• mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    As a matter of fact, we have an appointment to meet the local DNR officer on our property this coming Monday.
    I'll add that to my list of questions for him.

Please let us know what he says. I don't want to be giving out incorrect info. :)

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Please let us know what he says. I don't want to be giving out incorrect info. :)

I have more questions for him than I care to type here, but I will be sure to relay that information here.
    I have heard for decades that landowners were not required to buy a license to hunt their own property, but was never sure that wasn't just folk lore.
    Until now I never had a reason to search for the answer.

The DNR officer volunteered to meet us on our property to discuss property management.
    He said he could help us with ideas on how to manage our property to ensure that we realize the potential that we desire.
    If we want more deer on our land, he will give advice on how to draw them in...

He seemed very nice and personable on the phone.
    I'm looking forward to a good working relationship with him.

Anyone else have questions for DNR? Post them up here by late Sunday night, 10-21-18.
    I'll write them down and include them with mine, then report back here.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We've had good experiences with the CO's here when we have had occasion to call them out for various issues. They can be a good resource.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015

The very best option, as always, is to read the actual legal code, and know it well. Conservation Officers are not there to interpret the law, they are enforcement. While I would not suggest arguing interpretation with Officers in the field, if you know the Law, and understand any applicable precedents, you are best prepared if your actions are ever questioned.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    So does living on a piece of property allow this exemption? I, along with a handful of other family members, live on our little piece of heaven but my grandparents are the only names on the deed.

Legally speaking, unless you are leasing the property, I do not believe you fall under the landowner excemption. Read it and see what you think.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    I would agree with this. My understanding is the landowner, spouse and children who live on the property are exempt.

This is another link that may be helpful. License Information | Indiana Hunting Seasons & Regulations ? 2018 | eRegulations

IC 14-22-11
    Chapter 11. Licenses and Permits; General Provisions
    IC 14-22-11-1
    "Farmland"; license requirements and conditions; public use airport manager reporting requirements
    Sec. 1. (a) As used in this section, "farmland" means agricultural
    land that is:
    (1) devoted or best adaptable for the production of crops, fruits, timber, and the raising of livestock; or
    (2) assessed as agricultural land for property tax purposes.
    (b) An individual may not take or chase, with or without dogs, a wild animal without having a license, except as follows:
    (1) An individual who is a resident or nonresident of Indiana while participating in a field trial that has been sanctioned by the director is not required to possess a license while participating in the trial.
    (2) Subject to subsection (d), an owner of farmland located in Indiana who is a resident or nonresident of Indiana and the spouse and children living with the owner may hunt, fish, and trap without a license on the land that the owner owns.
    (3) A lessee of farmland who farms that land and is a resident of Indiana and the spouse and children living with the lessee may hunt, fish, and trap without a license on the leased land.
    This subdivision does not apply to land that is:
    (A) owned, leased, or controlled by; and
    (B) leased from;
    the department.
    (4) An individual who:
    (A) is less than thirteen (13) years of age;
    (B) does not possess a bow or firearm; and
    (C) is accompanying an individual who:
    (i) is at least eighteen (18) years of age; and
    (ii) holds a valid license;
    may chase a wild animal without having a license.
    (5) The manager of a public use airport (as defined by 49 U.S.C. 47102(22)), or the manager's designee, may chase or take at any time, without a license, a:
    (A) white-tailed deer, except by trapping;
    (B) coyote;
    (C) wild turkey, except by trapping; or
    (D) migratory bird;
    that poses a threat to aircraft within the airport operations area.
    (c) The exceptions provided in this section do not apply to a commercial license issued under this article.
    (d) The right of a nonresident who owns farmland in Indiana (and of the spouse and children who reside with the nonresident) to hunt, fish, and trap on the farmland without a license under subsection (b)(2) is subject to the following conditions:
    (1) The nonresident may hunt, fish, and trap on the farmland without a license only if the state in which the nonresident resides allows residents of Indiana who own land in that state to hunt, fish, and trap on their land without a license.
    (2) While hunting, fishing, or trapping on the farmland, the nonresident must keep proof that the nonresident owns the farmland (for example, a tax receipt identifying the nonresident as owner) in a place where the proof is readily accessible by the nonresident.
    (e) The manager of a public use airport (as defined by 49 U.S.C. 47102(22)), or the manager's designee, shall report annually to the department the following:
    (1) The number of animals killed under subsection (b)(5) by species.
    (2) The date the animal was taken.
    (3) The name and address of the person who took the animal, other than a migratory bird.
    (4) The disposition of the animal.
    (5) The name and address of the person to whom the animal was given as a gift or donated (if applicable).
    A copy of the report must be kept at the public use airport (as defined by 49 U.S.C. 47102(22)) and be available upon request to an employee of the department. White-tailed deer and wild turkeys must
    be tagged or accompanied by a piece of paper that includes the name and address of the person who took the deer or wild turkey, the date the deer or wild turkey was taken, and the location where the deer or
    wild turkey was taken before processing of the deer or wild turkey begins. However, it is not a violation of this subsection if the manager of a public use airport (as defined by 49 U.S.C. 47102(22)),
    or the manager's designee, fails to submit an annual report under this subsection, as long as the manager of a public use airport (as defined by 49 U.S.C. 47102(22)), or the manager's designee, provides the
    relevant information requested by the department not later than fourteen (14) calendar days after receiving a request from the department. If the manager of a public use airport (as defined by 49 U.S.C. 47102(22)) or the manager's designee does not provide the information requested by the department within the required fourteen
    (14) day period, the manager of the public use airport (as defined by 49 U.S.C. 47102(22)) and any designee of the manager are required to obtain a permit from the department to chase or take a wild animal
    during the following calendar year.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Even though I don't have a huge plot of land to hunt that I own I am curious to hear about the land owner exemptions. Including ducks and geese, I have passed on turkeys because I didn't have my license.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    No call no show at the meeting again? :lmfao: Hope all went well and you did not get stood up again

