• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    I will soon be hiking a trail in the Dean Wilderness area. Is there enough of a population of Cats in Monroe to hassle with a fishing pole? Thanks.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    catfish.jpg

Denny

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Unless it IS the other kind of cat, in which case a walleye jig is probably lacking a little in utility. Best substitute a .357 or bigger.

-Nate

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I have never caught one myself, but I have seen the bank from the end of the peninsula trail to the right (as you face the lake) littered with their skeletons so they are there for sure.
    I see a lot more of them later in the summer, but do not know if that is when the cats are biting or more that is when people are fishing for them.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If you have seen the bank from the end of the Peninsula what is it like?

[STRIKE]Where exactly are you talking about?[/STRIKE] Ah, found it. Some of the biggest crappie in the lake are caught in the Middle Fork area of the lake on the opposite side of that peninsula. All sorts of fish are in those warmer shallower waters in the spring. Everything west of the causeway is very productive as the water warms. Cats, wipers, crappie and plenty of bass.

Last edited:

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    If you have seen the bank from the end of the Peninsula what is it like?

I am referring to the bank of lake monroe at the end of the Deam Wilderness Peninsula Trail, so if I have the wrong place please ignore:

The trail ends at the lake,towards the northern tip of the peninsula, facing West . As you look out across the lake to the West, you see the causeway in the distance. The shoreline is rocky with some sand and slopes pretty gently into the lake. If you follow the shoreline to the north, around the tip and back south along the eastern facing shore it seems to get muddier/less rocky and that is where I have seen the most cat skeletons. The water there tends to be a shallow mud flat and I am not sure where the channel runs.

Lake monroe has a pretty big range in water level and if the lake is way up, a lot of the better camping spots on that side will be under water. I like it when the water is regular or low, but it's still worth going. There's plenty of elevation in the Deem, so it's not like there will not be other places to camp, even if the water is up.

If the water is regular or low and you get to the end of the peninsula and find it crowded with other campers, I suggest following the shoreline east until you find a quiet spot. Be warned that you might hike your but off to find a quiet spot on the lake to set up, only to have a couple of boats full of folks pull up at dark and set up next to you, but I have never had too much a problem with that.

What trail(s) are you planning to hike?

Top Bottom