• ...and so much more!
  • MrPeabody

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Hi Guys -

This might have been covered and if it has I apologize. We just moved and my wife and I had to get new permits. It has always amazed me that Indiana only provides paper for a lifetime permit instead of a credit card type permit. On my previous permit I had access to a laminator and built the thickness up with business cards to get a nice heavy feel. I no longer have access to that laminator and am looking for suggestions as to how others have proctected their permit. I have not been able to find a heavy lamination..... Am I just not looking in the right place?

TIA,

Mark

deanald2pt0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    NW Indy
    I had mine done at Kinkos. They have heavy duty ID sized laminate sheets and will do it for you while you wait.

It only takes a few mintues and cost a dollar or two.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I made copies before signing and put the unsigned original in the safe. I signed s couple of the copies and then just laminated them. If one wears out, I'll sign another copy and laminate it.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    +1 on the copies, sign, and then laminate. Kinkos/Staples even has the same pink paper.

I think I reduced mine to 88%, so that with the laminate it was the same size as a credit card. The original went in the safe.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Hi Mark! First I'll get the obligatory "it's not a CC permit in Indiana, it's a License to Carry a Handgun( LTCH), method not specified" out of the way. Now, to answer your question, most of us make duplicates of our LTCH before signing it, and go to Kinko's or the like to have them laminated. No one has posted any verifiable issue with presenting a copy of the LTCH if asked, and keeping the original in a safe place. Most likely because the pretty pink paper is easily obtainable and not discernable from the paper the State uses, which also probably comes from the office supply store. So that is the generally accepted way of protecting your lifetime LTCH - make plenty of copies, keep one in your wallet, your vehicles, your range bags, and your safe, and get them laminated at Kinko's. If I remember you need to set your copier at like 94% size to get one that laminates as credit card sized.

And clearly I take too long to type on my phone.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Suggestion, make several copies of the original on pink paper before you sign the original. Put the unsigned original away for safe keeping. Sign one of the copies, and have it laminated. If you lose it, or it gets destroyed, use the nest one. I found suitable pink paper at Walmart. It will save you money in the long run, even a laminated license will not last a lifetime.

deanald2pt0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    NW Indy
    Making copies is a good idea, I never thought about that originally. I'll have to remember to do that when it's time to replace mine.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It has always amazed me that Indiana only provides paper for a lifetime permit instead of a credit card type permit.

And if they raised the price to cover the costs of your new credit card permit how many threads on INGO would there be objecting to the cost? 10,000? 15,000?

Look at the machinations people will go through to avoid getting a LTCH. "Now if my dog carries the gun . . ." "If I have my third cousin, who is a town marshall in Beeville . . ." "If I only go to the range on Sundays . . ."

Look at the whining when a gun company raises prices by a dollar. The INGO whining about a credit card (can you image the Political § threads once they find the RFID chips in them?) would be deafening.:D

No problem with laminating it. I recommend copies (in glovebox, in range bag, in safe). I still have reservations on pink paper.

gum507

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Thanks i for the heads up need to go to staples this weekend ot do that before it get wet.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I suggest scanning it into your computer, if you have the capability. That is what I did, and this is why:

1. It gave me a digital copy of my LTCH (easier to back-up and print more copies).
    2. I was able to lay them out in PhotoShop and print more than 1 per page.
    3. I was also able to re-size it so it actually fits into a wallet when laminated.

I left my original LTCH unsigned, and put it in my safe. Alongside the original I have a couple sheets of pre-printed copies. All I have to do is sign one, laminate it, and I am good to go.

I have a copy in my wallet, with the registration in all of my vehicles, my EDC bag, and each of my prep bags (BOB, GHB, etc). I should never have a problem with not being able to present it when/if I am asked.

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    get some 10mil credit card sized laminating pouches and use an iron.that is what I used and the paemit is as stiff as my credit cards. place the permit in the pouch put that between 2 pieces of thin cardboard and use an iron on med/high for 15-30 seconds per side. practice a few times on regular paper before doing it on your actual permit. I got my pouches on Ebay from a company called Pouch and Coil LLC.

Here is a link to the EXACT pouches I got from the same seller. There are 100 per pack but Hey! you'll have extras like me. It will even come with a cardboard sleeve to use while laminating

Credit card laminating pouches (2-1/8" x 3-3/8") 10 MIL office supplies | eBay

Top Bottom