• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Okay so I did a search here and came across a somewhat relevant thread, https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...neys-landlords.html?highlight=landlord+issues, but didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Here are the problems, 1) Hot water in only shower in house does not work, but once or twice a week, 2) the same shower fixtures are so old and they are clogged up to the point of kicking hard (i'm not a plumber so I don't know how else to explain it besides "kick"), and stripped to the point of almost making a 360 deg. turn, 3) When we moved in the dryer vent was buried under ground and stuffed with screen and filled with dirt, 4) the soffet(sp?) on the right side of the house; place where gutter is attached; was and is still torn and hanging down, 5) the roof has 4 layers of shingles on it from which; 6) The rafters are cracked, 7) the roof supposedly leaks so the landlord, has told me the insur. co. told him. Although the landlord says it doesn't.

Some of these have been going on the year or so we have lived here, we have told them about items 1-4 since we have lived here, 5-7 was not known about until just the other day when the landlord just showed up pounding, and drilling at 9 a.m., above my room, while I was sleeping, I'm an insomniac and they have been informed several times of this. Have any of the above been fixed? No, except the dryer vent, because we fixed it.

Now in the other thread I underatand IC does not give a specified time, but our lease does say "24 hrs. notice before setting foot on the property, unless in case of an emergency." Also I want to state a little of what has happened recently as well. The other day when he just showed up I awoke to pounding at 9 am., scared out of bed, then realized what it was after looking outside. I went out and asked him what he was doing, he replied, "I'm sorry I didn't think anyone was home", I said, " I didn't hear you call or knock."; "I didn't. The Ins. Co. says this roof leaks, I don't see that anywhere." he said.
    He then moved his ladder around the house, acknowledged the gutter area, and continued on around the house. Then he asks if he can go look up in the attic to see in there. I say sure okay. He brings the ladder in, sets it up, looks at me and goes, " Think you can get up there?", He's not incapable of getting up there, or 70-80 or anything like that, after me refusing to go up there, he finally went up, and came down in less than 5 minutes and said, " The rafters are cracked, but I don't see any leaks." Grabbed his ladder and as he was leaving said, "I'll give you a call when I come back and replace the rafters." "Well, it would have been nice if would have called this time, seeing as how your lease says you will give 24 hrs. notice, and you know I'm an insomniac, and that is my room you were pounding above. I'm not against you coming here and fixing the place up, but I would like you to call first at least." So later that day I went and looked at the roof and noticed the 4 layers of shingles and made a note.
    Then the next day, at 9 am., I'm just going to bed, excessive drilling. I get up look outside and see, again, it is my landlord. I walk out, and ask, " Hey, I thought you were going to call before you came. You know I'm literally just going to bed." He replies, "Oh well I was just in the area and had my drill, thought I would try to drill a hole to get the rafters up when the time comes." I say, "Okay that's not a problem, but you told me you were going to call." " I'm not comfortable with you coming over unnanounced to drill and hammer at 9 am., directly above my room, knowing I'm an insomniac without calling first or at least knocking."

He tells me he is sorry and won't do it again. I tell him I would very much appreciate that, and then I inform him of the shingles. "Oh yeah the ins. co. has been telling me about those, I'll look at them." "Okay thanks, could you also maybe fix the soffet/gutter, and possibly get a plumber out here to look at this shower?"
    He looks at the shingles, acknowledged it, and then says, " I don't know what to do about this, I'll have to think about it." He then asks to come look at the shower, I reminded him of the gutter, "I know." "Okay come on in." We go to the shower, he turns the hot about 90 deg. no water then a few deg. more "Bang B-B-B-Bang, B-B-Bang" comes from the pipes, he then turns it more and the pipe literally looked like it was having a seizure. Still no water, until a bit more then cold water, by the time it had gotten almost all the way around, the hot water started coming out, and then stopped. I had told him, "This is what we have been telling you about, for a year, and that we have barely been able to take a hot shower, because of it." He replies, "Well, this fixture is so old, it can't be replaced." I said, "They do make replacements for these things." "I haven't seen them, and again these things are just so old there isn't anything I can do." "Well it would be nice to take a hot shower consistently." He then seemed frustrated and left, again telling me he would call, before coming over. Never looking at the gutter.

