• ...and so much more!
  • karintyra1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    Tipton County
    Very interesting threat indeed.
    I carried in my purse - around the holidays I decided that was NOT the best method (someone grabs your purse, are you going to say "Excuse me, but I need my firearm out of there please?" ... not)..... so I started carrying on my belt ... right hand side ... outside the waistband ... as others have said - winter is easy, sweatshirts, sweaters, jackets, etc. make carrying not very noticeable ... but not sure what the summer time will bring ...
    Although since here in Indiana the weapon doesn't have to be concealed - I carried it into a lodge (Eagles) ... checked at the door to be sure no signs were posted stating "no firearms" ... did just fine until about 1 hour left in the evening (we had been there at least 3 to 4 hours) when I was approached by a higher up in the Eagles and told that they did not allow firearms ... I politely asked if there was a sign posted at the door and if so humbly apologized for not seeing it ... the response was "no, we don't have a sign posted ... it is just the rule..." (hoping that they DO post "no firearms allowed" ... for future )
    However ... if my pistol had been in my purse, no one would have been the wiser ...
    Truly, not to intimidate anyone (I am not a big person) ... but no need to "hide" when we carry our license that gives us the right to carry (concealed or not ... we have that right...)
    Just my story from last weekend ... any and all input/ideas/suggestions are all good ... on a interesting note ... the table of people I was out with ... DID NOT EVEN KNOW I HAD THE GUN ON MY BELT .... they were all very surprised when I was approached ... that is how noticeable (or in this case not noticeable) it was ...(P238 .380 Sig)
    I think I need some, no, lots of pointers ... :)

ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    May I resurrect this thread?

I have been looking through threads and thinking a lot about how I will be carrying. I read this entire thread and am pretty sure no one mentioned ankle carry?

Of all the options, I keep going back to this one. Do any of you ladies use this method, or have you tried it? I am a jeans and sneakers kind of girl and figure this is a way I could comfortably CC.

I've thought about belt carry but I prefer thinner, form fitting shirts in the warm months (hot-natured). I realize this cuts down on my conceal options. Which is why I keep going back to ankle. At least until I feel mentally ready to OC, if ever I will, I dread thinking about the flack I've read about on here that people have gotten. At least it's getting cold and I have some leeway.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    May I resurrect this thread?

I have been looking through threads and thinking a lot about how I will be carrying. I read this entire thread and am pretty sure no one mentioned ankle carry?

Of all the options, I keep going back to this one. Do any of you ladies use this method, or have you tried it? I am a jeans and sneakers kind of girl and figure this is a way I could comfortably CC.

I've thought about belt carry but I prefer thinner, form fitting shirts in the warm months (hot-natured). I realize this cuts down on my conceal options. Which is why I keep going back to ankle. At least until I feel mentally ready to OC, if ever I will, I dread thinking about the flack I've read about on here that people have gotten. At least it's getting cold and I have some leeway.

What kind of gun are you thinking about ankle carrying? Kind of curious what others think is the right size of gun to ankle carry.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I would think the Sub-compact size would be a better ankle carry option. The Compact size is a nearly a full inch taller, and 5" seems a bit much to be hiding in a pant leg, even if it is boot cut. I'm sure it's been done, just doesn't seem to be the simplest.

**I just measured. I don't have thin calves and 5" would still "stick out" of the pants. Most people probably wouldn't notice, so it boils down to what level of concealed you desire.

Though not the heaviest, I would also think the Glock would be a heavy one for ankle carry, but I've never done it before so it may be a non-issue. I just know that in comparison my light model revolvers seems like a much better option for ankle carry.

