• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sapper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2014
    Syracuse
    I'm new to reloading . and I was wondering how much of a difference do you think can be expected between new brass that will be sized, chamfered and deburred. Vs. Once fired brass that has been fired in the gun that I'm reloading for ?? All experince'd opinions are welcome.I'm eager to lmprove in both performance and $.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Good question. COMPLETELY dependent on caliber. Some rifle cases will give you 3-4 loads before they are scrap. Some pistol cartridges, more. Some folks talk about tracking loading 9mm brass 40-45 times. Personally, I'm only loading pistol right now, and I've only had ONE case that had a crack and was tossed. I've probably only loaded any one case 7-8 times personally. I have about 6,000 cases in rotation these days, so I'll likely never find an end.

To say, the round in question is incredibly relevant to answers. But I don't know of any case I wouldn't load once fired sized properly.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    If you are talking about a rifle, the once fired will tend to be more accurate and will only need neck sized and trimmed to length from now on. I am not a rifle or comp shooter, but I believe they usually fire form then load for accuracy from there.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    The ladder test won't show much difference between the brass (new and prepped versus once fired from that gun) assuming it is the same manufacture and lot. It really is an eye-opener with regard to how much leeway there is in charge weight and case volume once you hit one of the sweet spot loads the test is designed to show.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    If it's pistol brass, you can load it many many times, especially 45acp and 38 special.
    if you load at maximums with heavy crimp, the life span can be effected.

Rifle brass is different because the pressures are a lot higher, needs trimmed, and they are usually good for about 3-5 reloads on average.
    depends on the caliber, brass, load, etc...

I reload for fun and making good range/practice ammo, so I'm not pushing the envelope at all.
    if you are new to reloading, just go with proven recipes. Don't try to reinvent the wheel.

Indyfishyak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Indianapolis
    If you are not shooting for groups sub 0.25"s on a f-class comp gun I don't know that it is worth sweating over. I can't tell much of a difference in mixed brass that gives me .4x" groups or brand new cases. Find consistencies in velocities and you will find your biggest bang for your buck.

Top Bottom