• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Are there any ladies with arthritis or chronic pain out there who are active shooters? I am interested in finding a suitable firearm for a family member with the aforementioned afflictions. thank in advance for your :twocents:

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    I deal with dequairviens tendonitis in both wrists. I find that a larg(er) frame firearm is easier for me to shoot with and shoot often. It's hard to grip a smaller firearm with the issues I have and the recoil seems more "snappy". My problem, the gun I carry daily, is not the gun I shoot with the most. I make sure to get my practice time in, but I can only shoot it for a certain amount of time before the pain hits hard. The reason I don't carry a larg(er) frame is because I can not properly conceal a larger frame.
    So..My advice is to...
    #1- Get the person with the issue out there to shoot a number of different guns to see what one affects the pain.
    #2-Keep in mind that no matter what, That might change once you purchase and use the firearm frequently. *It takes a little time for the small frame gun to cause me pain, but it does, more than a large frame and I didn't realize that when I got it.*
    #3- Throw around the option of some sort of brace, if possible (I don't know where the arthritis!

Hope this helps.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Also, the temptation when going out in a group is to try one of everything. Make sure she knows her limitations. I know that with my carpal tunnel that if I were to even try, say, the S&W .500 that I'd be in a load of pain. I also tend to shy away from .45 and stick with 9mm. Also, when she does go to the range to practice, start with the larger calibers and work down. I start with handguns and then work to rifles 'cause I won't be able to keep the handgun steady after awhile. Rifles have slings to do the work for me.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Beretta made, and may still make, a medium frame .380 with a tip up barrel. No need to rack a slide and the larger frame with a moderate round has lower recoil

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I bought my mom a .22 full size revolver (steel frame) because of her hand/wrist issues with multiple carpal tunnel surgeries and some weird tendon syndrome that prevents full extension/flexion of some fingers. No slide to rack and very little recoil between the small caliber and heavy frame.

She's not interested in shooting for fun so it was important to keep all hurdles to a minimum when choosing a gun for her. This was the best choice balancing all of her issues.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I'm not a lady, but at the age of 22 I was diagnosed with Rhemuatoid Arthritis and have been under constant medical care ever since (I'm pushing 50 now). My favorite handgun is a 1911 in 45acp but I do feel pain after shooting it for long strings.

On the other hand a 9mm, especially in a steel framed gun, is totally effortless to shoot.

380, at least out of a subcompact pistol, is unpleasant. I suspect shooting it in a gun like a steel framed Bersa would be very mild.

The 40s&w is very unpleasant to shoot. Recoil 'snaps' back.

38 Special is easy to shoot, but the guns are typically not easy to shoot. Snubbies are unpleasant to shoot unless they are steel guns. Trigger pulls are too long and hard for some people to manage so if arthritis affects the fingers instead of, or in addition to, the wrists then a revolver would be a bad choice.

357 and larger hurts to shoot. Recoil is very snappy. See comments about trigger above.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My wife has arthritis in her hands ans wrists. She can not pull the trigger on a double action revolver or work the action on a large auto. After some shopping we came across the Walther PK380. I have been meaning to do a write up. Some things I don't personally care for in the design, but the gun has its merit. Relatively inexpensive, light weight, very low recoil, excellent grip and ergonomics, good sights, accurate, easy to pull back the slide. It is picky about what ammo you feed it and the safety leaves much to be desired. Other then that I would recommend it to a person with weak hands or some type of medical condition.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I'm not a lady, but at the age of 22 I was diagnosed with Rhemuatoid Arthritis and have been under constant medical care ever since (I'm pushing 50 now). My favorite handgun is a 1911 in 45acp but I do feel pain after shooting it for long strings.

On the other hand a 9mm, especially in a steel framed gun, is totally effortless to shoot.

380, at least out of a subcompact pistol, is unpleasant. I suspect shooting it in a gun like a steel framed Bersa would be very mild.

The 40s&w is very unpleasant to shoot. Recoil 'snaps' back.

38 Special is easy to shoot, but the guns are typically not easy to shoot. Snubbies are unpleasant to shoot unless they are steel guns. Trigger pulls are too long and hard for some people to manage so if arthritis affects the fingers instead of, or in addition to, the wrists then a revolver would be a bad choice.

357 and larger hurts to shoot. Recoil is very snappy. See comments about trigger above.

From the shooting I have don't I don't see much difference between a .40 and .45 when it comes to the snap..... with the 230gr 45 my wrists don't hurt but my hands get a little sore after a while.... I have shot .40 in sub compact with and with out mag extensions and for my big hands they are not fun after a while mostly because it is hard to hold onto and control the snap...... full frame is snappy but the gun seems to absorb most of the hurt compared to a sub comact.