I've OCed for quite some time and have never had any flack. All the comments have been positive or simply conversational (why does everyone think my Glock is a fo-tay?) Even got an "attagirl" from an INGOer who saw me at Menards one day. We hear about the bad because they shouldn't happen. But there are far more OC man-hours without a problem than with.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    I mentioned in my post that an ankle holster was one holster I didn't have and wanted to try. I did. I got a very nice Fobus ankle holster and it was do able, but not comfortable. I can tolerate a lot and get used to it but for me my G26 was too heavy. My hubby has a LCR that he carries in an ankle holster and I tried it out the other day. At first I didn't like it, but I kept adjusting the holster tightness on my ankle and finally found a comfortable position. By the end of the day I hardly noticed I had it on. If you're going to ankle carry you really need one of the air weight revolvers or smaller pistols. I'm sure there are people that do carry the subcompact Glocks in an ankle holster, but they are more woman than I am, cause I just couldn't adjust to it.

Also as 88GT said, I have OC'ed for quiet a while and I haven't had any real confrontations. I've had people look shocked and start a conversation or turn and walk away, but no one has chastised me for open carrying or for just having a gun.

ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    Hmm..good point. I see what you're saying about compact vs subcompact...Maybe I'm backwards, but I just don't want my very first purchase to be a subcompact. I like the way the compact feels.

Well it was just a thought, I don't have my heart set on ankle carry by any means. From what I've read most people are saying glocks are too heavy in general for their comfort as far as ankle carry. But I'll probably at least try it to see how it feels because I'm stubborn like that. ;)

Thanks for the info ladies, you both have at least put my mind a little more at ease about OC. I'll start looking back at belt carry options, too. :)

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Hmm..good point. I see what you're saying about compact vs subcompact...Maybe I'm backwards, but I just don't want my very first purchase to be a subcompact. I like the way the compact feels.

Well it was just a thought, I don't have my heart set on ankle carry by any means. From what I've read most people are saying glocks are too heavy in general for their comfort as far as ankle carry. But I'll probably at least try it to see how it feels because I'm stubborn like that. ;)

Thanks for the info ladies, you both have at least put my mind a little more at ease about OC. I'll start looking back at belt carry options, too. :)
    My wife is very small. I want to say about 5'4" and about 104lbs. She, like many women, wears tight form fitting clothing.

It truely depends on the nature of the specific woman's build. With my wife's size/build she cannot effectively conceal anything on her ankles. She wears tight pants and has rather small legs to begin with. It prints too much to really be considered concealed at all. Also, to point out she too carries a G19.

The only way we've found that effectively conceals for her build is appendix carry. If she places it center front, or anywhere on the side/rear it protrudes too much and is fairly obvious. The only place which works effectively for her is at about a 12:30-1 O'clock position appendix carry.

Just another recommendation without knowing what your experience level is, but I would HIGHLY suggest the G19 over the G23 assuming you're fairly knew to shooting. Carry requires practice and 9mm is cheaper to practice a lot more with and most women I come across, teach, or otherwise assist with shooting aren't typically fans of the .40

Hope this helps.

ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    Just another recommendation without knowing what your experience level is, but I would HIGHLY suggest the G19 over the G23 assuming you're fairly knew to shooting. Carry requires practice and 9mm is cheaper to practice a lot more with and most women I come across, teach, or otherwise assist with shooting aren't typically fans of the .40
    Hope this helps.

Understood, and again, appreciated. An INGO member I've had the privilege of getting to know suggested I go with the highest caliber I was comfortable with. He was kind enough to let me shoot a few of his glocks, one being the G23 which I liked the most. But yes, I've had my eye on the G19 as well. Haven't shot one. Either way, it may be my first purchase but it will not be my only purchase. My aforementioned stubbornness still wants me to get good at shooting a .40, though. :)

Back on topic, thanks for the info on appendix carry as well.

One last question: Anybody tried a 3 Speed Holster or know anyone that has?

MbMinx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Indianapolis Area
    I'm more interested in purse carry than in on-body carry. I've seen some decent carry purses at the 1500 show before...I tend to wear cross-body and I'm very aware of my purse at all times. I know it's not ideal, but I think it's better than nothing...

