• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    I own 78 acres of ag/timber and can hunt under a land owner. I also have a lifetime license. In either case it doesn't matter what I put on the "tag". I simply fill out a small note paper (I keep a 3"x3" spiral note pad in my pack) with all of the necessary info. I either put land owner or lifetime with license number on the paper. I don't go to check stations. I just jump on the computer or my phone and check it in online, checking whichever I wrote on the paper.

It really isn't that complicated folks. No need to print off any temporary tags or go to a check station of any kind. Keep it simple.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I own 78 acres of ag/timber and can hunt under a land owner. I also have a lifetime license. In either case it doesn't matter what I put on the "tag". I simply fill out a small note paper (I keep a 3"x3" spiral note pad in my pack) with all of the necessary info. I either put land owner or lifetime with license number on the paper. I don't go to check stations. I just jump on the computer or my phone and check it in online, checking whichever I wrote on the paper.

It really isn't that complicated folks. No need to print off any temporary tags or go to a check station of any kind. Keep it simple.
    You still have to check it in as a landowner, even if you use the CheckIN online system. And IIRC, once that is done it needs tagged with the DNR printed tags using the confirmation number given during checkin.

Therefore, I just use those tags to begin with, hunter info, license info (exempt), and once you get the confirmation number you just write it down and go about your life.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    You still have to check it in as a landowner, even if you use the CheckIN online system. And IIRC, once that is done it needs tagged with the DNR printed tags using the confirmation number given during checkin.

Therefore, I just use those tags to begin with, hunter info, license info (exempt), and once you get the confirmation number you just write it down and go about your life.

1) I didn't say that it didn't need to be checked in as a landowner. It is a simple click on the website. In my case I can check it as landowner or lifetime, it is the exact same process.

2) No, you don't need to print out anything. You can simply write the confirmation number on your piece of paper and attach it to the deer. There is no "official" DNR authored tag needed. The paper simply needs to have the required info (date of kill, time of kill, method of kill, county of kill, buck/doe/button, hunter name and address, hunter license type & number, and confirmation number). They email you a confirmation as well, in case for some reason your paper tag gets destroyed or lost or say you need to take the body for processing, but the head to a taxidermist.

Again ... keep it simple. Whether I check one as landowner or lifetime, the process is exactly the same.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom