• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NateR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Greenfield, In
    A buddy and I decided that we're going to keep an eye on the weather and pull the bass boat up to Lake Erie in late April, and get in on some early Walleye action as they move into the shallower waters. I went around the same time last year on a guided trip, and while we were out I noticed that there were quite a few private boats joining in on the action. I have always heard that Erie can get nasty in a hurry, but we'd be on a 20' Nitro with 150 horsies to get us back in time if it got bad. I wanted to see if anybody had suggestions where to launch the boat, and a good place to crash? We were considering the Port Clinton, OH area. Any advice is appreciated!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Don't know... But at only 20', I'd not go more than half a mile (or less) from shore. If it were ME, probably not even that far. But small boats on big water make me a little skeevy.

-J-

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    Personally, I would not be out in LE in a bass boat. It is nothing for the lake to be as smooth as glass and then have 3-4 foot waves pop up and they are not a rolling wave they come at you from every direction. Many times I have been out on the lake in a 21ft sport boat and it gets a little hairy when the lake changes!

I lived on the lake until the last 10 years and it can change in a heartbeat.

If you still want to brave it launch either out of East Harbor State Park or Catawba Island State Park

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Greensburg
    A couple of years ago, we stayed at the Lake Erie Lodge, in Curtice, OH. Was not more than 5 mins from the marina. Not a bad place to stay, fairly cheap and had a restaruant and bar right at the place to boot. I am pretty sure you could launch a private boat from the marina at Maumee Bay. Although you wouldn't catch me on that water in a small boat, there were a ton of 20' and shorter boats out there on the water with about 3-5 ft swells, just make sure you have all of your ducks in a row as the Coast Guard was pretty thick when we were out there.

rocked

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Fishers
    A few years ago I ferried my boat from Port Clinton out to Put In Bay and Launched once over there. It worked out well because it put us closer to the fishing but also would have easy access to protection around the islands. We camped in the campground and for nightlife you can't beat the bars there.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    A buddy and I decided that we're going to keep an eye on the weather and pull the bass boat up to Lake Erie in late April, and get in on some early Walleye action as they move into the shallower waters. I went around the same time last year on a guided trip, and while we were out I noticed that there were quite a few private boats joining in on the action. I have always heard that Erie can get nasty in a hurry, but we'd be on a 20' Nitro with 150 horsies to get us back in time if it got bad. I wanted to see if anybody had suggestions where to launch the boat, and a good place to crash? We were considering the Port Clinton, OH area. Any advice is appreciated!
    I always go to Port Clinton / Marblehead. I use to take my Pro-line Center console up there and I would rather be in that then a bass boat if I went far from shore, and Frankly I rarely went too far in it.

One year I got a "vibe" and my back was hurting, told our guide our day was done. We came in about an hour ahead of the pack. Got back to our place, and I sat and watched the lake trash a Bass tournnament and plenty of boats like yours along with it. Beautiful sunny day but wind switched and came in hard from the NE. Coastguard actually cleared the lake of small craft long before sunset.

Go around to the backside of Marblehead and put in there. You can run in and out of Sandusky bay if things get rough and fishing can be good there in Spring. Do not bank on Horsepower saving your *** on a long run if you are on a Bass boat. Remember just 3' waves equal small craft warning and a Bass boat don't dance well in that stuff.

I got to where I just prefered to stay on that side when I took my boat so I could fish there, out in the lake or run up the river too. If the lake was rough, the bay is fine.

Lake Erie will bite you if you blink. Have your radios and safety gear on order.

You have the right idea, you can trailer to different launch points and stay close.

Taylor's Resort, Marblehead, Ohio, 43440.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    You would not last long in that cold water. Make sure people know where you are going, and have a waterproof marine radio.

thecanuck

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Echo everything said here... Seen weather switch on a dime on Erie... watch your weather reports and make sure you have you marine radio and all and everything is working right... People are not kidding when they say it can turn in a MOMENT's notice.

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    I grew up in Sandusky, and I agree with what the others are saying about docks. Marblehead is a good place to dock for easy access to the islands. It's a little early in the season, but you should take some time to explore the islands too. There's a lot of fun to be had depending on what interests you.

You're right that in April you can find walleye better around shallow waters -- later in the year you'll have to almost go to Canada to find them. I can't reveal the family "fishin' hole" (my uncle would skin me alive) but look around coves and inlets and you should find some.

Since you'll be staying near land you should be ok, but the others are dead on about the weather. A friend and I once were out east of Kelley's doing some fishing. Nice morning, sunny and breezy, until about 9 o'clock when we saw a long line of clouds on the horizon and the breeze became gusts. The clouds soon covered the northern part of the sky and we realized we had a storm coming in. It was moving across the lake. (Listen to the radio? Huh, who needs to do that?) My friend panicked and the engine choked when he tried to start it. By the time we got it running that thing was right on our heels -- barely made it into Sandusky Bay ahead of it. We had to dock in a downpour you wouldn't believe. Would have been worth it if we'd caught anything. :rolleyes:

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    I did a walleye charter out of Put-in-Bay in July a few years back and we caught some nice fish! We had rented a house on the island for a bachelor party and part of the festivities was the walleye charter. The crew of the charter cleaned and filleted the walleye for us when we were done for the day. They told us there was a restaurant by the airport that would cook our walleye any way we wanted. They did an excellent job. Nothing better then fresh caught walleye for dinner!

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I think the whole area is often overlooked by Hoosiers.

My ex was not the biggest fisher chic known to man but she loved the lake Erie Charters. My Old man was a panfisherman but he turned it up a notch for the Walleye. My first trip there was in 1990. I took my Dad for Fathers Day, forced him to fish for "exotic" fish (anything biger than your hand was exotic to him). We went back many times after that.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I think the whole area is often overlooked by Hoosiers.

Really? On what basis do you say that?

My family loves Lake Erie walleye and we see lots of Indiana plates (I mean we are not as populous as Illinois or Ohio but I always see our state's share).

My father goes every late spring and uses leeches and black Sparkletails.:)

Sparkle Tail Lures

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Really? On what basis do you say that?

My family loves Lake Erie walleye and we see lots of Indiana plates (I mean we are not as populous as Illinois or Ohio but I always see our state's share).

My father goes every late spring and uses leeches and black Sparkletails.:)

Sparkle Tail Lures
    I don't mean for just fishing. There are a ton of Hoosiers who have just never been to Port Clinton / Marblehead or the Islands. Especially from Indy and South. Just ask at work. If a person says yes, chances are they fish. Some hit the winery trails, but not many. You won't find too many in Lafayette either. BTDT.

How is that for a basis?

That is also the last place I recall seeing a cinder track. In winter it is a wasteland. I am old enough to have actually run on a few in high school.

wildhare

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If the water is good you'll be fine. But like others have said I wouldn't do it. I fell in Erie a couple years ago in early april. FREAKING COLD!!!!! The guys had a good time, but not me. 46 degree water isn't fun. We did have a good time fishing the rest of the day. Luckily I had dry bibs and a coat. I didn't have any shoes though. Those damn minnows feel weird in between the toes:):

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    The last bass boat I bought was owned by a couple who took it to Lake Erie twice a year and never had any issues - until the last year when they took their five year old granddaughter along and misread the weather. They were nearly swamped and it took nearly an hour to clear the boat with both bilges running. They sold it to me and bought a pontoon - and have never been back.

It's just like any other of the great lakes - it can turn on you in a hurry. I wouldn't be more than a mile out from shore in any boat shorter than 25 feet and definitely not in a bass boat.

NateR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Greenfield, In
    Thanks for all the advice! I did my due diligence, but I'm not completely talked out of it. I will definitely be sticking close to the coves and inlets. After all, I did see some Amish (or Mennonite) folks out a ways in an aluminum boat last spring, god bless 'em. Flare gun, life jackets, radio, weather forecast, big cooler, and of course bud light...better buoyancy than it's close relative bud heavy.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    I fished Erie out of Monroe Mi when I lived up there and we have chartered out of Pt Clinton Oh too.

It was a sweet deal in Ohio, the Captain had a trailer the 6 of us stayed in Sat night, we fished 4+ hours on Sat and 8+ on Sunday for $100 ea. We booked with him for years and he never raised his rate and always let us stay in the trailer.

Sadly he retired, good for him but he went to Florida and got a bigger boat for Marlin etc....

Great fishing but yes, Erie gets nasty quick, the danger from Mi is that you have to head into the storm to get ashore. And remember most of Erie is under 26-30' deep so the waves come up quick.....

Top Bottom