9MM is really easy but I don't beleive I have shot the hotter factory loads out of one yet.

To the OP the best advise I can give though is have her shoot as many guns as she can with different sized rounds and loads....

My wife want's a .40 but has never shot and plans to shoot 9MM, (maybe .357 sig) .40, .45 and in a few different pistols to see what she wants.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Beretta made, and may still make, a medium frame .380 with a tip up barrel. No need to rack a slide and the larger frame with a moderate round has lower recoil

The Beretta Cheetah 86:

Beretta Cheetah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Apparently it didn't sell and has been discontinued. Despite my current aversion to the .380 (because the ammo is rare and expensive, not due to any ballistic considerations), I would buy one new in a heartbeat if they were still sold.

Very mild in a steel framed Bersa, I think. It had that same "Where's the recoil?" feeling I have when I shoot very small calibers like .22LR and .25ACP.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Wow that beretta may just be what the dr ordered!

I have seen "never used" and barely used Cheetah 86's on sale on gun auction sites, and even once on a dealer table at the Indy 1500 show. I've never seen one go for less than $475, although the Blue Book price guide suggests that used Cheetah 86's in very good condition should go for a bit less than that.

I wish Beretta would license the design out to someone, like they did with the Cougar. Or that the patents would run out (or whatever has to happen ... the gun was first imported to this country 19 years ago) and one of the clonemakers like Taurus would start making it.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    I have seen "never used" and barely used Cheetah 86's on sale on gun auction sites, and even once on a dealer table at the Indy 1500 show. I've never seen one go for less than $475, although the Blue Book price guide suggests that used Cheetah 86's in very good condition should go for a bit less than that.

I wish Beretta would license the design out to someone, like they did with the Cougar. Or that the patents would run out (or whatever has to happen ... the gun was first imported to this country 19 years ago) and one of the clonemakers like Taurus would start making it.

I believe, though my mind is feeble, that patents have a life of 17 years. So it looks like the original should be off patent and ready to take to a machine shop. :dunno: I'll be waiting.:popcorn: Until then I will keep my eye out.

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana

I've never fired a Bersa, but most of the "service size" 9x18, .380 and to a lesser extent .32 pistols have a fair amount of recoil considering the cartridge. This is mainly because they have no locking mechanism and are purely blowback operated.

My suggestion for a starter would be a mid or full size .357 loaded with standard pressure .38 special. Either that or a pistol that has a readily available .22lr conversion. Based on another comment by Melensdad about steel framed 9mms I think any of the CZ75 line with the Kadet conversion would be a good choice that could be had for a reasonable price.

My mother doesn't shoot frequently, but she keeps a Ruger Single Six with the .22 magnum cylinder for home defense. As long as you remember the fundamentals, that pistol shoots itself. She managed to break both her wrists at a young age and now has arthritis specific to that area.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    RT, I do have arthritis in both hands and in my elbow. I have an LCP which I do carry on occassion, but I cannot practice with for any more than 25 rounds at a time. Racking the slide is a pain in the a$$. My favorite weapon is the M&P9 full size. For me, the full size is the easiest to control, and much more enjoyable to shoot.
    Someone on this board recommended when racking the slide, hold the slide in the weak hand and push down with the dominant hand. On days my art is acting up, that works every time.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    RT, I do have arthritis in both hands and in my elbow. I have an LCP which I do carry on occassion, but I cannot practice with for any more than 25 rounds at a time. Racking the slide is a pain in the a$$. My favorite weapon is the M&P9 full size. For me, the full size is the easiest to control, and much more enjoyable to shoot.
    Someone on this board recommended when racking the slide, hold the slide in the weak hand and push down with the dominant hand. On days my art is acting up, that works every time.

It is funny you mention the LCP. Just before the LCP was launched I gave her the Keltec version of the gun. The premise being the lighter round (.32) would be easier to practice on for duration and more comfortable. The slide was most difficult due to its small size, quite similar to your lcp experience. I hope for your sake that the lcp was more accurate. With the keltec neither of us could hit the broad side of a barn! It marked the 2nd time I went against the advice of my gun guy. Never again. The first was during my plastic years, he recommended a springfield 1911, I chose a glock. It is a good thing they come with more rounds, because I needed them. Still haven't gotten used to that trigger action. Thanks for the good advice. As for the keltec, I sold it to the world famous Green Tops in VA 2 years ago. They still have it on the shelf.

pharmboy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shelbyville

I'll agree, the tip-up barrel is a great feature for those with limited gripping ability that could prevent them from racking the slide on a more conventional semiauto. The only other tip-up barrel semiautos I've seen are the Taurus PT-22 and PT-25, as well as the Beretta 950.

Top Bottom