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    No call no show at the meeting again? :lmfao: Hope all went well and you did not get stood up again

Actually, it was a mixed bag.
    Yes, the guy did show. He stayed for more than an hour, walked the entire property with us, and provided a wealth of information.
    Unfortunately it was not exactly the information I was looking for.

The guy that showed up was DNR, but he was on the forestry side, NOT a conservation officer.
    He told us what types of foliage we had, what we really should get rid of, what to nurture, and what to plant to draw in more fauna.
    He was very personable and gave us more information than I could commit to memory in that short of time.

When I got home I sent an email to the local C.O. requesting a meeting with him/her.
    We'll see what happens, but I just hope he's half as helpful and informative as the forestry guy.
    I did find out that the C.O. is based out of Lafayette, so I may be able to meet (or talk on the phone) without the hour drive.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Actually, it was a mixed bag.
    Yes, the guy did show. He stayed for more than an hour, walked the entire property with us, and provided a wealth of information.
    Unfortunately it was not exactly the information I was looking for.

The guy that showed up was DNR, but he was on the forestry side, NOT a conservation officer.
    He told us what types of foliage we had, what we really should get rid of, what to nurture, and what to plant to draw in more fauna.
    He was very personable and gave us more information than I could commit to memory in that short of time.

When I got home I sent an email to the local C.O. requesting a meeting with him/her.
    We'll see what happens, but I just hope he's half as helpful and informative as the forestry guy.
    I did find out that the C.O. is based out of Lafayette, so I may be able to meet (or talk on the phone) without the hour drive.

You may not get clear answers on some of your questions as many of the regs seem to be open to the interpretation of the CO who is involved when situations happen. I'm glad you got some good info though. If you don't get answers to your questions by meeting with them, you may want to email them or do some research on their web site to see if the answers can be found in the FAQs or other documents there.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I believe others are correct that you would need a federal waterfowl stamp for all ducks and geese. I have had my lifetime license since 2001 and have to buy that stamp if I would choose to hunt waterfowl. I don't think the feds care how much land you own, they want what's "theirs". The acreage limitation to hunt deer went away several years ago. It was 40 acres when I first started hunting. I would love to have 40 acres, but $700 for the lifetime license was a lot cheaper.

Top Bottom