None of my clothes are made to wear with a belt, and none of my jeans have any room in them for anything other than me. I'm not sold on OC, I'm not opposed to CC. I'm just trying to be practical - I can maybe afford another purse. I can't afford a whole new wardrobe. How do you guys find jeans that fit well enough to look good yet still have room for IWC? What do you do when you dress up? I work in a pretty professional office, and I can't see a gun belt working with my skirts or dress slacks. I guess I just don't know how carry would work with my current fashion sense and I don't want to change everything over to big and shapeless with a big old heavy belt.

Am I just too vain?

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I'm more interested in purse carry than in on-body carry. I've seen some decent carry purses at the 1500 show before...I tend to wear cross-body and I'm very aware of my purse at all times. I know it's not ideal, but I think it's better than nothing...

None of my clothes are made to wear with a belt, and none of my jeans have any room in them for anything other than me. I'm not sold on OC, I'm not opposed to CC. I'm just trying to be practical - I can maybe afford another purse. I can't afford a whole new wardrobe. How do you guys find jeans that fit well enough to look good yet still have room for IWC? What do you do when you dress up? I work in a pretty professional office, and I can't see a gun belt working with my skirts or dress slacks. I guess I just don't know how carry would work with my current fashion sense and I don't want to change everything over to big and shapeless with a big old heavy belt.

Am I just too vain?
    A gun within your grasp beats one left at home, for sure...but as with everything, there are pros/cons tradeoffs.
    While it is easier to dress for "carry in a purse", take into consideration that a strap across your body just gave someone a handle to grab and fling you wherever they want...(up against a wall, down to the floor, over a stairway rail...etc.) Be sure to look into some classes that can teach you (at the very least) some basic maneuvers to either evade or escape such a grab. I don't know if there is such a thing offered, but it wouldn't hurt to know some self defense moves anyway, if someone just grabbed your "harness" from behind. It's worth looking into.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere

Am I just too vain?

My wife is very small and wears tight clothing too. She also works in a professional environment, although she's not allowed to carry there. Finding jeans that fit her is difficult anyway, but she basically takes the "make it work" approach. She doesn't let carry affect her fashion sense, she just makes some carry method work for whatever she's wearing at that time.

As long as you carry and can get to it rapidly is not as important as mixing most other things. Is my wife comfortable all the time? Not ALWAYS depending on circumstances, but having the ability is more important to her than comfort.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

Glock calls it a subcompact model, but that's in relation to the other Glock pistol sizes. When compared to the more common "pocket" pistols like the KeltecP32, it doesn't seem nearly so "subcompact." By way of comparison between the 19 and 26, there isn't much.

The 19 is 6.85" long and 5" high (bottom of grip to top of slide). It weighs 20.99 oz.

The 26 is 6.29" long and 4.17" high. It weighs 19.75 oz.

Shortened grip limits round count only if you limit yourself to the 26 magazine. I'm using a 17 mag (which holds 17 rounds) in my 26. Best of both worlds?

Not trying to persuade you one way or the other. You might find something else you like. Just breaking it down from a BTDT point of view.

Am I just too vain?

Nope, just practical. Purse carry has drawbacks, but none are as great as not carrying at all.

Points to consider that often get lost in the "ZOMG purse carry is the worst thing you could do" discussion.

1. Snatches are usually opportunistic. SA and a commanding control of the purse makes the idiot who left her purse sitting in the cart while she walked 10ft away to get the frozen peas she forgot a much more inviting target.*

2. Lots of people want to make you think having that firearm stolen in the event your purse is stolen is the worst thing in the world, all the while ignoring the fact that your ID, home address, keys, and possibly even your vehicle information are kept in that purse too. What's worse? Having the firearm stolen or the perp knowing where you live and having a means to get in? :dunno: :rolleyes: When I see this argument I can't help but wonder at the reason these people aren't advising their women not to carry purses at all.

