• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I do recall this coming up last year.
    On the news report last it was stated that condominiums, housing groups, etc cannot prevent owners from flying the american flag. But that law doesn't exist for apartment owners preventing their tenants from flying the flag.
    As quoted on the report 'from a lawyer representing one of the apartment complexes' "The tenants have no first amendment rights".
    Really? How does a tenant complain about an apartment complex's policies then?
    I do understand signing a contract... But I do not understand how it is, that property owners (or those who 'lease' condo's) get different treatment from those who rent when it comes to patriotism?
    I do realize flying a 50' flag from your second story balcony could be an issue. But surely there's got to be some middle ground (sadly involving 'more laws')?

Can I rent your car and screw a flag mount to it? Drill a hole through the roof to put my xm antenna on it?

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Can I rent your car and screw a flag mount to it? Drill a hole through the roof to put my xm antenna on it?

Ok THAT I can understand. still no middle ground?
    They don't seem to have issue with hanging pictures, window coverings, etc as long as repairs are done upon termination.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Ok THAT I can understand. still no middle ground?
    They don't seem to have issue with hanging pictures, window coverings, etc as long as repairs are done upon termination.

The middle ground is a stand that doesn't require attaching a flag in any way to the structure with nails, screws, hooks, or the like. Do you think tenants are going to pay the bill to have siding, facia, and the like replaced for holes they put in it? You put holes in the exterior of a building, they leak. I spent tens of thousands of dollars on my brick, siding, and facia. There isn't a single nail or screw hole in it nor will there ever be.

Southwind

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    SW Indiana
    While the guy is waiting for permission to rehang his flag, maybe he could study up on the proper way to display it so he doesn't get it up backwards next time. The union should be on the left.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I guess I trust people more. Especially when it comes to hanging a simple flag.
    I've been a landlord for 12 years. Have had my fair share of problems. None of which a security deposit didn't cover.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah, non-compliance can be costly. I'm due $100 by Sunday because of two lease violations clearly spelled out in the lease. This is in addition to the cost of repairs I will have to make to remove the jack-ass-installed cable/satellite lines.

Don't have much sympathy for tenants who violate the lease then whine about it.

That was the absolute worst thing when a tenant would slaughter the roof and gables with the wrong tools to install a satellite system he had bought from some guys trunk. Yes, it did happen. He called me and asked if I would look at it and see what he had done wrong as it would not work....really. It was stolen and not going to work. He drilled a hole in the roof to get the cable into the attic and then popped a hole in the living room ceiling.
    All I could do was stare with my lower jaw on the floor.
    Yes, he was evicted and could not understand what I was so mad about.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    But that law doesn't exist for apartment owners preventing their tenants from flying the flag.

That is incorrect. Look up the freedom to dislay the american flag act of 2005. Then look up what the IRS defines as a "residential real estate asscociation". That includes apartment complexes, if 85% of the lots are used as residences. So yes, unless the lease clearly states that an American Flag can not be displayed, then the tenant is in the right. In the case of said story, the lease clearly stated that nothing can be hung from the balcony.

I faced the same thing last August. I had a letter in my mail box saying to take my flag down. The leasing agent would not clearify, and would not give me contact information for managment. Later I found out it was do to the way I had it mounted. All they had to do was say from the get go, and I would have not called Fox news. There was nothing in my lease stating I could not display the American Flag. I did my homework.

The lawyer was from the ACLU, I expect nothing but complete BS from them.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The first problem is "draping the flag" over the balcony. Dont drape it. HANG IT PROPERLY. Even if its with some cup hooks that will do minimal damage to the balcony. Display and respect our flag properly.

Ultimately, the management was apparently unaware what bad press can be caused by even appearing to disrespect ole glory.

$5 says unless you are the tenant from hell, a few #8 screws into the balcony railing to properly attach a flag holder wont be much cause for confrontation.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The first problem is "draping the flag" over the balcony. Dont drape it. HANG IT PROPERLY. Even if its with some cup hooks that will do minimal damage to the balcony. Display and respect our flag properly.

Ultimately, the management was apparently unaware what bad press can be caused by even appearing to disrespect ole glory.

$5 says unless you are the tenant from hell, a few #8 screws into the balcony railing to properly attach a flag holder wont be much cause for confrontation.

It did with me. I had my base screewed into the fence. Instead of them telling me that was the issue, even though it stated nothing in my lease about the fence, they would not clearify to me. After Fox came, the leasing agent would not even look at me, and she lost her job for what she said on camera. Apparently, the district manager was not happy. My video made it all across the country, and even to the UK. I was not going to be told to take down Old Glory, when nothing was stated in my lease.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It did with me. I had my base screewed into the fence. Instead of them telling me that was the issue, even though it stated nothing in my lease about the fence, they would not clearify to me. After Fox came, the leasing agent would not even look at me, and she lost her job for what she said on camera. Apparently, the district manager was not happy. My video made it all across the country, and even to the UK. I was not going to be told to take down Old Glory, when nothing was stated in my lease.

It's a shame this couldn't have just been a learning experience.
    It seems like everytime something happens, someone has to lose their job.
    Now don't get me wrong, sometimes that may be the right action. But nowadays, it just seems like we go past corrective action and go straight to firing.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pistolpete68
    Top Bottom