four years ago. I was told by my local sheriff's office that as soon as I had it and the Lifetime LTCH was law, I could renew it and upgrade to the Lifetime. For the same reasons you did what you did, I chose to do that, rather than wait a couple of months and pay the higher fee. If I'd been smart, I'd have gone and read the actual law at the time, rather than trust what "someone" (anyone) told me was "the way things are". Had I done that, I'd have known about the 180 days provision. I'd have known that 25 bucks difference is nothing. I'd have known that I wasn't working on good information. Garbage In, Garbage Out, as they say in IT.

So... what are you going to do? Only you can decide that. When I realized the truth, the delay was so long, it was not worth it to me to wait months. With the time down to weeks, it may be more worth it to you now.

Good luck with your decision.

Blessings,
    Bill

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    A whole $25.00.

Wrong. His term is for 4 years at a time, limited to two terms, IIRC, and he's in the 2nd year of his 2nd term. It's very possible that current- Lt. Gov. Becky Skillman will be elected governor, which would be good from our perspective, but it's nothing you can count on. Very risky move, based on faulty information.

Also nothing to count on. We presently have in the seat of Speaker of the House an anti-freedom, anti-rights SOB who would love nothing better than to destroy the possibility of peons like us from being armed. Get the same thing in the State Senate and we'll start getting bills passed to make that happen from one House to another. A governor cut of that same cloth would be disasterous for us.

You have another option as well, though I don't know if it's one you want to take: You can return your LTCH so you are without it at present. As fast as they're getting them back to us now, that would allow you to apply for a new, Lifetime LTCH sooner than the four years, as you would not be renewing.

OK... I know it looks like I'm kicking you when you're down here. That's not it, though. What I'm trying to do is make the errors obvious so someone else doesn't make the same ones. Yeah, you did some things other than as I would have (probably other than quite a few of us would have), but turning it into a learning experience for other readers might be a way to make something good come of it.

I also have just a little room to talk here because out of my own ignorance, I applied for my LTCH almost four years ago. I was told by my local sheriff's office that as soon as I had it and the Lifetime LTCH was law, I could renew it and upgrade to the Lifetime. For the same reasons you did what you did, I chose to do that, rather than wait a couple of months and pay the higher fee. If I'd been smart, I'd have gone and read the actual law at the time, rather than trust what "someone" (anyone) told me was "the way things are". Had I done that, I'd have known about the 180 days provision. I'd have known that 25 bucks difference is nothing. I'd have known that I wasn't working on good information. Garbage In, Garbage Out, as they say in IT.

So... what are you going to do? Only you can decide that. When I realized the truth, the delay was so long, it was not worth it to me to wait months. With the time down to weeks, it may be more worth it to you now.

Good luck with your decision.

Blessings,
    Bill

thanks bill! i didn't take it hard. i knew i kinda screwed up but i didn't really consider all of the details. i don't know just yet what i will do. but certainly, i hope this helps someone else.

Top Bottom