• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    Jeezus I hate jealous dudes even when they aren't cops. Just another dud with a teeny weenie.

Bung

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2012
    Anderson
    Sounds like the guy (the one doing the suing) needs a beating. He it trying to sue the department when the department had nothing to do with it. Just someone looking for a pay day. I hope the department stands ground and doesn't settle with this jerk.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Sounds like the guy (the one doing the suing) needs a beating. He it trying to sue the department when the department had nothing to do with it. Just someone looking for a pay day. I hope the department stands ground and doesn't settle with this jerk.

I agree, in that the police department should not be a defendant in this case.
    I do think, however, that the officer in question should be not just fired but prosecuted if the allegations are substantiated.

According to the article, there is a tape recording of the death threat. I thought that was a felony.

HenryWallace

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    The department has nothing to do with it. I really don't like the over generalization, but! it's what happens to us.

Wonder what would happen if one of us tried to do the same to an police officer? Ah the double standards ring a sour note, do they not!?

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    The guy should be prosecuted and if found guilty should be fired. Someone so irresponsible and lacking in trustworthiness should not be considered to meet the standards required of a police officer.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I agree, in that the police department should not be a defendant in this case.
    I do think, however, that the officer in question should be not just fired but prosecuted if the allegations are substantiated.

According to the article, there is a tape recording of the death threat. I thought that was a felony.

As I read this, the response by the department to a threat of murder was a 5 day suspension. That's why I would name the department in the suit. As small a percentage as they are, someone needs to take cops who threaten murder against civilians a little more serious than a 5 day suspension.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    As a retied police, I have to to say that my only interaction with Layfayette PD was when they crashed an MCS training session. They did not strike me at the tip of the spear.

Lets see, a bunch of guys obviously wearing holsters and training with blue guns and air soft and you cannot be bothered to get your fat ass out of your vehicle when talking to them and you send one unit for 10 guys?- George

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    As I read this, the response by the department to a threat of murder was a 5 day suspension. That's why I would name the department in the suit. As small a percentage as they are, someone needs to take cops who threaten murder against civilians a little more serious than a 5 day suspension.

In my opinion, this would be accessory after the fact at best. I would think it more likely to be a case of public endangerment, for letting an accused officer remain on the street.

One problem here though, is he hasn't been convicted of anything. You can't justify punitive action for allegations alone.

I understand there may be a recording of a death threat. If that's the case, then ARREST him! Once arrested, he would no longer be on the streets, at least until the conclusion of a trial.

What the department needs to do is assign him to administrative duties until the matter is resolved legally. They really have no right to put him on leave, or to fire him, without a conviction or at least an arrest.

He may be a cop, but he's still a citizen too, and should be afforded the same rights.

Archer46176

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    South East of Indy
    IANAL but I would say the reason the department is a defendant is because all officers are "technically" on duty 24/7... Doesnt make it right and I dont agree with it but I bet that is what the lawyer is thinking...

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    This has been in our news for awhile now. I certainly don't know the facts surrounding it, but it is being presented that the two people were high school friends and when they ran into each other at Bdubs, they hugged each other not unlike a lot of people who hug one another after a long absence.

I guess time will tell if there was anything else intended with the PDA, but either way, IMO no phone calls should have been made to the guy by the LEO. If he had kept his cool, he and others would not be going through the hassle now.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    The suing in this country is just out of hand. People trying to make a quick buck for nothing. Lawyers help put this country where it is.

The cop should be fired and charged if what he did was illegal.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    This guy was off duty and the girlfriend wasn't even his. They should fire this idiot. He is lucky the guy he attacked was not carrying.

http://www.jconline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2013303130027

So the city's position is:

But the police department denies that Williams placed the call from a city-issued cellphone, as Vander Plaats claims. LPD also argues that it cannot be liable under Indiana’s Tort Claims Act, which provides immunity for government entities and public agencies, and counters that Vander Plaats himself “assumed or incurred the risk of his own conduct.”

So what could Mr. Plaats have possibly done that would justify one of their police officers, who is sworn to uphold the law, to call from ANY phone and make threats of ANY kind?

Seems that Officer Williams is not the brightest bulb in the pack. Not only did he call and make a threat, he left a recorded message! He should be FIRED not suspended. Not only is he unfit for police duty he's clearly an idiot!

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Somebody with a hair trigger like this guy shouldn't be in power over a mens restroom much less a position of authority while carrying a firearm. You can read the contempt in his face from the picture. LPD should cut their losses now before this guy does something even stupider!!

Top Bottom