• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CS2KS2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    My wife is looking for the best options for on the body CCW. Any suggestions for what works well for the ladies? She is strongly considering purchasing an SW M&P Shield as her primary carry. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Karaboo4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2014
    Crown Point
    I carry the S&W Shield with the extended magazine. I absolutely love it. It easy to hide and very comfortable during day to day activities. I highly recommend it. For shooting, it does has a little bit of a kick, but completely manageable.

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    If at all possible get her to a range where you can rent some and try a variety. My wife was positive she wanted a Shield, until she shot it. If felt great in her hand but she couldn't hit the side of a barn with it. The Springfield XDs didn't feel quite as nice to her but she's FAR more accurate with it.

She's smart if she's looking for on-body options. My wife uses a crossbreed for one pistol and a firearmhostler.com holster for the XDs. Both work well. Make sure not to skimp on the belt. A good stiff belt is at least as important as the holster.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    My wife carries a S&W Shield in a Custom Kydex holster from Self Reliance Outfitters on Emerson Ave. south of Beech Grove. The holster goes IWB but has a belt loop to keep it in place. Very comfortable and easy to conceal.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Please do not give in to the temptation to get a small gun for your ladies. You will be well served with a compact, but only if a duty sized counterpart is available for training. We see time and again, students come through the classes with compacts and subcompacts and they find that the smaller guns are VERY difficult to shoot well. Train with the full size pistol and transfer those skills to your carry option.

ghosst

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2015
    Lapel
    My wife loves my Sig P6, and she has smaller hands. I'm almost afraid to show her the P320 I'm buying next month.;)

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    My girlfriend shoots a glock19 very well. But she can't conceal a glock19 very well. She would like to buy a shield and so tomorrow we will be going out to shoot it a bit more for her to make a final decision after she carries mine a bit this week also to be sure it works. I'll let you know by Friday the verdict. It's more how she will respond to carrying it this week I am curious to see, shooting I know will go well.

CS2KS2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Please do not give in to the temptation to get a small gun for your ladies. You will be well served with a compact, but only if a duty sized counterpart is available for training. We see time and again, students come through the classes with compacts and subcompacts and they find that the smaller guns are VERY difficult to shoot well. Train with the full size pistol and transfer those skills to your carry option.

She does well with my compacts; however, the double stacks are a little to thick to fit comfortably in her hand. She picked up the shield and found it very comfortable. We will be going to the range this weekend to put some rounds downrange before we buy.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My wife likes her Shield, but is starting to consider my P229 9mm. I doubt she'll end up carrying the P229, but I could be wrong. The Shield is so thin its very easy for her to carry.

CS2KS2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    My girlfriend shoots a glock19 very well. But she can't conceal a glock19 very well. She would like to buy a shield and so tomorrow we will be going out to shoot it a bit more for her to make a final decision after she carries mine a bit this week also to be sure it works. I'll let you know by Friday the verdict. It's more how she will respond to carrying it this week I am curious to see, shooting I know will go well.

Thanks Bfish

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Well the range report was good. It's not a Glock 19 as far as shooting it goes but she shot it well enough first time out with it to make me happy. She had been carrying it in a hybrid holster at about 4:30 as well as appendix about 12:00. I think she likes carrying at 4:30 a bit more because she says it's a bit more comfortable but wants to also go after appendix because the gun hides much easier... So we will see but she is going to buy one, even after I made her watch some videos and compare it to the new Glock to see if she may first want to shoot it. So of the many, many other options we've looked at the shield is still winning and I can't knock the shield so I am happy. As long as she carries it on her body that is my only real push.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I happen to prefer revolvers over semi-autos. I tried several small-frame Smiths but found that they were not pleasant or easy to shoot. I decided on a Ruger LCR because it has less recoil and a better trigger than the similar Smiths. I have a .357 LCR and keep it loaded with Hornady .38+P. I carry it in a small suede clip-in IWB holster at about the 2:30 position.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Change of things. Actually just went out and about and while picking up some groceries at the super market the woman looked at me and said well I think I finally found the sweet spot and we should just go with appendix all of the time...

So my lady is/will be when she gets her own stuff carrying a shield appendix! It also seems like I shouldn't have to get on her about having it on her always either, based on how she was dressed tonight I can't see her having an excuse unless dressed in something that doesn't allow a belt.

Top Bottom