Today, again, 9 am. I'm asleep, and I hear drilling and sawing, and again it's the landlord. I ask what he is doing, "I'm sorry, were you sleeping?", "Yes, yes I was. Again you didn't call, why?" I'm not kidding he really said, "Well I just thought I would come over and be real quiet." He was using a power drill and saw right outside my bedroom. " Well, those are power tools, they are loud, not quiet." "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't think I would bother anyone." " After the last few times, you should know that I have a lot of trouble sleeping, and that is my room, and you tell me you will call or knock, you never do, and you just show up and start using power tools outside of what you know is my room and think it's quiet? Look I understand you want to fix the roof, I'm not saying you have to call and make an appointment, I just want the common respect of being able to sleep peacefully in my home." "Ok, well I'm just putting a rail on this wheelchair ramp, and then I got more drilling to do on the roof, and then I gotta figure out how I am going to get the rafters up there, and I'll be going." "Okay." was all I said as I went back inside. Within a few minutes he had left.

Now, I must ask, after informing him and informing him about all those issues. Is it legally okay for him to neglect that we can't take a hot shower, for a year, witness it doesn't work and still do nothing about it? The dryer vent is kind of a dead horse. Also, is it legally okay for him to just show up like this, and start drilling, hammering, sawing, without any sort of communication, no calling or knocking even, the lease specifically states "24 hrs. notice"? Also, I don't feel like taking legal action really, as I don't mind him "fixing" things at all, or coming over. It's the fact that he says he will call and he doesn't call or knock, he knows I am an insomniac, I have asked him several times to call ahead of time, and reminded him of the lease, and he still hasn't fixed the shower or gutter/soffet. So what say INGO, should I just move and be done with it?

(SRY, for the length. And no this is not a rant, I don't feel he's violating my rights per se, just being disrespectful, by never informing us of when he is coming over and refusing, essentially, to fix the shower or anything else that we have informed him of.)

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Move, it's not worth the hassle.

you should get a decent place for your family to live. If this landlord won't turn this into one, then get your family into a better situation :twocents:

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Paging 88GT!!!

I don't know the legal side of it but at the very least he seems rather disrespectful to me. Maybe I'm just spoiled with an awesome landlord, but I sure would have a problem dealing with that

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    I am also an insomniac and my family never understood the fact that i could not possibly fall asleep before 6 am, then at 9-10 am they are running around the house stomping yelling etc. Its frustrating but some people are just too stubborn to understand that some of us sleep during the day. So as far as that goes, I'd just say this guy sounds like a piece of work when it comes to respect.

As far as the problems, why don't you start calling him late at night when hes clearly asleep and reminding him that you had to take a cold shower. If he doesn't want to fix it himself, ask him if you can call in a professional plumber at his expense since he's the landlord.

I'm no lawyer, but I know some matters you can take into your own hands (and bill him) if the landlord refuses to acknowledge but idk if the cold shower is one

Side-note, my girlfriend just moved into a double a couple months back, her toilet leaks awful, the water in the shower is either ice cold or scolding hot, the house wreaks of nasty cat pee and dogs from previous tenant. He assured her everything would be in order when she moved in, and when she got there, things started to unfold quickly. The landlord refuses to do anything about it. Luckily she only has to give him 30 days notice, so needless to say shes looking for a new place already.

