• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Indianapolis
    About to buy another rifle optic and was really leaning towards EOTech before I started doing some research. Everything you posted reaffirms an Aimpoint over EOTech. The EOTech kinda reminds me of Derrick Rose, great performance when it's maintained right. ;)

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    Everything will break. I've seen Aimpoints break. They are tough tho. I had one with a crack in the back glass and it didn't even develop condensation with the weather change. I've also seen Acogs break and need to be sent in for warranty. Luckily the trijicon warranty was still valid and a painless process overall. I currently use a Vortex viper 1-4x. I've had issues with it cutting in and out (illumination issue). I think it's due to the battery door getting loose somehow. Anyways my point is that everything breaks. Run whatever floats your boat. The EO Techs have a pretty awesome reticle, so if you like that then go for it. as for battery life, most people I know that actually use their rifle as a weapon always keep them fresh and have spares. Elcans are nice but pricey and I don't care for the large size. My vote goes to Trijicon above the mentioned.

Bearclaw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Anderson
    I have been happy with my EoTech 512. For me it has more to do with the field of view. I'm blind in one eye and to not have to have to look through a tube is very helpful in close quarters or just moving from one target to another. And for the money it was a better choice then the others.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have been happy with my EoTech 512. For me it has more to do with the field of view. I'm blind in one eye and to not have to have to look through a tube is very helpful in close quarters or just moving from one target to another. And for the money it was a better choice then the others.

I'll second this. I like my EOTech, it does what I need it too.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Their product support for the old units is not good. That said, I've got an EXPS 3 that is simply awesome. I've dropped a couple big hogs with it, including one at night with night vision mounted behind the EoTech. It uses 1 CR123 battery and hasn't let me down. It is dead accurate, too, and I've never once had to adjust zero, even after taking it off and putting it back on. (QD)

Maybe the best bargain out there, though, is the Aimpoint Pro, if you get it on sale. Typically, the best sales have it around 365 bucks. That's hard to beat. I much prefer the Eotech's dot, though, like others.

They need to get with the program and back the old product, or at least maintain the ability to fix it.

Btw, Seal Team 6 used an Eotech to take Bin Laden. They seem to like them.

Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    I'll throw my hat in the ring here.

I've had two Eotechs, both 512's within warranty period. The first one I purchased new off the shelf and within a month started showing signs of "delamination" where the laminate on the lenses peels off and doesn't reflect the hologram back at the user, so the reticle would disappear completely when it would approach the edge of the viewing window. I emailed Eotech, they fixed it fast and free, something like a week turnaround time. I got it back and several weeks later it started doing it again.

A year went by and I figured I just got a bum unit and picked up another one, only to have the same thing happen. I switched to an Aimpoint PRO and have used them since then. Similar price point, and I really like that I can leave it on all the time.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Sorry to hear about your experience. I have a 512 that had one of the rubber grommets in the bottom of the battery compartment come off during a battery change and disappeared. They sent me a field repair kit to replace the single grommet with a tougher double grommet and the thing has never failed since. That was my only failure and took 4 days to get the part, free of charge, and only two minutes to fix. I'm a satisfied customer.

That said, I'll probably upgrade to an Aimpoint in a few years when it fully goes kablooey, mainly for the weight and battery life.

Eight

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2014
    Central Indiana
    I looked hard at both the Aimpoint T1/H1 and Eotech Exps2/3. After seeing both in person I recently went with the Eotech (EXPS3). I felt the larger field of view and reticule was worth the battery life trade off. Plus I think they have licked the battery issue with the XPS series by installing it transversely. I will be taking it out tomorrow to zero in. Going to be a fun day!

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    Aimpoints today come with a 2 year warranty. Link: Warranty

Same as EO Tech. Link: Holographic Weapon Sights Warranty Information | EOTech

[h=1]Warranty[/h]

Aimpoint guarantees its products to be free from original manufacturer defects in material and/or workmanship under normal use for a period of 2 years for professional or competition use and 10 years for personal use from the date of purchase.

Personal use shall mean: use of the sight in a way that implies less exposure than professional use.
    Professional or frequent competition use shall mean: daily or highly frequent use of the sight in professional activities (military or law enforcement) or under conditions that could be compared to as professional.

The warranty is valid provided that the sight has not been misused, disassembled or tampered with in any way. Any attempt to disassemble or repair the product will void the warranty.
    The warranty agreement is limited to the original owner and is not transferable.
    Any warranty claim must be accompanied by a copy of the original receipt showing date of purchase.
    Click here to know more about our Repair Policy.

Moorephine

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 1, 2013
    Bloomington
    I have issues with EOTech as well, they were doing a rebate a while back and I sent in all the necessary materials to get the rebate (they required the originals), what I recieved was a small note saying that I hadn't sent in the right paperwork (I had, I triple checked) and that they would still need the originals. Also the due date on the note was before the postmark on the letter, meaning they sent it out after it was already to late for me to send it back. I will not be purchasing from them again.

sly14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Thank you for the information. I was looking at buying one of these. I will have to do some more research.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    My EOTech died on the 300 yard line last weekend @ Atterbury. I popped in a new battery and nada. No display.

EOTech just re-aligned this sight for me too. No charge. Sight was about ~3 years old. I can totally understand not being able to fix a 10 year old sight. Electronics technology changes rapidly. Can you get a IC chip replaced on a 10 year old computer motherboard? I doubt it. Buy a new PC.

I started playing around with it yesterday and that 2nd battery was dead. No idea how old it was because it lived in the storage compartment on my stock. No way it was even close to ten years old. Maybe two at most. I popped in a 3rd battery yesterday, EOTech still didn't come on then noticed I popped it in backwards, turned it around and voila!!! It lit up.

Now I'm looking for that 1st battery to try it again. I'm not sure where I put it. The reticule didn't blink like a low battery should. It just went off. I really want to know if that 1st battery is dead or the sight was stuck in some strange no display mode.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Followup report: I found the 1st battery and inserted into the HWS and it also lit up the reticule. :xmad:

Cable

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    Hop, when your eotech went down at atterbury, i was imagining how bad it could be if you were in the middle of a firefight and the sight just went kaput.

It doesn't inspire confidence where next time it might be more than just a score on the line.

I guess the lesson learned is that any optic can go down at any moment and it should be anticipated.

MBUS ftw.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I have swapped in & out two batteries today at work, dropped it, rolled it down the hallway, let it time out (seems to shut off in ~2.5 hours instead of the advertised 4 hours) and it just keeps working. I'm not sure what to do. I guess I just keep using it and make sure those MBUS are sighted in too.

Top Bottom