3. With the proper amount of creativity, you can make purse carry work. When I choose a gun purse it's got to have a separate compartment for the firearm that I don't have to dig to access. The middle zippered compartment for most tote-style purses usually works. And there's always the unconventional purse route: don't use a "purse" at all. I'm currently carrying a Maxpedition Fatboy. You won't see anything like that hanging on the rack at the Mall or anywhere else. ;)

4. I think of the purse as just a different kind of holster. And as with any holster, you will want to be comfortable with and proficient in removing your firearm from it in the event that you need to use it. If you can find training for this specific purpose, even better. But practice (with an unloaded firearm, of course), is also good.

5. I know there are others that disagree, but I think the disadvantages of purse carry are more than compensated for by good SA and having a practiced plan for firearm deployment. I simply don't think the overall risk of a purse snatch is as great as others make it out to be. And there are anecdotes across time and nation of women who successfully used their purse pistol to avoid victimhood.

6. As as JG always says, don't be afraid to shoot THROUGH the purse if time is that critical. :D

*Exception to the opportunistic crime would be the blitz attack. But at that point where the firearm is located becomes somewhat moot, you being rendered unconscious and all.

Just my :twocents:. YMMV

wizard_of_ahs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Terre Haute
    My lovely bride of 40+ years usually carries in her purse, but at times carries her Bersa 380 in a flashbang !!! (mostly when we are traveling in the car) :)

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Purse carry has drawbacks, but none are as great as not carrying at all.
    Yeah, that ^.

purse sitting in the cart while she walked 10ft away to get the frozen peas she forgot a much more inviting target.*
    Yeah, don't do that^.

your ID, home address, keys, and possibly even your vehicle information are kept in that purse too.
    Yeah, not only absconding with your stuff, knowing where you live and having a way to come in...now he's coming armed with YOUR gun!
    I.D. holder for licenses, cash, and a card... pockets for whatever else.

I can't help but wonder at the reason these people aren't advising their women not to carry purses at all.
    I discourage it altogether within my own circle.
    MiniJet doesn't carry a purse either. Guess I did it right. :D

don't be afraid to shoot THROUGH the purse if time is that critical.
    Dang skippy.
    You can get another purse...you can't get another you.

As as JG always says...
    Totally need that T-shirt.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    A couple gun shows back I picked up a vintage, leather Alessi shoulder holster. I wore it out for the first time at the Rushville gun show this past weekend. I carried my Ruger SP101 in it. This particular gun weighs 28ozs empty so it's a little on the hefty side. It rode very nice and comfortably in this rig. I was pleased with it.

Although I had a sweat jacket over the holster I don't know how well it was actually concealed. I don't worry about being concealed at gun shows because I am usually pulling my gun out to see if it wants a new holster or something else. My guns are a lot like small children in this regard. They always want me to buy them something. :)

During the colder months I wear a lot of fleece vests so I am thinking this may be my preferred carry method for this gun when I go out of town and have a vest on.

I am petite so I was concerned with this carry method working since I carry my purse on my left side and the actual gun holster part is on the left side. The holster can be adjusted so it worked out fine. Since I was at a gun show I also had my Sig with me in my purse because it likes to shop too. It too weighs 28 oz's empty plus I had a couple full mags and all the usual purse stuff women carry. So understandably my left shoulder was a little sore the next day from all the weight being carried on that side.

Overall I did like using the shoulder harness, I think it worked out well.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I usually purse carry my SP101 or my Sig 1911 ultra compact. I currently carry a basic Sigrid Olsen leather hobo bag. It has one big compartment. I carry my gun in a cheap Uncle Mike's holster inside a cheap clutch which I put in the purse.

Since the gun is concealed in the clutch I have no problem opening my purse. If I need to remove my gun from my purse I just remove the clutch.

Here's pics of how I purse carry.

Pic of my purse, my SP101, my gun clutch and zippered pouch with extra bullets and spare LTCH inside.
    2012-09-26_17-11-38_523.jpg

Pic of pouch, with gun inside Uncle Mikes holster along with the zippered pouch.
    2012-09-26_17-12-42_848.jpg

Pic of purse with regular contents plus gun inside pouch.
    2012-09-26_17-13-13_719.jpg

Top Bottom