A perfect example of how filthy this place was when she moved in... we were wondering why the air was soo dusty and the heat wasnt working well. we took off the vent covers, no air filter, and literally at least 1 inch thick dust and animal hair in all the registers

Last edited:

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Seems not having hot water would be a violation on its own

I would think so too, but it's only the shower, not anywhere else in the house. I only assume it's because the shower fixture is either so old or corroded or stripped, otherwise, the rest of the house would be without hot water.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    I am also an insomniac and my family never understood the fact that i could not possibly fall asleep before 6 am, then at 9-10 am they are running around the house stomping yelling etc. Its frustrating but some people are just too stubborn to understand that some of us sleep during the day. So as far as that goes, I'd just say this guy sounds like a piece of work when it comes to respect.

Right, alot in my family have never understood it either.

As far as the problems, why don't you start calling him late at night when hes clearly asleep and reminding him that you had to take a cold shower. If he doesn't want to fix it himself, ask him if you can call in a professional plumber at his expense since he's the landlord.

As much as I want to, I'm pretty sure that would be harassment. We have thought about that but seeing as how he doesn't want to fix anything, I don't see him wanting to pay/reimburse us for repairs we do.

I'm no lawyer, but I know some matters you can take into your own hands (and bill him) if the landlord refuses to acknowledge but idk if the cold shower is one

Right, but I really think that is more hassle than it is worth, again.

Side-note, my girlfriend just moved into a double a couple months back, her toilet leaks awful, the water in the shower is either ice cold or scolding hot, the house wreaks of nasty cat pee and dogs from previous tenant. He assured her everything would be in order when she moved in, and when she got there, things started to unfold quickly. The landlord refuses to do anything about it. Luckily she only has to give him 30 days notice, so needless to say shes looking for a new place already.

A perfect example of how filthy this place was when she moved in... we were wondering why the air was soo dusty and the heat wasnt working well. we took off the vent covers, no air filter, and literally at least 1 inch thick dust and animal hair in all the registers

Wow, ours was similar, except it was just dust. Our landlords idea of "cleaning the furnace and vents" is replacing the filter. That's it.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Move, it's not worth the hassle.

you should get a decent place for your family to live. If this landlord won't turn this into one, then get your family into a better situation :twocents:

My sentiments exactly!

Paging 88GT!!!

I don't know the legal side of it but at the very least he seems rather disrespectful to me. Maybe I'm just spoiled with an awesome landlord, but I sure would have a problem dealing with that

Yeah the first time he showed up unannounced was an annoyance, the second and third is when it became disrespectful, along with not fixing our shower.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Check with the municipality to determine if it is a licensed rental property. Most cities, towns require it. Not sure about unincorporated areas. I would move but cause him problems in that sort of manner on the way out. I go into many slumlord properties on a daily basis for my job. Not worth it other than the above.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I would think so too, but it's only the shower, not anywhere else in the house. I only assume it's because the shower fixture is either so old or corroded or stripped, otherwise, the rest of the house would be without hot water.

Been a landlord. Still have 1 that my daughter rents. I would not ever let hot water fail...heat fail....A/C fail.....nothing. I even replaced light bulbs for some elderly renters on fixed incomes.
    My suggestion.....Move. If the butt heads have let the house get into this much diss-repair he will not invest as it is a revenue stream for them.

I met you at the Meet&eat in Nashville. I hope this works out for you.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    MOVE, he isn't going to spend the money putting a new roof on, changing the rafters re-plumbing... if so plan on a MAJOR rent increase. As far as your sleeping, I have worked nights for over 20 years and I will tell you that nobody cares. The world is run by people who work days and they will say they understand you need to sleep, and they will say that they will be respectful of your time, but they won't. EVER!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    MOVE, he isn't going to spend the money putting a new roof on, changing the rafters re-plumbing... if so plan on a MAJOR rent increase. As far as your sleeping, I have worked nights for over 20 years and I will tell you that nobody cares. The world is run by people who work days and they will say they understand you need to sleep, and they will say that they will be respectful of your time, but they won't. EVER!

I lived next door to a guy that was 3rd shift. I tried my best to work around his sleep time but the world has to go on. Life runs in daylight for most folks. Yard work, cook outs etc.
    It is very hard to do this and maintain a life. It is not my responsibility to see that someone else gets to sleep when I need to do my work. If I give it a good effort that is all I can or will do.
    I would expect no more from others.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Churchmouse is correct - I'm a landlord as well. We try hard to fix everything asap. Don't take matters into your own hands by fixing it and then charging for it (you can't legally to my knowledge). If it's causing you grief - then invoke the "happy clause" in your contract and move.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Is there a claim with the insurance company? Have you been late on any rent payments.
    Only time I've experienced or heard of that behavior is if the landlord was trying to quietly or voluntaruly evict someone.
    Once was the renter being two months behind on rent for 6 months, the other was when they had a "relative" who they wanted to move in .

I ask about the insurance claim because I'm confused, whose insurance carrier rides their customers about leaky roofs except in effort to deny future claims?
    I'd be worried about the lead and crud in the pipes which based on your age description are probably old galvanized or black pipe.
    Stay or go but get a good water purification system if you stay. That water will kill ya.lol

That being said, the slumlords don't care or count on the fact that they can jerk you around because you won't really bother with suing them over the 24hr notice clause.

Good luck and happy house hunting.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Been a landlord. Still have 1 that my daughter rents. I would not ever let hot water fail...heat fail....A/C fail.....nothing. I even replaced light bulbs for some elderly renters on fixed incomes.
    My suggestion.....Move. If the butt heads have let the house get into this much diss-repair he will not invest as it is a revenue stream for them.

I met you at the Meet&eat in Nashville. I hope this works out for you.

That's kind of how we feel about it. I remember, that was a good time! Thanks.

I lived next door to a guy that was 3rd shift. I tried my best to work around his sleep time but the world has to go on. Life runs in daylight for most folks. Yard work, cook outs etc.
    It is very hard to do this and maintain a life. It is not my responsibility to see that someone else gets to sleep when I need to do my work. If I give it a good effort that is all I can or will do.
    I would expect no more from others.
    Right, I'm only bothered by the fact that he didn't even knock. Like I had said in OP, if he would have just knocked and said "Hey I'm here to work on the roof." I would not be so bothered. I do not expect him to start at 12 p.m. or 1 p.m. just to try to mitigate my problems. I just expect, especially after him telling me directly, and me asking him politely a few times, to at least knock, or call me ahead of time.

Churchmouse is correct - I'm a landlord as well. We try hard to fix everything asap. Don't take matters into your own hands by fixing it and then charging for it (you can't legally to my knowledge). If it's causing you grief - then invoke the "happy clause" in your contract and move.

I can understand him wanting to fix things and I have no problem with that, I also would not just take matters in my own hands and foot him the bill. Mainly because I don't see him wanting to pay for it, but also because I do not have written permission from him, plus in the end it would just be cheaper to move.

Is there a claim with the insurance company? Have you been late on any rent payments.
    Only time I've experienced or heard of that behavior is if the landlord was trying to quietly or voluntaruly evict someone.
    Once was the renter being two months behind on rent for 6 months, the other was when they had a "relative" who they wanted to move in .

I ask about the insurance claim because I'm confused, whose insurance carrier rides their customers about leaky roofs except in effort to deny future claims?
    I'd be worried about the lead and crud in the pipes which based on your age description are probably old galvanized or black pipe.
    Stay or go but get a good water purification system if you stay. That water will kill ya.lol

That being said, the slumlords don't care or count on the fact that they can jerk you around because you won't really bother with suing them over the 24hr notice clause.

Good luck and happy house hunting.

Definitely not late on rent payments. As far as insurance company goes I know the landlord has been receiving calls from them about it, and they want him to fix it. As far as water goes it's generally filtered, but the worst plumbing ,TMK, is in the bathroom, the only bathroom.

I wouldn't be here asking, I'd be packing my bags and getting the F... out!

LOL!!

Top Bottom